• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Combowhore]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
Inverted Presents
-----------------------------------
Combowhore

"An FFA Sensation"
Index:

1) Background Information
2) Todo list
3) Game mechanics
4) Heroes
5) More sections to come!

Background Information:

Combowhore is a 1v1v1v1 or 4 person FFA (Free for All) map.
The game starts and you select a hero from the hero tavern.
There is a current recipe system in place for upgrading items from the shops ingame.

Overall i would say the game is 15% complete (as of February 23rd, 2008). The harder parts of the project are done (sprees, triggers) but the bulk of the work is to come, heroes, hero stories, items etc.
Each hero will have a custom set of abilities and a custom story,
any body willing to help is welcomed if you would like to design abilities,
stories whatever you please but i am not in desperate needs of help at the moment.
Read on for more indepth information.

Todo List:

Below is a "done" :)infl_thumbs_up:), "working on" :)spell_breaker:), and "todo" :)witch_doc_sad:) list.
Done: :)infl_thumbs_up:)
Firstblood
Killing Spree (SPREE)
Dominating (SPREE)
Wicked Sick (SPREE)
Monster Kill (SPREE)
Unstoppable (SPREE)
Ultra Kill (SPREE)
Godlike (SPREE)
Beyond Godlike (SPREE)
Combowhore (SPREE)
Recipes (SYSTEM)
Levelups (SYSTEM)
-MS (COMMAND)
Win (SYSTEM)
Kill Select (SYSTEM)
Gold (GOT, Starting Gold, Killing Gold)
Kills (SYSTEM)
Hero Tavern (OBJECT)
Score Window (SYSTEM)
3 Stat Items (Bracer, Wraith Band, Null Talisman)
All Spree Sound Effects (Killingspree - Combowhore) (SOUNDS)
Starting Music (MUSIC)
Changing lumber/food to kills/deaths.
Change gold image

Working On: :)spell_breaker:)
(If "HELP" is put next to an item any help is appriciated on that topic)
(If "LARGE" is put next to an item it meens that this is the bulk of the work 10%+ of the project.)

Ingame Playlist
More Items (ITEMS) (HELP)(LARGE)
More Heroes (HEROES) (HELP)(LARGE)
Hero Stories (HEROES) (HELP)(LARGE)
Hero Abilities (HEROES) (HELP)(LARGE)

Todo: :)witch_doc_sad:)

Betatesters / Game hosters (HELP)
Hero Respawn
More to come...!

Game Mechanics:

In this section we will discuss the mechanics of "Combowhore" along with some pictures.

Sprees

Let's start with the "sprees" in the game.
The sprees include: Killing spree, dominating, wicked sick, monsterkill, unstoppable, ultra kill, godlike, beyond godlike, and combowhore.
The sprees almost follow the D.O.T.A standard except for a few differences.
Below is a picture of the sprees all cut out and pasted into one image file.

Sprees_next.jpg

Currently there are 9 sprees and it requires 11 kills without dying to obtain
the highest killing spree which is "combowhore".
When somone kills one that has a spree more gold is awarded, this is done
by saving the bounties variable and adding too it or clearing it depending on the situation.

Basic Game Mechanics

HeroPick.jpg

There is a windowed and chat countdown timer determining when you can pick your heroes.
The above screenshot is an example.

Items.jpg

Currently there is a recipe system used within the game along with tooltips explaining
what you need for a certain item.
The above screenshot is an example.

KillsSel.jpg

KillsSel2.jpg

The host (red) can select the number of kills needed to win the game by typing
-kills with 10-100 after it such as -kills30 would make it so once a player hit 30 kills
he/she would win the game.
The above screenshot is an example of telling the host what to do and
what happens after you select the number of kills.

Thats all for now in the game mechanics section, more to come

Heroes:

Below you will find a list of the current heroes in Combowhore, this list will be updated
whenever a new hero is designed and/or changed.
in the brackets "[]" is the current number of abilities the hero has [1/4] meens that the hero only has 1 ability at the moment.

