• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Classes for RPG

Status
Not open for further replies.

at

at

Level 4
I'm making an RPG together with Bgutz and maybe someone more.
Anyway, here's a few hero Ideas, including spells. These three I guess is the basic RPG classes, but they are quite different from others with the same names. However, their name probably wont be Priest, Mage, Warrior. More like Cleric, Sorcerer, Swordsman, or something cool you know :p
Anyway, comment.
I did all this in like less then an hour, so please have acceptance :p The name may not be that good either, but what to do.
Please react if any of the spells are impossible to script.

Classes:

Priest (Healer/Monk/Cleric.)
Basic healing Class. Strong against Undeads, extra dmg. Not defenseless, has some nice dmg. The auto attack is good.

Blessed Recovery
Basic Heal spell. Can target self, and dmg an enemy undead.

Sacred Instinct (Passive)
Every heal that is being cast also heals everone around the caster for a small amount of life and mana, and damages undeads. Does not affect the Priest.

Rays of Suffering
Sends down a beam of light, dmging the enemy and heals the priest for a small amount of life. Also stuns the target for a few seconds. If the target dies by the spell, it splits into up to three new beams, each one dealing 1/2 of the original damage to their targets.

Concentration
Each attack has a chance to decrease the targets damage by a certain amount. (Unsure of this one, atleast some passive debuff)

Enlightment
The priest reaches direct contact with the gods, and starts to glow. Gets surronded by a shield that absorbs most of the dmg taken, and healing done increases by x%. The spells cooldowns are radically decreased, and the priests mana and life regenation increases by x%. Lasts for a certain amount of time.

Warrior (Fighter/Swordsman)
Strong in meele combat, but week against magic. Alot of HP, a good tanking class but with possibilities of alot of dmg.

Devistating Blow
Hits the enemy unit with such power, that he takes heavy dmg, is stunned, and gets his armor reduced. Also, up to five other nearby enemies get knocked backwards.

Iron Will (Passive)
Increases the Warriors armor and hp.

Roar of Hatred
Increases all nearby friendly units damage and attackspeed.

Shield Mastery (Passive)
If the Warrior wields a shield, he has a great chance to block incoming attacks, and resist spells. This is supposed to be a tanking spell. I want the classes, atleast some, to be able to specialize. If you want to do awesome damage, you can't be an excellent tank, and the other way around.

Inner Rage
The Warriors goes berserk, filled by hatred and anger. Movement speed increases by x%, attackspeed by x%, and it Removes HP Regenation.
Makes the Warrior glow red.

Mage (Battlemage/Wizard/Archmage/Spellmaster/Sorcerer)
Basic Mage class, deals magic damage in many forms, mostly fire and AoE.

Meteor
A meteor falls from the sky, stunning and damaging enemy units in it's way. Any enemy unit standing in the area where it landed the next x seconds will take periodic damage.

Ignite (Passive)
Everytime the Mage attacks there's a chance to set the enemy on fire. He will take periodic damage the next five seconds, and be slowed.

Summon Portal of Minions
Summons a portal, which then can be used to summon different minions, all useful in different situations. The minions gets locked up by quests or levels. Long Cooldown. The damage and hp of the minions increases as the hero levels up.

Possible Minions:

- Imp
Casting a simple fire bolt, damaging the enemy from range. Low HP, but high dmg.

-Infernal
Burns every unit around it. Alot of HP. Does cleave dmg. Low Damage.

- Whisp
Supporting minion. Casts minor heals at the mage, and grants extra mana Regenation. Invurnelable.

- Shadow
Slowly leaches the life out of the enemy. Can cast a debuff that decreases damage, and grants extra damage to allies.

Ember Breath
Spread flames in a cone in front of the Mage, dealing heavy magical damage to the enemies.

Terminate
Throws a lance of fire at the enemy, consuming it in fire, and then it bounces to the next target. Bounces up to 3 times. Each new lance has 2x the last ones dmg. This is some heevy shiet!

or

A pillar of flame consumes the enemy in fire, and then it get's bigger and bigger, twirling. As it also sucks the enemies towards is as a black hole, their chances of escape are small, unable to resist they're drawn into the hellhole! Also some heavy shiet dmg and a REALLY cool special effect (Big boombang, alot of fire)

EDIT: Added a fourth class. This one is also basic, a hunter. But actually I like that, I think the player feels better about the game if he understands the mechanics a bit. Like you've played wow, and you always play mage. And then there's a mage and you go "oh ye, my favourite, lol I'll show these f*ckers how to pwn with a mage!" Impact!

Ranger (Hunter, Bowmaster, Bower)
Classic ranged meele class, with the summoning of pets.

Multishot
The ranger shoots several arrows at once, hits up to 5 targets. Simple but fun. If you hit less then 3 targets, they take more damage, cause you want the player to use this against single units to for extra dmg.

