• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Contest: Icon Set for Gaias Retaliation Stats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
Thank you, Zweib for the interest. Please, take a look at the new Agility icon, its a Wing like you suggested. I did try to replicate Diablo II 'Dragon Blight' skill. Also, please review my Wisdom icon.

Level 1
@Vestra Your second statement is true enough. Well, I like your idea on your third statement, but isn't too much consideration for the players? Gaias gameplay is simple, however, I pursue my theme on hero-stat to prevent misclicks on stats, since, they are duplicated textures. Also, I realize that there is -repick and -load command, but due to that were simply avoiding repetition of gameplay, and you know what repetition feels like. What I'm stressing here is the simplicity of the icons that makes it 'Failure To Recognize Is Not an Option', I know symbols are meant for different languages, its usage is to communicate easily to other languages by texturized gestures like fist of 'strength' which is obvious.

Is this the one you are looking forward to? I might make more of this but in the case of Gaias it will not fit (correct me if I'm wrong), as Gaias theme and icon art is different with this one. If Zwieb will allow me, I can make more of this, and will implement in the future.

For now, I'll do rethink Zwieb idea and of course your 'first statement' suggestion. Thanks.

Icon Description:

Absolute Fist (Strength) - The iron rule of one-self it can be chaotic, good, evil, lawful, or neutral.
Sea Dragon (Agility) - An icon, a God, a tyrant whose speed and reflexes is unmatched.
Mystic Eye (Wisdom) - The eye that enables the user to release more magical energy.
Aegis of Vitality (Constitution) - Aegis that enhances heroes health.

I want to see the INT badly ..

Level 5
Are you sure you'll want to implement those icons to the map? In my opinion, I think it won't fit with the Warcraft UI. Also something simplier as "+" for stats icons makes the map look a lot better, as it currently is. Unless you're planning on chaning all the textures from the UI of the map, to be honest, they won't look cool.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Are you sure you'll want to implement those icons to the map? In my opinion, I think it won't fit with the Warcraft UI. Also something simplier as "+" for stats icons makes the map look a lot better, as it currently is. Unless you're planning on chaning all the textures from the UI of the map, to be honest, they won't look cool.
I will check it ingame and see how they fit once they are done. It shouldn't be hard to make adjustments to those icons when they are done to make them match the UI. Until now, I think they would look really cool.

Level 2
@GasQueen Don't worry I can convert it to colored ones. Testing and Implementation wouldn't hurt the game.

@Zwieb Sorry, Zwieb, can't release the int one now. Having problems w textures. :) Seems, I've run out of ideas, but I'm really into it, and polishing it more, to fit it with the rest of my work.

Level 8
I would suggest "opened book" for wisdom and "eye with radiance" for Inteligence(inner eye brighter and outer side darker"

Level 2
@Hawajska Thank you, Hawajska. But, the wisdom icon must be remain 'unchanged', anyways thanks for the suggestions. It seems I figured out already, what INT would be like.

Level 13
Maybe try making the inner of the wisdom eye brighter? I do like the rest though, the staff for int looks quite good.

Level 2
@Vestra Thanks :). I'll just create a new one for Wis. What you suggest is impossible, unless people are resistant to eye-sore. :)

Level 2
@Vestra Might want to look at the new Wisdom icon. Is it okay? I chose cobra because, it is the personification of hidden wisdom.

Level 13
It's interesting but it's not an image I'd associate with wisdom, and eye or something to do with the mind is more connected to wisdom than a cobra. Consider how the stat affects the hero and what the word means.

Something that would really blow my mind is 5 different icons, each using the hand model you have.

You already have the clenched fist for strength, perhaps different hand movements could represent attributes?
It's a longshot, and going away from something zwieb has already approved but you might be able to bring that idea to life if it's something you like?

Say, for example, a grasping hand with indications of movement for agility, as though it was moving fast, to evade or grab something.
Or a hand with its palm facing the player, fingers tight together in a 'stop' motion to represent constitution and durability.

Wisdom could be a welcoming hand, palm facing up, fingers curving inward. Accepting of new ideas, tempting others to learn from it.

Intelligence could be another hand with its palm facing the player, this time with the fingers spread, maybe some kind of glow to represent power.

Just ideas, but something you might want to consider.