Current heroes of Combowhore:
----------------------------------------
Centaur Warchief (melee) [1/4]
Dwarven Mortar Team (ranged) [0/4]
Storm Seeker (ranged) [2/4]

Conclusion:

Well guys this is my first real game made in the wc3 editor and iv pretty much been working on it 4 days straight -.-'. Anyways thank you for reading my post and please leave any CC or things you think i should add. Also if you have any hero/ability ideas feel free too leave them here and i'll balance them and place them in game and put u in credits aswell as give rep to the good ideas :).

Beta/Alpha Game Testers:

This is a list of names of the Beta/Alpha testers of the game when v1.0 is released:

Yabooer

Last edited:
Level 12
The spree system looks a hell like dota.

Also,as far as i could see the recipes,its the same stuff.

Now,no one can be 100% original,but the quality of you map would double if you made something that wasnt seen anywhere else.Although the map type is different,any greater resemblence to dota can only be harmful.

Level 5
Those sprees are ripped directly from DotA (except the 2 beyond Godlike), and DotA ripped those directly from something else. I think Unreal Tournament.

The items also look very similar to DotA items. Why do you even need recipes? They don't really enhance a game all that much. And this is an ARENA, why are you making items a big part? The point of an arena is to use your skills with a hero to kill the enemy, not whore up the best items in the game and kill people with permastuns and shit.

Level 10
@ Japut3h the sounds play according the sprees thats why i am using them.
@ darkwulfv i understand they are from dota but almost every other game uses them and im not looking to be original in the sound department. Well if the host selects 100 kills for example it wouldn't be fun just using the same abilities over and over again for 100 kills. If you are good you can get items which enhance the gameplay and make it more interesting. The only items to be directly from dota are the power treads and the starting stat items bracer/band/null after that they will all be made custom.

I thank you guys for your input though

Level 5
The things with those sounds is that they can get kind of annoying. And they remind me too much of DotA. Even if you can't get original with the sounds, you could probably find original ways to name the combos.

Ah, I see. The items aren't all from DotA, ok. Just checking, it looked very familiar. And make sure you mention in the credits or item tooltip that it's from DotA.

Level 10
yeah i know about the sounds being cliche but i personally like them and the sounds get cooler as your spree gets higher and it gives me a feeling that im doing good personally so i decided to add them to my game. I will think about changing the text for the combos, thanks for all your feedback.

Level 10
Game Update!!!

UPDATE:
I've changed lumber to the amount of deaths you have
and i've changed food to the amount of kills you have / the amount of kills you need too win.
Here is a screenshot of the progress.

View attachment 23693

----------------------------

Question: this is a nube question but how do i make tables in this forum? i understand you can use simple tables some how.
But how exactly would you go about making a table lets say with 5 rows and 3 colums, can somone please help me?

Last edited:
Level 10
Thank you for your input Callahan but the whole idea of using the food is its

[#ofkills]/[#oftotalkills] AKA (Food/Total Food) which allows the user to look up and see how much father they have to go. If i did do as you say what would u suggest i use lumber for?

Also: If you are interested in alpha/beta testing the game when that stage comes (a while from now) please send me a private message and i will add you too the list. It is also recommended that you can host the game to promote it but it is not required. If you need any assistance in getting your computer to host let me know.

Level 8
Looks like a great game cant wait for release as for the low kills im guessing itl be pretty hard to kill people? the items and item combos are looking good like them *dota fan* =) cant wait for the turn out of the game

Level 10
@ darkwulfv nope thats all man thx :)
@ Yabooer thank you so much for being enthusiastic about the game, infact i have a lil update for yall.

UPDATE:
There are 3 new great updates for the game that i think you guys will be interested in.
Too start we have a loading screen!! and a minimap both look great!! and i have started
on hero stories (any help with hero ideas/stories is appriciated).

Here are some pics:

View attachment 23816
(custom minimap)

View attachment 23817
(custom loadingscreen)

View attachment 23818
(hero story/stats example)

PS: (i do have an RL friend helping me with the items and his name is glowinogrb just incase ur wondering who that is.

Thats all for now folks, keep visiting the thread.

Last edited:
Level 10
NEW GAME MODE!
There is a new game mode for the game, its completely experimental and pretty much
just a fun test i did that worked. The new mode is: -TM (tree mode).
Tree mode will cause trees to randomly spawn / die around the map once the game has begun.
This makes the game more fast paced and interesting.