Spirit of the Beast (Passive)
Increases the damage of the Ranger by x% and the hp by x%. Also increases the attack range.

Call for Companion
Kinda basic, summons the pet. If possible you should be able to choose pet, name your pet, and even (probably not :p) catch a pet and use it!

Trap
A trap, that can be used in many ways, like dealing dmg to everything around it, or slow them.

Sneak
Makes the hunter invisible for a short amount of time.

Swarm
Shoots an arrow into the ground, that works as a magical mark. Soon numberous arrows rains frow the sky, piercing the enemies!

I need help with the hunter. I have one spell to much. + that they arent that good at all, please give suggestions :)

EDIT 2:

Another Class. Tobad it's not good work, just something I did put together for 10 minutes. Please help me with ideas!

Lich(Necromancer)
Dark, ancient magician. Lore-based, so there aint much to say.

Sleep
Simply puts the target asleep

Nightmares
I don't know if I'm stealing this idea from someone. In that case, sorry, tell me and I will cred you are something. I just found it in the dusty places of my backhead.
Anyway, this is supposed to work as a combo with Sleep. It does heavy damage to a target, but only when that target is asleep. Interesting, indeed :p

Link of the Dead
Not suprisingly. However, I thought about this: What if the corpses doesnt raise skeletons or stuff. What if spirits raises from a few dead bodies, and then they walk into the Lich, and he gets healed/buffed. Aha! Cool indeed! (But no skeletons tobad :(((( )
Another Idea!
The creepy spirits walks up and without you being able to control them they slowly walks against enemies, and then they explode into a boom of darkness! So smart!

Torment
The Lich slowly draws the life out of the enemy, healing himself. Hm, that's two healing spells maybe to much? Extra effective when the target is asleep. Another combo, advanced duh.

Lost Soul
I had an idea here, but it sounds way to Childish. What if the lich like draws the soul out of the enemy, and puts it in a jar? And what if the jar has legs, and is being able to run around. The target is still able to move, but he can't damage anyone or get damaged or use abilites, until he catches that god damn jar! Luckily he's faster then it, but wait. The jar can blink! amagad!
No, that's no good. A more serious idea is this:
The Lich simply takes control of the enemy. He instantly starts to control it, but then he can't control his own character. Think Mind Control in wow. It stays like this until the time runs out, the char gets to far away, or until the Lich gets killed. Ofc bosses and stuff will resist till spell.
Anyway, the point of this should mainly be eventuall pvp. Imagine the fun. :p
I'll come up with something that's realistic, but I can't think of something good. Please help!

EDIT 3: Amagad, six classes in one night. I've got to sleep now :p
Same thing here, comment, give me criticism or credit. Anyway, I proudly present the....

Zealot
Holy Warrior! Whole new idea! However, this one is alot more damagespecified then the boring Paladin. Bubble-power!

Bash
Stuns and damages the enemy. Simple, yes, boring yes. But there is more to come!

Holy Compense (Passive)
The Zealot has a chance to get healed everytime it attacks. Still boring

Hammer of Salvation
Throws a hammer, that twirls around, damaging enemies and healing allies.

Destiny
Increases the paladins attack damage with an extremly high rate, but lowering his armor. Increases attack speed, but removes the effect of Holy Compense. Totally aware of his faith, the Zealot get's filled up with the divine powers. Can only be used when the Zealot's hp is under 50%, but then it's still quite uneffective. When it's get really low, like 10%, then this is total pawnage!

Pray
The Zealot kneels down, praying for the assistance of the gods. Beams of Holy energy hits every unit near him and twirls them up in the air, doing heavy damage. Healing the Zealot, for a % of the damage done.

Last edited:

at

at

Level 4
I did actually put some effort into this, please comment <3

Level 32
Looks good so far, atatat!

Your ideas seem creative and kewl: keep up the good work. It may indeed be difficult to trigger or script the various spells and abilities, depending on how capable and talented you are.

By all means, post your WIPs or ask questions in our

> Warcraft III Modding > Triggers & Scripts forum(s)

+ REP !

Level 25
Post some addition screenshots of your RPG in your first post to give us an idea what to expect and what it looks like.
Like Wolverabid said, your ideas are creative and well thought out. I'll be looking forward to this being released in the future!
~Craka_J

Level 8
The ideas and design sound great, keep up with it.

Dont forget the generic Rogue/Assassin.

