• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Idea] - Make model uploads require a test map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Hello, Hive web masters and members. I want to make a suggestion.
Will it be better to require a test map when uploading a model (if it has any animations)? Because it's really annoying for me to do this every time i want to see a model :
1. Download the model
2. Extract
3. Open WE
4. Import files
5. Put the right paths
6. Bind the model to a unit
7. Save map
8. Reset WE
9. See the actual model

It would be a lot better if the uploader gives us an already made test map so that we have to do only this :
1. Open the test map upon downloading
2. See the model

This way one person (the uploader) saves the time of everyone who downloads it. It would be even better if there are spells on the model-binded unit so that we can see all the spell animations in game.
All of this was really easy with the 3D model opener in the Hive but...

I appreciate your time reading this!

CHEERS!

All approved models are already tested in-game and are useable. Moderators are there so that all the submitted models are functioning well in-game. If you only want to test the model if it's working properly in game, then you'll really have to do the steps you stated. It will be an additional task for a model creator if he will still provide test map for his model. Test Maps are only used for spells.

SpasMaster

Hosted Project: SC
Level 23
All approved models are already tested in-game and are useable. Moderators are there so that all the submitted models are functioning well in-game. If you only want to test the model if it's working properly in game, then you'll really have to do the steps you stated. It will be an additional task for a model creator if he will still provide test map for his model. Test Maps are only used for spells.

He doesn't want the feature that he suggests to see if the model is working "properly".

He wants to see the model ingame from all sides. Currently we can see models only on a screenshot and in order to check them out ingame we have to follow all of the above-mentioned steps, which is annoying.

I would be all for that idea, but I know Ralle is making a 3D model viewer for THW. Soo... yeah. Patience :p

Last edited:
Level 28
On my observation that model turn to green box/model not showing when you imported it properly is a bug that mostly occur when the map where you implemented is already tested when you open the editor.

I dunno if I explained that properly. But its like this.

1. Open Editor.
2. Test the Map.
3. Import model.
4. Then the green box/model not showing bug occur.

Well there is no real proof about this than mere observation through my time on modding/terraining. As far as I know I never experience this Editor bug on a plain map that wasn't tested yet upon opening the editor.

But its not really bothering if you just imported a unit model and you're pretty sure you imported it properly since it will work in-game no matter what.

Status
Not open for further replies.