-Inverted

Level 8
and btw inverted i can host when ever you need if you cant host your self like the loading screens and like the hero descriptions keep it up =)

Level 10
Thank you Yabooer, i recently forwarded my ports and i can host now, but once the alpha
version of 1.0 is released ill make sure to send the final protected version to you so you can host it aswell.

Also if you are interested in one of the jobs that we are looking to fill, hero/ability/hero story designer please swing by our recruitment thread in the recruitment forum.

Thanks,
-Inverted

Level 10
Game Update! New Hero!!

His name is Tsu Stormstrike <Storm Seeker>
Hey everyone, i've been working on a new hero currently he has 2/4 of his abilities (both are nukes (storm strike and chain lightning))
Incase you didnt know the standard build of heroes will be 3 nukes / damaging abilities and 1 passive/aura/buff this will be a general guide line and doesent have to always be followed.

Thank you for listening,
-Inverted

Level 12
Its true,there are certain ideas you can come up with very easy,yet you use the DoTA ones...good luck on this anyways.

Level 10
Void, so what? there are thousands of games that use the same sprees, i use them because i have the sounds for them and it gives the player a sense that they are doing well when they hear a sound that they have heared before. if they are "dominating" they know that they are dominating if it says their name versus "lol u owned him" they're like wtf because they havent heared it before. I know it seems cliche to use the same sprees but its a way of bringing the player into it more. and i'd appriciate it if you didnt say i failed... its an FFA map 4 people competely different from dota. Maybe next time you could bring out the good things in a project as well. As far as i know their arn't very many FFA maps that can be played with ease, you select a hero and get right into the game. The same tileset? so what, theres only like 12 to choose from, anyways thanks. I appriciate you coming to my thread and reminding me for the 10th time like many others have its like Dota but so what, theres alot of games like dota, dota owns and its a great inspiration to make a game similar yet different to it. So please dont come storming into someones thread with nothing cunstructive at all and just putting them down.

Level 15
ideas for text on sprees/kills

-Killing Spree: [Player] Just started a Killing Spree!
-Dominating: [Player] Dominates the Arena!
-Wicked Sick: [Player] is WICKED SICK!!
-Monster Kill: [Player] is a MONSTER!!!
-Ultra Kill: [Player] IS ON THE PATH OF PURE PWNAGE!!
-GODLIKE: [Player] IS THE GOD OF DEATH! KILL HIM!!!
-Beyond godlike: [Player] IS BEYOND GODLIKE!! KILL HIM SUCKERS!!!
-COMBOWHORE: [Player] IS THE MASTER OF COMBOWHORE!

Hero kill textes could be (random chance to type theese):

-[Killer] just owned [dead] and got X gold!
-[Killer] destroyed [dead] and got X gold!
-[Killer] smashed [dead]'s head off and got X gold!
-[dead] were owned by [killer] and [killer] got X gold!
-[Killer] used his high IQ to destroy [dead] and got X gold!

some may be better than other, but i hope you can use it.

//Lord_of_Sausage

Level 10
UchihaSasuke.gr thanks bro! stop by our recruitment thread if your interested in helping out.

Lord_of_sausage those are awesome! a way to differentiate from the dota versions.
Thank you so much bro, this might get rid of those nasty people that flame me for creating
a game similar to dota, thanks again.

-inverted

Level 4
hey, I'm with you, i think that the unreal tournament spree sounds make for an enjoyable game all by themselves. Its funny how everyone thinks its a dota rip when pretty much every multiplayer game around has a mod containing those sounds.

I thought to make this game more interesting and more combo whorish, I was thinking maybe you should give rewards for comboing along the lines of spree upgrades? they would be in the form of an ability to benefit the spree(er) and get better as the spree gets higher. This would force ppl to tag team him hardcore or suffer his godlike wrath. Maybe the final level of the spree could be an ulti that basically kills all the other players, then resets the spree to the beginning...

oh btw this is kind of a table generator, u just fill in the slots once the code is generated and wallah. not sure if it works in this forum, but it probably should. http://www.quackit.com/html/html_table_generator.cfm PEACE OUT

Level 10
Sorry guys but theres not much to show right now,
been doing alot of "behind the scenes" work, fixing bugs etc, but i also added
a new leavers feature, when a player leaves their hero explodes with the
thunderclap special effect then the text comes up

"Omg WTF?! whered he go!"