Also, a cool idea for a map is if you could choose a subclass for each one. For example:
~Mage
---Frost
---Fire
---Lightning
~Ranger
---Marksman
---Trapper
---Beastmaster
~Lich
---Necromancer (Relies on raising minions)
---Plaguebearer (Stacks debuffs/DoTs)
---Lich (Couldnt think of a better name; Offensive Bone caster)
~Zealot
---Paladin (Hybrid healer/Tank)
---Crusader (Aura/Team Support)
---Zealot (Suits a subclass name, Offensive holy caster)
~Rogue
---Monk (Single target fast dps)
---Assassin (Specializes in stealth/Incapacitating targets)
---Thief (Poisons, Hit and run combat)

Just suggestions i had compiled for my own map ideas i will never pursue. I figure someone may find use for them.

at

at

Level 4
Elenai: Well, I think that's kind of obvious. And I don't want the name paladin, as this class is kinda different from the WCIII one.

Wolverabid: I can't say I'm talented (Not yet, duh :p), but I think I could work my way through this with a little help from others.

Craka_J: Actually, this RPG doesnt exist. It's in a extremly early planning-state, this was just a few generic classes that can be used in any RPG. Just Ideas, simply, did it for fun, even tho I may use them.

Demonsofdante: I like the idea alot. Lot of work tho, with that many single classes. But It's definatly something I can have in mind. Thanks :) The Ideas looks great too. An evolvment of that Idea, maybe you can like start as a class, like mage, and then choose fire. And then, when you get to later levels, you can change. Something like talentspeccs in wow. Would indeed be cool, especially if the different speccs have different focus. Like Frost for high DPS(late game dungeons), fire for aoe(grinding) and lightning for survival(leveling). Kinda like wow. Would be cool :p

Level 40
Zealot:
For Aiur!
Goes into a frenzy, attacking each nearby Zerg three times.​

K, on a more serious note, it looks pretty nice.

Suggestions:

-Vary some of the spells more from the default warcraft ones, maybe. They're really overused -.-
-Make another mage, a Conjurer or something, that has to do with summoning, versus the Mage/Sorcerer/Whatever who in general is portrayed as more of an outright spellcaster (I mean in fantasy in general, not specifically in your RPG).
-Diablo 1&2 are really good games to base *ahem rip ahem* spell ideas from if you're looking for quick ideas that are rarely used in warcraft (well, some of them anyways... mostly Diablo 1)

Anyways, good luck with it!

at

at

Level 4
-Vary some of the spells more from the default warcraft ones, maybe. They're really overused -.-
Ofcourse this is no final version, it's 100% away from that. As I get new ideas I will try to make them as different from the WCIII spells as possible, but also balanced, useful and realistic.

-Make another mage, a Conjurer or something, that has to do with summoning, versus the Mage/Sorcerer/Whatever who in general is portrayed as more of an outright spellcaster (I mean in fantasy in general, not specifically in your RPG).

True, but I think outright spellcasting is kinda boring. It's not needed to have like 4 different damage spells. I think the summoning adds another dimension to the class. And as you say, both these classes and spells are overused. Though it's not impossible at all to create a direct-dps-mage class that's orginal. But this also plays in with demonsofdantes idea of subclasses. I take everything in suggestion. And you have apoint, no doubt.

EDIT: About the last post, was a bit wrong formulated. I WILL probably use them, it's not just for fun, but they may be alot different then they are right now.

Btw, about the rogue. Yes ofc, that's always an option. Atleast some kind of meele agility dps hero will be included. Here's an idea I formed in my head today. Just a little note :)
Rouge spells.

Disembowl (Kinda brutal name :p couldn't think of something better)
Basic damage skill. Makes the target bleed for a couple of seconds. Pretty boring, but I think the rouge needs atleast one single target dps spell.

Sneak
Ofcourse, but this may not be used for every type of rogue, if I would use subclasses. Makes the rogue invisible. Slowers movement speed alot. If it comes to close to an enemy, it sees him, like in wow. If he hits someone he gets visible. If he hits a target with Disembowl from stealth it causes x00% more dmg. This way you don't need a backstab spell, which most RPG rogues uses. CANNOT be used in combat.

Twirl
Like Multishot, but meele. Hits targets infront of the rogue.

Posion.
Summons like a bottle of posion, that you can use to apply different posion buffs to your rouge. This may be damage, slowing or maybe a % to stun.

And then some cool ultimate, can't think of it yet.
This doesnt looks so good, or quite original, but I just had to write it down :(

BTW2: I got a new skill Idea. This should be used for a meele class. Probably the warrior, as he takes the hits mostly.
Hatred
Once you've activated it, your damage increases for each hit you take. Kinda nice when you tank, then you will do some nice dmg. Nice in singleplayer too, since it's simply increases your damage.

Last edited:
Level 40
Blarg, you somehow managed to turn

Suggestions: Vary some of the spells more (...)

into

Zealot: Vary some of the spells more (...)

It was directed at all the heroes in general.

