• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Converting GUI into Efficient JASS

Changes made. Approved!

And thanks, Spartpilo, I think your post captured what I meant more accurately than mine.

@death: I didn't mean that misspellings made you immature, I just said that spelling correctly + grammar often gives an impression of maturity/credibility. It is just a tip. Grammar/spelling doesn't determine maturity, but it can probably help readers get a more positive impression of you. ;) And I suppose maturity isn't the right word--sophistication is a more accurate term.

I know it won't make a difference for people who are looking specifically for this tutorial, but they might choose a different tutorial if they find this one unreadable. It is like when you're playing a map, and it is great, but the cinematic text/quest text/item descriptions are all in broken english. It ruins the overall "feel" of it. This doesn't necessarily apply to you (since your tutorial is still readable), but hopefully my point is a bit more clear.

Level 29
Changes made. Approved!

And thanks, Spartpilo, I think your post captured what I meant more accurately than mine.

@death: I didn't mean that misspellings made you immature, I just said that spelling correctly + grammar often gives an impression of maturity/credibility. It is just a tip. Grammar/spelling doesn't determine maturity, but it can probably help readers get a more positive impression of you. ;) And I suppose maturity isn't the right word--sophistication is a more accurate term.

I know it won't make a difference for people who are looking specifically for this tutorial, but they might choose a different tutorial if they find this one unreadable. It is like when you're playing a map, and it is great, but the cinematic text/quest text/item descriptions are all in broken english. It ruins the overall "feel" of it. This doesn't necessarily apply to you (since your tutorial is still readable), but hopefully my point is a bit more clear.

lol dw about it. i know i type weird. i dont follow grammer / spelling not because i cant but because i dont want to. For something formal it should be good grammer and spelling thats y i updated my tutorial with spelling and grammer changes. Although i think i missed a few commas lol.

perfect grammer and spelling to me simply shows that u know how. i honestly dont care if its good or not unless its for something formal. ( like a tutorial)

Level 29
This is exactly how I learned JASS. I had done some of these steps exactly as you explained, and I learned a lot from other steps that I had not previously thought of.

Thanks for the tut !

No problem. This is the way i learned also. I just put in an easier way for newer users to learn Jass. Rather than the trial and error i always did lol.

Level 5
This should be in my tutorial page.

Code:
It is finished.

There is a link to a tutorial better describing them down below.

This is a GUI tutorial so structs, libraries, scopes are useless here.
Also listing all natives is not needed as GUIers don't use them much and they can find the ones they need if they do. Plus there are to many of them. function initiators ?
Im saying that I had a hard time finding out by myself what you pointed out....and what I did find is from converting gui to jass. And every thing I converted was called a BJ and said it was inefficient. So it would be easier to make an extensive list. And describe what its use is. how it can be manipulated.

Also you never know what people will use. The person you created the tutorial for could have an easier time creating a system you might use down the road.

Lastly, this is for a separate tutorial. Yours is the basics of efficient coding if you know alittle about jass already. what I was describing is the need for a tutorial. If someone a newbie says they need a tutorial. It shouldn't be refuted by someone that already knows how to code. If you can't do it then I guess I can make a thread requesting its production. Just say its too much work and I wont do it. Don't say it will be wasted. You never know what may come of your efforts.

I downloaded Jasscraft and looked at the list. It is an extensive list. But if a pro wanted to help newbies then they would take up the banner. (like I said this ultimate guide for interactions and manipulation would be in a series not just one tutorial) Also JassNewgen doesn't have the full list of Bj's and Natives for you to write your own code. Or if it does its inefficient. Thought I do believe the version i have is in alpha so that might be why.

The tutorial does not have outdated information. I have no idea what you mean by natives are recognizable after call. BJs and Natives can be inserted into other parts of the script makes no sense either.
I wasn't talking about your tutorial.... I was talking about other tutorials on hive when I said this part. What I meant is that Getdyingdestructible( a bj) was not explained to me well. and that is what I mean by inserting code into other code. This can be inserted into a native or another BJ. For example call createdestructible (Getdyingdestructible(), 0, 0, 0) <---- not real code just using it as an example.

ITEs and Loops are covered in basic tutorials. Also Do nothing action is never needed. All it does is call an empty function so it cannot make something work. It can make something not work if it causes it to hit the op-limit.
Im just telling you my experienced. I used a do nothing in one of my ITE during one of my coding experiences and it magically started working.

This is not needed as I have already had more than a few thousand say this guide helped them a lot. Also when I made this I did not know any languages besides GUI / Jass / vJass
Again this is not about your specific tutorial...This is related to a tutorial that would cover the one above that lists all the BJs, Natives, Locals, etc and describes their interaction with each other.

If you want to continue the talk on my tutorial please do it in my tutorial page so it does not clutter this thread with things that have nothing to do with this thread.

I believe edo494 meant to say BJs not globals in that.
What I said is in spoiler.

Level 17
Please reconsider that :
It's better to keep local variable names shorter. You can use one letter for these most of the time.
While it's true that many times using one letter is just fine (such as i for a loop), readability is the must.
And then we have tools such as wc3mapoptimizer. I mean that shouldn't be up to the mapmaker itself but on some tool.

I wouldn't say that conditions don't open a new thread, anyway jass is not multi threaded.
Conditions are indeed faster but they also reset the limit op, just as actions do.
Also you can't use some jass native functions inside conditions (such as TriggerSleepAction, duh ... and PauseGame and other sync functions, such the ones with gamecache, and maybe more)

Level 18
Fix your bbcodes.

Also,Ask them to merge the conditions and actions and use conditions rather than action for triggers.Actions creates new thread,conditions don't.So your tutorial is not fully completed.

It was implemented into tutorial.
But
Please warn people they will not be able to use
call TriggerExecute( gg_trg_name )
if gg_trg_name is using trick with move action to conditions section
People, like me, who learn jass dont know that.
Moreover: good tutorial
zibi