• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Vanilla Jass Header Initialization

Vanilla Jass Header Initialization

Introduction
In this tutorial, I'm going to teach you some of the variant and effective inits or initialization of the Map Header, and also a technique of mine which is somewhat unique.

One of the problems with vanilla JASS is that you can't create initialization functions in the map's header. It isn't as simple as creating an initialization function in a trigger. However, there are ways to get around this problem.

Before we start, if you are coding right now, leave the Initialization function of your script in the Header and read the following.

Tip #1 : Use an initializing trigger.
This technique is the most commonly used. What it does is simply like this:
JASS:
// A Header code
function InitMe takes nothing returns nothing
    set udg_Hash = InitHashtable()
endfunction

// Seperate code, inside a trigger
function InitTrig_Init takes nothing returns nothing
    call InitMe()
endfunction

As you can see, you used a trigger to initialize a code inside the header via executing it inside the Initialization function of a trigger.

Another example:
JASS:
function Init1 takes nothing returns nothing
    call BJDebugMsg("First Initialization complete")
endfunction

function Init2 takes nothing returns nothing
    call BJDebugMsg("Second Initialization complete")
endfunction

// a seperate code, inside a trigger
function InitTrig_Hello takes nothing returns nothing
    call Init1()
    call Init2()
endfunction

Tip #2 : Use the trigger itself as a customized Header

Somewhat impossible you say? For normal WE, yes, because this doesn't compile, though if you look into this method/tutorial:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ials-280/use-functions-other-triggers-232537/ , it will tell you how to use functions from other triggers, or making it a customized Header.

Here's an example of how to do it:
JASS:
function Add takes real r, real r2 returns real
    call SaveReal(udg_Hash, 0, 0, r + r2)
    return r + r2
endfunction

function Sub takes real r, real r2 returns real
    call SaveReal(udg_Hash, 0, 0, r - r2)
    return r - r2
endfunction

function Mul takes real r, real r2 returns real
    call SaveReal(udg_Hash, 0, 0, r * r2)
    return r * r2
endfunction

function Div takes real r, real r2 returns real
    if r2 == 0 then
        call SaveReal(udg_Hash, 0, 0, 0)
        return 0
    endif
    call SaveReal(udg_Hash, 0, 0, r/r2)
    return r/r2
endfunction

function InitTrig_MyHeader takes nothing returns nothing
endfunction

use the script from other script:
JASS:
function Print takes nothing returns nothing
    local real r
    set r = Div(1, 2)
    set r = Mul(r, r)
    set r = Sub(r, r)
    set r = Add(r, r)
    call BJDebugMsg(R2S(r))
endfunction

function InitTrig_Hello takes nothing returns nothing
    call Print()
endfunction

Tip #3 : My Method
This method is actually not initialized on Game Start.

I'm going to show you how I initialize my header without using any triggers, or perhaps, if someone use one of the functions in the code. My method is somewhat unique because I haven't seen somebody use this kind of technique.

Here's how it goes, you need first a variable that can be constant(real, boolean, integer, etc.) but I'll suggest boolean. This boolean will be our Initialization checker. So how to use it? Here's an example:

JASS:
//Whole script in header
function InitError takes nothing returns nothing
    if not udg_InitError then // check whether InitError is initialized
        // if not, set InitError to true
        set udg_InitError = true

// Code constants or initialized values, example:
    endif
endfunction

function Error takes string message returns nothing
    call InitError() // calls everytime Error is called, but executes once.
    set udg_Error_Stack = udg_Error_Stack + 1
    call SaveStr(udg_Hash, 0, udg_Error_Stack, message) // working
endfunction

As you can see in the script above, the code initializes when the function Error is called,though the initialization is kept executed once due to the variable "udg_InitError"

Here are some codes that uses this kind of method:
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/spells-569/queuetable-v1-0-a-236053/?prev=status=a&u=Almia
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/spells-569/macro-v1-2-a-236764/?prev=status=a&u=Almia
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/spells-569/stacktable-v1-0-a-235990/?prev=status=a&u=Almia
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...-indexer-v1-5-a-227314/?prev=status=a&u=Almia
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/spells-569/linked-list-table-v1-4-a-230076/?prev=status=a&u=Almia

As you can see, some of the codes don't have Init functions, this is because they are merged in the main function of the system, which is the first function to be called, e.g Register..... , Create......

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good. A similar technique was also used for local handle vars:
JASS:
function LocalVars takes nothing returns gamecache 
    if udg_GameCache == null then
        set udg_GameCache = InitGameCache("LocalVars.w3v")
    endif
    return udg_GameCache
endfunction

It is a good technique overall without too much overhead.

You can still claim it as your own, though. After all, you discovered it by yourself. :p I just posted that to show that it is indeed a reliable method. :)

Almia said:
One of the problems in Vanilla Jass is the Header Initialization. The problem is that the Header can't be initialized inside the Map Header. But, there are some ways of initializing them.

Could be rephrased. I'd recommend:

One of the problems with vanilla JASS is that you can't create initialization functions in the map's header. It isn't as simple as creating an initialization function in a trigger. However, there are ways to get around this problem.

Something like that.