• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Campaign: Midnight Romance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Midnight Romance

Introduction:
Midnight Romance is a campaign that tells the tale of a human warrior who was raised by the Horde and falls in love with a Night Elf woman. The warrior has a thirst for power and will do anything in order to achieve his objective. The story takes place a few years after The Frozen Throne. I dropped my previous projects so that I can work on this. Making this campaign is a lot more fun than making player vs. player maps, but that's just me.

Progress:
I just started this project yesterday. I just completed the Introductory Movie (Prologue). It's pretty basic, I will probably add more doodads, environment, and other stuff later. Right now I'm starting the first playable map.

Act I: A Warrior's Tale:

Prologue - To Find a Hero - 100% Complete
Chapter 1 - The Trial of Strength - 98% Complete (Room for improvement)
Chapter 2 - The Trial of Dexterity - 5% Complete
Chapter 3 - Best Friends
Chapter 4 - The Trial of Endurance
Chapter 5 - The Silver Sniper
Interlude - Urgent Message
Chapter 6 - Search and Rescue
More titles will be thought of later

The Prologue is a cinematic map, if you wish to view it you may download the attachment on this post.

I welcome any feedback from anyone. Is the story intriguing? Did the prologue want you to know more? Is this a campaign that you look forward to seeing be completed?

Attachments

• 1. Prologue (No Music).w3x
    33.7 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Level 9
OK here's my feedback.... dont take it too badly

The introduction text

Was good, if not unnecessary. You're trying to set up an 'epic feel' here it seems but for some reason it just doesn't feel that way to me. Maybe if you approached it as a much more everyday story such as using some words like;

'unbeknownst to a pair of orc warriors, a boring day was to become much more interesting'

Just something relating to the actual upcoming scene, leave the whole suspense and cliffhanger style text until the end.

Also the chosen music isn't really fitting, it's an excellent song (dont get me wrong guilty gear is probably the best soundtrack from a game ever) but it's a bit fast paced. If you want a more dramatic song still I'd recommend requiem for a dream it sets a mood well.

YouTube - Requiem for a dream

Scene 1 (the basket arrives)

OK the first thing I noticed was that the left of the map has a big gap that goes back to nothing, and the trees are clustered too. Probably spread them out more and use some raising and lowering of terrain rather than a blizzard cliff maybe. Not many shores will have a cliff right next to them like this.

The dialog for the most part was actually OK, although sometimes 2 sentences could be merged like when he says oh whats this *pause* it's a human, just make it the second sentence to capture the orcs surprise more immediately.

And well done on using some voice samples, it was a good idea.

Scene 2 (pig man?)

This scene kinda confused me as I wasn't sure if it had much of a purpose, not to mention the orc fighting the pig man is holding a baby while he does it :xxd: might want to make that the first scene to introduce the orcs maybe?

Scene 3 (night elf village)

Really all I can recommend you change here is the terrain, it's very even and undetailed for a night elf village, maybe cast some rays of moonlight on the scene, add some shrubbery, make the trees more random, apply a fog and some flowers for example. The dialog here was good, the whole 'dual story' approach works well.

Scene 4 (the encampment)

OK the main thing to fix is, well make the village come to life! Make units run around the village on errands while the three talk, spruce up the village a bit too, this i recommend because thrall talks so much so have other things going on to watch too.

Overall good ideas are present, it's just the execution of them I find lets it down. And you might want to take the song out for now people won't download this map otherwise with the size!

Hope that helps :)

Level 4
That definitely helps, thanks for the feedback. Scene 2 was just a filler scene, just shows their movement as they run back to the encampment and I chose the term pig man because in the Orc Campaign in RoC, when the Orcs first land on Kalimdor they call them pig men because they have never seen them before. To them they look like half human half pig. I'll be sure to fix all the scenes accordingly and make a copy of the map without the song.

I am having problems with the weather effects, I created the weather effect and turned them on in a trigger for the specified region but it still isn't working. It's only a minor problem.

Edit: I have an updated version of the cinematic in the attachment on the first post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.