• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Campaign] Conquest Of an Island

Status
Not open for further replies.
Conquest Of an Island (Human Campaign)

Conquest Of An Island
Conquest Of an Island
by Footman16 as part of Tales Of The Alliance
Conquest Of An Island

219951-albums6124-picture67363.jpg

This campaign is my first real attempt at starting and following through a project, as, like lots of people I get distracted by cool new models on the hive and think of a Campaign to use them all. I am a staunch fan of the Alliance and I couldn't wait to start work on this project so hopefully I'll see it through.

The Story

Right as most of you know during WoW: Cataclysm the horde and alliance go to war, but unlike warcraft 3, the most Wow can do for a war though is patches that create tents here and there. I have decided to portray war Warcraft 3 style; that includes bases, battle and armies. So, the story goes that the horde, in order to strike at the mainland Stormwind have set up shop on a newly risen island near the maelstrom. After 2 days without an expected attack King Varian Wrynn has decided to send Commander Istan and an alliance force to take the island for their own. As most stories go however, once Istan and his men/women leave Azeroth the mystery envelops them all. Who created the Island? Why do they need? What do they want? Are they hostile...

Gameplay

This is not the full campaign only what I've done so far. That is 2 interludes and three chapters that set up the story and lead to a pivotal point. My reckoning for the new Human techtree is that the Alliance of WoW is drastically different to the Alliance of Lordaeron, so you will see Humans, Elves (High and Night), Dwarves and Draenei :ogre_haosis: all working together.
Screenshots

219951-albums6124-picture65644.png
219951-albums6124-picture65645.png
219951-albums6124-picture76594.png
219951-albums6124-picture65643.png
219951-albums6124-picture65646.png
219951-albums6124-picture66705.png
219951-albums6124-picture66704.png
219951-albums6124-picture66703.png

Credits

Hawking
Cavman
Sellenisko
CloudWolf
67_chrome
tenebrae
Tranquil
Kitabatake
paladinjist
skrab
Frankster
Mr.Goblin
epsilon
dickxunder
Tarrasque
MasterHaosis
Misha
levigeorge1617
takakenji
chr2
Zerox
PROXY
Fan
The Weird Human
supertoinkz
Mephestrial
Tauer
Red XIII
RED BARON
FrIkY
If I have used your model and forgotten to give credit please tell me and I will rectify it immediately.

Introduction: Completed
Chapter One: Triggers - 60%
Chapter Two: Completed
Chapter Three: Completed
Interlude 1: Completed
Chapter Four:Completed
Chapter Five: Completed
Chapter Six: Completed
Interlude 2: Completed
Chapter Seven: Triggers Started
Chapter Eight: Completed
Interlude 3: Started
Chapter Nine: Start Triggers
Epilogue: terrain done but loads of triggers

EDIT: If someone would like to make the AIs for the base missions then they are more than welcome to offer. There are two defense missions and about 3 other base missions all of which have roughly 2-3 players that require an AI.

Last edited:
Level 7
I tried downloading this to test it, put it in my maps folders but couldnt find it in WC3, I notice it is a W3N file? Whats that, all my other maps are either W3M or W3X files. Is this a campaign file? How do I play costum campaigns?

Anyway the screen shots look good, and I like the idea of a full alliance techtree with night elves/Dreani etc.

However I really think you need to rethink the name, it sounds very umm... think of something more interesting sounding.

Level 7
Hey there, I managed to get the campaign to work, I was being a noob. Anyway yes I enjoyed this but I think theres alot you can do to make it more interesting. Here is my review:

StoryLine:
Firstly the story telling at the very start didnt really explain why they were going to the islands, what their objective was etc. Why are the orcs even on the island?

The main charcter himself I did not find very interesting at all, his abilities are boring and that sword strike ability needs some kind of special effect to make it more interesting. He is too similar in looks and playstyle to Arthas. However the elf Ranger woman was more fun to play but I have always prefered the use of Ranged Heroes.

I was very impressed by the cutscene where you indroduce the main villain, the Banshee able to possess the body of sea witches, it's engaging, character building and at times humerous aswel. I like the original idea you have for this villain, infact I think the villains have much more interesting characters than your heroes, I'd definitly rathar play a campaign following them lol.

Terrain/Art
The terrain looks realistic and well thought out, especialy from a strategic viewpoint, but I wasnt sure why some maps seemed to jump from Lordaeron Summer tilset to Sunken Ruins? I think you should look at the Sunken Ruins maps of the Night Elf EXP campaign for ideas to make the terrain better.

In general I like your use of models althought not sure about the wow ripped Orc grunt model. Also the eyes on the main character's portrait (estan I think his name is) look wierd, perhaps use a diff portrait with this model or reskin it.

Gameplay:

I really liked how you gave the player the choice between siding with the orcs or not, nice touch but in future use floating text as I wasnt sure which coloured circle meant what consequence.

I think you should completely overhaul or just take out the first mission, it is a very slow mission to complete with just one gold mine and alot of naga neutrals to fight through and even then you have to kill not one but 3 orc bases. All this before the storyline has barely begun. If you don't take this out or improve it dramaticaly I think you will loose alot of playsers just on the first mission. Its only in the second mission that things get interesting and you introduce more characters.

Anyway overall I enjoyed this and it's nice to see someone making single player campaigns based in wow lore for the times when you can't be bothered with Bnet.

