• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Concept Competition of Doom -- POLL!

Whose concept is the best?

• l0w_kwaliti

Votes: 5 9.3%
  • Xatoga

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • moyack

Votes: 16 29.6%
  • Elenai

Votes: 8 14.8%
  • FamousPker49

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pyritie

• iristle

Votes: 3 5.6%
  • Sacrimo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • FireEffect

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • HeretoDLstuff

• SuPa-

Votes: 2 3.7%
  • SeruK

• iron_warrior

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 23
Vote for your favourite concept! Remember; it's not artistic merit you're looking for, but what you think will translate best into a unit model for use in Warcraft -- and, of course, which design you like most.

Vote wisely.

The entrants are as follows; the link leads to their final submission image(s):Thank you to all those that took part, and may the best concept win!

(Note: if you did enter a final submission image and I have missed you, please notify me as soon as possible. It was a big thread, full of big images.)

Last edited:
Moyack wins for having the most badass robot ever entered in a competition... even though it feels like a transformer rip-off.

Kilwati's entry looks like an over-armored Dreadlord, not much of a mech.

Xatoga's entry is cool, and pirates are always a plus.

Elenai's entry is... special... the whole thing looks a bit "feminine", especially the jewels, and the gun design is a bit strange. Very nice though.

EDIT: The rest of the entries vary from absolute eye rape to moderate.

Level 15
Vote for your favourite concept! Remember; it's not artistic merit you're looking for, but what you think will translate best into a unit model for use in Warcraft -- and, of course, which design you like most.
Curious!!! That condition was not in the competition rules.... you put mechanics as a theme and you obtained mechanic concepts as result. If I'd have known about this, I would have taken any warcraft mechanic vehicle and I'd have developed a transformation for it.

Moyack wins for having the most badass robot ever entered in a competition... even though it feels like a transformer rip-off.
rip-off... definitely not, highly inspired maybe. Remember that I'm very keen of transformers.

Level 11
Curious!!! That condition was not in the competition rules.... you put mechanics as a theme and you obtained mechanic concepts as result. If I'd have known about this, I would have taken any warcraft mechanic vehicle and I'd have developed a transformation for it.

I'm pretty sure it was stated somewhere. Your's was great but i cant think of a decent Wc3 model being made of it. :( Because animating that would be painful beyond all imagination...

Level 15
Every constest rule must be putted in the first post in order to avoid misunderstandings, so it should be in this post.

The Hive Workshop

[rainbow]Concept Competition of Doom[/rainbow]

Contest Theme: mechanics

Each contestant must create some form of concept artwork in order to put forth their idea; including, but no limited to, bitmap/vector graphics, pen(cil) and paper drawings...
Contest Rules And Conditions
  1. No submission may violate any Hive Workshop site rules.
  2. The theme 'mechanics' can encompass any of (and probably more than) the following:
    • Vehicles: giant robots, small robots, legged, wheeled, hovering, flying...
    • Structures: turrets, factories...
    • Characters: robots, and, uh...
  3. The concept must be composed solely of mechanical/electronic elements.
  4. The concept must not be 'ripped' from any other computer game, film...
    • I will judge the line between 'heavily influenced' and 'carbon-copy', seeking additional judgement from fellow moderators/admins if there is cause for dissatisfaction.
  5. The concept must have no more than four legs (if it is legged):
    • Because I can't animate that shit.
  6. Judging is not solely on quality of presentation; rather, it will be based on the quality of the idea, and how well its shape and form are conveyed (as in, how easily the design can be turned from drawing to 3D model) -- so don't worry if you can't draw a perfect circle.
  7. The submitted item must be entirely your own work.
  8. At least one 'work-in-progress' (WIP) image of your submission must be posted:
    • to prove the work is your own.
    • to prove the item has been created within the period of the contest.
  1. Completed submissions must be physically attached to this thread.
Prizes And Winnings
  • First Place: 25 reputation points and a model created and animated by myself, textured by kharma.
  • Second Place: 15 reputation points.
  • Third Place: 10 reputation points.
Contest Judging And Voting
  • The winner shall be determined by the results of a public poll.
Contest Dates And Deadline

All submissions must be complete and submitted before the deadline.
The contest shall begin on 01 November 2007 and conclude on:

30 November 2007 0:00 AM, GMT

Hmm, it's not in the first post... so the warcraft theme compatibility condition can't be a condition for judging.

I'm pretty sure it was stated somewhere. Your's was great but i cant think of a decent Wc3 model being made of it. :( Because animating that would be painful beyond all imagination...
lol!!! Are you underestimating the power of RDZ?? have you seen the Optimus Prime model that he did?? I know he can do it, I believe in his skills.

Level 35
Every constest rule must be putted in the first post in order to avoid misunderstandings, so it should be in this post.
Hmm, it's not in the first post... so the warcraft theme compatibility condition can't be a condition for judging.
lol!!! Are you underestimating the power of RDZ?? have you seen the Optimus Prime model that he did?? I know he can do it, I believe in his skills.

It does say it.. kinda:

Judging is not solely on quality of presentation; rather, it will be based on the quality of the idea, and how well its shape and form are conveyed (as in, how easily the design can be turned from drawing to 3D model) -- so don't worry if you can't draw a perfect circle.

Turned into a 3d model = turned into wc3 model... :wwink:

Level 11
Why was mine disqualified?
attachment.php

Level 23

I said "unit model for use in Warcraft III" -- I mean technical unit properties should be considered; that's to say, stationary forward-facing attacks, even walk strides... etc etc etc.

The competition did not have anything specifically to do with WC3, and remains thus; though the final model will be produced for the game.

Level 15
I said "unit model for use in Warcraft III" -- I mean technical unit properties should be considered; that's to say, stationary forward-facing attacks, even walk strides... etc etc etc.

The competition did not have anything specifically to do with WC3, and remains thus; though the final model will be produced for the game.
Fair enough. Thanks for the clarification.

Level 23
Well, even though it apparently doesnt matter, my artistic skill obviously wasnt good enough for my concept to go in the poll, w/e....racist against those from other species I.E. wombats. haters >.>
You submitted only a single image; the rules clearly stated that a W.I.P. image should have been posted before your final.

Why was mine disqualified?
Dan is right -- it contains organic elements.

... Because animating that would be painful beyond all imagination...
Having examined the concept in some detail, I believe it would be eminently possible. As moyack said, I have done Optimus Prime -- and with that wonderful experience under my belt, I know much better how to go about tackling a concept such as this.

Level 35
I made the picture in 5 freakin minutes, how am I supposed to W.I.P. that? Ill give you 10 thousand billion million dollars if you can find any evidence whatsoever that I copied it from somewhere.

Easy... if you have postet what you made after 2.5 minutes (meaning when you was half done with it) then you would have postet a WIP.:wscrolleyes:

Level 23
Thats bullshit
Just because 1 small little part is organic
You disqualifie it?
Why couldnt you just imagine that there was no brain in the modle
As I said at the time -- it is your job to put forth the concept; not mine. Conditions for an entry's acceptance were clearly stated in the competition rules.

This is not a "give a vague idea" contest -- it's a concept contest.

Last edited:
Level 10
Didn't expect votes from anyone Art rage sucks...at least I partisipated lol.

Elenai has my vote

Status
Not open for further replies.