• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

{Closed} [Idea] Questing = Singleplayer, Dungeons...?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
I just had this maybe great idea.

A way to speed up things, and a possibly good idea, is to have the normal world (stormwind, orgrimmar, etc.) single player, but when it comes to dungeons, you can save/load your character in battle.net games, saving your quests, gold, honor, whatever, and transferring it back and forth between the battle.net games and single player games. HOWEVER: The thing about that is, if you wanted to raid, maybe, Molten Core or something, you'd only have 10 or 11 players. Thats a major downfall to this.

So, you'd be on your level 60 troll mage and bored. Hey! Let's run some lowbies through RFC!

Log on to battle.net, get four other players with characters, and get them their epix, and also experience. But they don't realize, having a 60 totally destroys their XP, so they decide to leave the group/game. :(

I don't know, it sounded like a good idea, until I got to the, low character raiding part. This is totally just an opinion i'm throwing out there. Any discussion as to the pro's and con's of this would be great.

Level 21
It certainly is possible, technically.
Downside to this is that 1 dungeon has to fit in 4mb. You'll have to remove all sorts of tiny details like weapon attachments and stuff, and will be forced to use a minimum of custom models, making the whole thing suddenly less epic. Many systems would also have to be modified (e.g. inventory, camera systems) to work on multiplayer.

A lot of work to modify and scale everything, which eventually might not even pay off because... well... a dungeon is made for heroes in a very specific level range. It would be like hosting an orpg on battle.net where only level 20 - 25 are allowed, and you'll STILL end up with some players joining your game but not actually having a hero to play with because they don't have the campaign.

I'd rather spend my time on modifying the whole campaign to work with RTC, once RTC is at a multiplayer stage, than to modify everything so it works on a battle.net compatible map which will eventually never be played.

Level 25
As said above, making multiplayer maps (dungeons & instances) would be possible, but a lot of the original systems and custom content such as textures and models would have to be removed and/or replaced, making the experience of Wc3:WoW a whole lot less epic and just like any other crappy WoW map for WarCraft III.
A good idea if the filesize limit was greater, otherwise, it's a waste of time. :\

Level 8
How about Mindworx then? How is his project going? If you do end up using his for the multiplayer, you can probably just start out with only doing the dungeons, won't have to rescript too much. I have not seen it in a while, but is there a file-size limit on the maps when using his multiplayer thingy?

This will be later on in the project, I understand, but i'm just curious.

Status
Not open for further replies.