• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Why don't you make a in website model viewer?

Would an in-web model viewer be a good idea?

• It doesn't really help that much

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don't really care

• It's useless but I don't mind it there will be this option

• No, this option should not be used at all

• I've got better idea (Please post)

• This idea is impossible to make because (Please post)

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it would be a good idea if you made an in-web model viewer. So if someone likes the model they don't have to download it, extract it, open up their viewer, load the model and delete it again if they don't like it.

They can just press one button and a new page opens with a model viewer and the model where you can change its angle and animations.

It would also be good if you did same with skins. :D

Of course it does not really help much if you only download one model but if you are looking for multiple models for your map it can save you quite lot of time and frustration.

I think it would be a good idea and save a lot of time, what do you think? :)

Level 7
If you feel like you're wasting time when downloading and checking models to use in your map(s), I doubt you deserve to use the works other people have spended hours on.

Level 25
That's no trust man!. If somebody ever uploads a model it should be because he thinks it is well. Oh, thinking it better, in this page not much people do that, they just export WoW models.

Anyways this is a bad idea. If you do that it would be like "intrusting" the modeller, like saying "I don't got trust in this user!". That's some sort of trolling for me!

Level 9
I know what HTML (HyperText Markup Language) is exactly considering i use it...Fine ill put it into other words then.

It would be annoying just to type the function into the HTML document, and it would also make it slower than it is already.

If you feel like you're wasting time when downloading and checking models to use in your map(s), I doubt you deserve to use the works other people have spended hours on.

I didn't say I WASTE the time. I just say that it would be quite usefull that you can just check how models look like and if you like them download it. Because some models look better on screenshot then in real game and other way round.

dude...your just lazy..
i dont think people r gonna spend alot of money and time just to do that while people can just download and look.
and maybe having that will just add to the sites
sloooowness.

In this case whats the point of screenshots? People can also download models and look at it. Screenshots add slowness as well. :?

Level 12
Your idea is excellent, I will explain:
- It will promote user lazyness: Users will no longer have to care about making good screenshots of their models, And people won't event have to do the super difficult process of importing a model.

- It will take a bunchload of time and human resources to make:[b/] Cool, most programmers would preffer a real programming language like C++ or maybe some of the .net crap at most, but let's make one in php! Let's us parse the mdx and instead of just counting polies and getting stats let's generate a camera compatible version of the model! probably by generating a flash animation or something like that (great! you have to learn flash too!) HTML with javascript seem like the most unfriendly environment to make a working model viewer so they are out of the question.

Also this site doesn't even have a model upload script able to recognize if a texture file is present in game or not, but now we will require it to get already existant skins to use them with the model, seems really possible.

- It will increase the chances of bugs A more complex system will have more chances to fail, and probably disallow people from uploading their models.

- And the last reason that makes this suggestion the best suggestion ever: It will make the site slower! Yeah, let's waste processor speed and server memory in parsing model files and generating flash animations of them. Also let's make every model download bit take much more time to load than maybe the model itself just to make it show a viewer.

Note: I didn't really bother to read the previous posts, I don't have the time, so I might be repeating stuff here[/img]

So will the in-web model viewer. Then you can see if this model is something what you want or not. And aniway I don't think that it will slow doen time if when you open the model, next to download link or somthing like that, you get just a LINK that leads you to model viewer. So I don't think a hyperlink will slow download time by that much.

Level 25
Here's what the program would have to do

1. Get a file and unzip it. This would download it to your computer by the way
2. On your harddrive, locate the WC3.mpq files. This could be bloody difficult depending on where you've put them and would probably require you to put where you've got them in a box. Yeah, you'd hate for them to become misplaced or something
3. Do a complete render of the file. Based on what you're saying, you're expecting a complete render of the equivilent of Magos' editor, which is basically the closest thing to Warcraft we have unless we import it. And there's about no way in hell we could just grab the Warcraft rendering engine, nope, we'd need to make it from near scratch
4. After you've finished screwing around with it, it would need to delete the file from your hard drive

Its basically impossible as far as I can tell. But if you can make it, then by all means, please do

Status
Not open for further replies.