Level 8
meditating guy would look better tbh, and btw how about making cap for %resists from wisdom? i already see wisdom based heros fighting fl xD

Level 2
@Vestra Heh, I posted the 'Eye' and 'Cobra' :) Zwieb will decide on that. However, your idea seems interesting. I know what you mean, but you know really I'm not that really expert on what I'm really doing right now, but I'll give it a shot some-time. :)

@Hawajska Well, it seems it will take a long time to produce one really :). %resists? yeah good idea, but isn't more nice if Zwieb will decide on that particular matter. :)

Level 2
@Zweib Hi, if you want to test my icons, I can upload the files now. Anyway, please review them first for further suggestions and revisions.

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Cobra icon looks awesome... I'd really love to use it, but the problem is that I can not associate a cobra with wisdom. I'd rather see another 'eye' for wisdom.

I had trouble recognizing the staff as a staff when I looked at it the first time. It looked like a flesh eating plant or some kind of monster to me (the black orb being the "mouth")...maybe try something like a head for intelligence?

Level 2
@Zwieb Hmm.. I posted my skull one. Please, take a look. I'll try another for wisdom, and I'll try to revise the wand, to make it more recognizable.

"In Egypt, Cobra was a personification of hidden wisdom. Cobra on the Egyptian Pharaoh’s crown is Egyptian Cobra (Naja haje), an emblem of royalty. The Cobra Goddess (Wadjet) would defend the Pharoah, as he wore the crown, since he represented Egypt. This Cobra was also known as Asp, whose bite allegedly killed Queen Cleopatra."

This is my insight why I chose cobra for the WIS icon. Just sharing.

Level 13
Although the cobra is associated with Egyptian wisdom, that would be difficult to tie to gaias lore.

Level 2
Hello Zwieb, I've been totally busy this last few days. Since, there is more important things that has to be dealt with.

I'll be able to work on it today, but I cannot guarantee that I'll update the thread with new icons. I'm not confident with the skull icon, but since you are looking for it I'll update the icons, please take a look @ page (3).

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Uh, do you still waiting for the request? I was too bored so I made a few icons after I tried your map. If you dont want it, I'll just post at icons section and see whether its acceptable or not.
attachment.php

Icons in the order are:
Strength - Agility - Intelligence - Constitution - Wisdom

Well if you got different idea of placement, feel free to change it.

Attachments

• AttributeBonuses.jpg
    AttributeBonuses.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 237
  • Attribute Icons.rar
    39.1 KB · Views: 32

Zwiebelchen

Hosted Project GR
Level 35
Uh, do you still waiting for the request? I was too bored so I made a few icons after I tried your map. If you dont want it, I'll just post at icons section and see whether its acceptable or not.
attachment.php

Icons in the order are:
Strength - Agility - Intelligence - Constitution - Wisdom

Well if you got different idea of placement, feel free to change it.
Looks very nice! How about adding symbols/engravings to them aswell?

I noticed that on the wisdom button, there are stars and such. Maybe add that for all icons to match the specific theme of the button, i.e. wings/boots for agility, a chain or hook for strength, runes for intelligence and a bandage or blood drop for constitution.

Level 13
truth be told I'm none to fond of those colours, I'mma give making icons a go tomorrow as its late.

Level 5
I would rather see plain crosses with a color assigned to each in example:
Strength - Red
Agility - Green
Intelligence - Blue
Constitution - Yellow?
Wisdom - Purple
But thats just my two cents.

Level 13
now those are kind of nice, I'd personally swap agil and con though, maybe make wisdom a dark blue to allign wisdom and con to their respective pool colours ingame. Very nice though Ugo

Level 2
Hello, Zwieb. As much as I want to give time for my icons, I cannot do so. Just today, I manage to come up with the closest look of int icon with the link you provided last time. Tell me if the new icon needs revision. Thanks.

Level 3
I think we shoulde make it simple, after clourize and stylize. About colour, I think to make it shade less, don't too shine, it will suit for gameplay :D. My idea:
Strenght - Black
Agility - Grey
Intelligent - White
Cons - Red
Wisdom - Blue
Dear Zwieb, Is this last progress in making 1.2 :D ?

Level 10
Dear Zwieb, Is this last progress in making 1.2 :D ?
There is still a LOT to do for 1.2 to come out. Before Zwiebel even really begins working on 1.2 he is going to release a 1.1n. In fact these icons might even be for 1.1n. 1.1n is going to have a new world boss among some other things. After 1.1n comes out zwiebel still needs to finish a little terraining I believe for D4 (Like one islands worth), as well as creating all the quests and items and monsters and bosses and new spells for 1.2. So it will take him some time in order to finish it.

Level 3
Oh yes, I only want to know progress making map. Here, I also make a set icon for this thread. But I don't know how to post attachment file and image preview on my post :(. Someone give me some instruction please :D.

Status
Not open for further replies.