Why are the orcs on the island? In the intro I explain its to strike at mainland stormwind, a bit like when Spain used the thingy islands (can't remember the name) as a drop off point. I came up with the idea that the distance between Kalimdor and Azeroth must be quite vast so in order to decrease risk to fleets etc the orcs use the island as a Theramore to the east. About the tile sets, the islands this campaign is based on is the ones from the demo campaign but having temples was necessary so I decided to use a blend of lordaeron, ashenvale and sunken ruins for the effect. About the commander Istan skin, it can be found on the skins section of this very website by cloud wolf. The first mission will probably be improved but for now it serves as an introduction to the new tier system. There will be a lot variation between some missions and I have plans for a naval mission in the works:).
The Orc grunt model is not a rip, in fact almost all custom models, icons etc can be found here on this site, but I'll change the grunt as for Istan I don't see the problem but thats probably just me. Anyway I'd like to know how Istan plays like Arthas? Arthas is defence/tank Istan is Offence/tank. Thanks for the feedback and hope you enjoyed.

Last edited:
I am still working on this so until this post is deleted or I say it's stopped work will continue

Right now I'm working on a the second interlude which reveals the plot for the last part of the campaign. Chapter 8 and 9 use the same terrain so I'm killing two birds with one stone and that decreases my work load.

I've moved the mission progress to the OP to make it easier for people to see.

More missions might be added.

Last edited:
Level 9
Hello there Footman16. So far, the campaign is pretty good. But I have some suggestions. The normal Grunt (Campaign screen model) Looks far too HD. You should go back to using the normal Grunt model. That can also reduce the filesize a little. Also, another one. Mur'guls and Murlocs, HATE EACH OTHER. I saw that you were making the mur'guls and murlocs work together with the Naga (Those 2 races also hate the Naga, they're just in slavery). I also saw that in the Ghostly Presence chapter thingy, when Zul'jira was a ghost and was going for Azshara's statue, she killed the murloc and moved on. But the murloc suddenly woke up from his dying body and still worked. You should fix that bug (make the murloc play his stand animation first then get killed). Also, it's weird that Istan suddenly gets his voice deeper and then gets younger. You should just pick Furion's voice and add a little Uther spice. All in all, this campaign is pretty good. 4/5 for the win.

Last edited:
The demo is actually pretty outdated with most of the changes I've made. For example the grunt is back to normal as for the Murloc in the interlude I'll fix that.

By the way about the mur'gul and murlocs "working" with the naga you said yourself they are enslave and I renamed all the mur'gul in the first to Murloc anyway. I understand your confusion but you sort of answered your own question. For the record I know more about warcraft lore than real life Jk, but I see your points and they would be fair if I hadn't made some of the changes.

Istan's voice I will change as well. Any gameplay feedback? This will be the first in a series of campaigns by the way about the alliance.

Level 9
The demo is actually pretty outdated with most of the changes I've made. For example the grunt is back to normal as for the Murloc in the interlude I'll fix that.

By the way about the mur'gul and murlocs "working" with the naga you said yourself they are enslave and I renamed all the mur'gul in the first to Murloc anyway. I understand your confusion but you sort of answered your own question. For the record I know more about warcraft lore than real life Jk, but I see your points and they would be fair if I hadn't made some of the changes.

Istan's voice I will change as well. Any gameplay feedback? This will be the first in a series of campaigns by the way about the alliance.
Well I forgot to make a question and just randomly said things. Anyways, since I'm not too good at strategies, Chapter 1 made me reach 3 hours of gaming. And surprisingly I reached 3 hours too at the caravan chapter with the orcs. Just a small spoiler question, What would have happened if I got to the red circle? In other news, I didn't found any bugs in playing. Jolly good show.

Level 3
Very good campaign!I realy like the idea of an united Alliance with the humans,dwarfs and elfs.Althought..I think a found a bug.In the last map named,A Fishy Problem, i have chosen to help the Horde and when i finish all the three quests,nothing happens,have i done something wrong?..Oh and the high elfs keep attacking the caravans even thought i try to protect it..I had to kill them in order to finish the quest...Despite that,it was a great campaign and I can't wait for the next update! :)

Sort of and I got side tracked by my own little terraining project. I have very little left to do it is just the motivation to get it all done that is the problem. I have started work again with a renewed vigour so I would say that I should get it finished sometime in the summer if not early August but it really does depend.

Update

Well guys I kinda lied about how close I was to finishing. I am still close but I have more than just three big things to do also the demo is now really outdated and plagued with bugs I have only fixed in my version. I have added chapter 7 to the work list and made it completely different as originally the 3 chapters were going to use the same terrain but that wouldn't work. I am really quick at making triggers especially cinematics but I think I might need to bring someone in to clean all the leaks etc and streamline my triggers.

Last edited:
Well I've sort of delayed it a bit and started work on the sequel to this one. They're both part of the same project and I like to take the break.

After I've done a bit on that one I'll continue work on this as it is really close to release. When I've got all the campaigns completed in Tales of the Alliance I'll release it as a pack exclusive to the Hive.

Level 2
Well I've sort of delayed it a bit and started work on the sequel to this one. They're both part of the same project and I like to take the break.

After I've done a bit on that one I'll continue work on this as it is really close to release. When I've got all the campaigns completed in Tales of the Alliance I'll release it as a pack exclusive to the Hive.

i wanna test your map how can i do that pls help :grin:

Level 2
Well it's not released yet and I took the demo version out due to it being very different to the finished product with inunemerable bugs, glitches etc.

Well see how quickly I can get it finished hopefully by November/December.

aha ok, your idea seems pretty good i wish you good luck with your other ones :) :ogre_hurrhurr::grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.