Its acually really funny looking in game.
More info: I've been preparing a alpha for my testers but i still need more heroes
anyone willing to contribute is appriciated maybe a weak or two tell the
v1.0 alpha is released.

Thats all for now (screenshots later, its late),
-Inverted

Level 4
with the upgrades, providing you will have an available space on the hero to add an ability, I was thinking of maybe weak ablilities that give minor speed and damage increases at the lower sprees, at medium sprees abilities that truly advance the hero like vamp aura and then at high sprees actual abilities that deal damage like a high powered chain lightning or something. Then at the final spree have an ultimate like omnislash or w/e that deals mass dmg in an area before setting the spree back to the beginning level. It's just an idea really

Level 4
um one way of doing it would be to create a unit varible for the hero and a real variable for the spree level. It'd then look kind of like this:

Code:
AddAbility
    Events
        Game - RedSpreeLevel becomes Equal to 3.00
    Conditions
    Actions
        Unit - Add Unholy Aura (Neutral Hostile) to RedHero

You would have to make triggers and variables for each hero and each level of spree, but its a small trigger and easy to duplicate.

Ofcourse u would have to make each of the abilities custom, just normal unit abilities so that they dont need to be leveled or learnt or w/e.

One other thing not to forget to put in tho is an action to remove the ability gained from a previous spree level :)

Level 10
Ok guys, this doesent work for some reason, my numbers like the sprees are integers so i did this,
but it wont work, please help.

Code:
Events: Unit - A unit dies

Conditions: RedSpree equal to 3
(Killing unit) equal to red_hero

Actions: Unit - Add Spree +3 to Red_Hero

Plz help me out (Spree +3 is the ability)

Level 4
lol im not sure what the deal is with that...

Thats why i said to set the trigger to a real varible, and have the abilities added and subtracted everytime that changes.

Have seperate triggers to alter the real variable like this -

event - a unit dies

condition - killing unit is equal to red_hero

action - set red_spree to current value + 1.00

Then the list of ability add n subtract that would look kind of like this -

event - red_spree becomes equal to 2.00

condition - (none)

action - Unit - Remove +3 damage from red_hero (this is an example of removing a previous level ability)
Unit - Add Unholy Aura (Neutral Hostile) to red_hero

And then abilities to end the spree like this -

event - a unit dies

condition - (triggering unit) is equal to red_hero

action - *If - red_spree is equal to 2.00
*then - Unit - Remove Unholy Aura (Neutral Hostile) from red_hero
-set red_spree to 0.00
*else - do nothing

*If - red_spree is equal to 3.00
*then - Unit - Remove vamp aura from red_hero
-set red_spree to 0.00
*else - do nothing

etc, etc. until you have covered all levels of the spree

just leave your integers for the spree count as they are, and put the real variables in as new variables only used for altering the abilities

Level 10
wow lol.... i tried what you did and it didnt work but then i tried it with a
different ability and it did...

So i went back and just made it so when you get a killingspree it adds the ability
to your hero, for example i used blizzard it works fine but my ability wont show
up for some reason, ill have to work on it, but it was an ability problem all along.

Thanks for all your help man,
-inverted

Level 4
cool you got it working!

yeah maybe the problems with the abilities is the icon positioning? You know how you can set the x normal value 0-3 and the y value 0-2? On all the spree abilities set the icon to x - 1 and y - 1 and they should always appear in that slot you have picked for the avatar.

Oh btw check out my project Compound 13 - Outbreak if you can spare a minute from working on your own, and tell me what you think so far. thanx yo

Level 10
I am currently looking for tips on how to do a fountain/shop system.
Should there be a teleporter to a neutral zone where u can't attack? this
could be abused though by running into it, or should there just be shops
and you have to buy fast before somone attacks and should there be a
fountain? Once you kill somone should ur health go to full? somone help me
out with these questions please.

Thanks,
-inverted

Status
Not open for further replies.