------------------------------------------------

Subclasses would be interesting, but there are other things a mage can do than just 'damage a target for 100' ;)

-Buff people
-Eyecandy
-Targeting options
-Unrelated stuff like teleporting and such
-Ally support (not only priests provide support to allies, not everything to allies has to be holy ;))

Oh, and make sure to make/get some basic AI for the summons. It's really annoying to have to order them to do everything all the time. Here's a good script for that.

at

at

Level 4
It was directed at all the heroes in general.
ye, the quote tags screwed that up. Fixed.

Subclasses would be interesting, but there are other things a mage can do than just 'damage a target for 100' ;)

-Buff people
-Eyecandy
-Targeting options
-Unrelated stuff like teleporting and such
-Ally support (not only priests provide support to allies, not everything to allies has to be holy ;))
True. Tho please explain the eyecandy and the targeting options. Don't really understand your point. Any spell can be eyecandy :)
Teleporting is cool. Also Portals would be great. And Buffs is something I kinda forgot about. Tho, what I've experienced is that the players doesnt really use their buffs in RPGs, unless they're really serious. 60 seconds buffs is extremly annoying. Therefor, If I do buffs, then they would probably be like 10 min and they wouldn't cost that much mana.
Anyway, in wcIII you can't have 30 spells, unless you know heavy interface scripting. And I want to use the few spots there is in the best way possible. But I will inlcude buffs, if not for mages, then for other classes.

Oh, and make sure to make/get some basic AI for the summons. It's really annoying to have to order them to do everything all the time. Here's a good script for that.
I will, don't worry. I do have the same experiences as you about that ;)

Level 40
Eyecandy; several damage spells on a hero are still interesting, if they look different and cool, and seem different.
Targeting options; AoE, projectile movement (like a fireball or your blessed hammer), etc, can make quite the difference between 2 basic damage spells ;)

And if you make buffs actually powerful, people will use them. (or die... meheheheheheheheh)

Level 8
You could make poisons a spellbook ability. You could click on the ability, then select what kind of poison you want and it appears in your inventory. You can then use to get some kind of buff to your attack.

The only problem with subclasses is the massive amount of work for each one. But if it could be pulled off it would make for a nice hero variety.

at

at

Level 4
Didn't think about the spellbook. I should probably use the same thing for the minions of the mage.
Ye, it's alot of work. But I'm ready to put effort into that, if it's worth it.

Level 40
The only problem with subclasses is the massive amount of work for each one. But if it could be pulled off it would make for a nice hero variety.
Make 1/3 as many classes as normal, 2 subclasses for each one (or just half as many heroes, and a choice to stick with your main or to branch off into one subclass) and it's no more work than a standard RPG, just taken with a different approach.

I mean think about it...

Warrior
---Barbarian
---Monk
---Paladin
---Druid

Rogue
---Assassin
---Ranger

Mage
---Priest
---Sorceror
---Necromancer
---Conjurer

You don't have to get that general, but that's basically what most RPGs have (the classes, not the subclass system). So if you just made what's already in the game into classes and subclasses, it's no more work and a lot more awesome :p

As to your previous suggestions, in my opinion Paladin --- Zealot makes a lot more sense than Zealot --- Paladin

at

at

Level 4
PurplePoot: A good idea. I still like the idea of making speccs, is that what's you mean? If not, isn't that just like making alot of classes, but putting them in categories? What's the difference?

Flame_Phoenix: Well, point is, I don't have the skills. But I would like to learn, and therefor try it out myself. But in the future, if there's alot of classes and spells, we could surely use some help just to save time. Anyway, this is nothing I've decided with Bgutz, so it would just be stupid starting doing the spells now. They one I made was just for fun/training.

An honest opinion about your RPG. Your RPG it's just equal to the others. All RPG's always have a monk class or a rogue class it is always the same thing. Plus in warcraft the max number of abilities a hero can have is 5.

1. So here is my opinion, for the number of abilities:
    Option 1 - 5 abilities (1 Custom ability with no mana cost, 3 regular abilties and 1 ulti)
    Option 2 - X abilites. Use option 1 to give the hero Custom abilities and after that allow the player to chose the path he wants. Use SpellBooks to do this. Example, for a sorceress hero you can can 5 custom abilities that all sorc heroes share BUT you let the player buy the spellbook he wants, like spellbook of fire and ice, or spellbook of electricity. This way the player can have multiple strategies for his hero and the game will never be equal to the one you played 10 mins ago.
  2. Another suggstion is using ITEM systems. There are in this website ITEM systems that allow you to use more that only 6 items per hero.
  3. Use Reward systems. Reward systems are usually used on quests but why only in quests ?? Create a reward system that rewards the best healer of the team or that rewards the best ud killer. Use them to improve the team pley of the group.
  4. Anti-bad stuff system. Use systems that prevent the usage of bad language and the usage of kill stealing. There are such systems in this website, besides what makes a good game it is the level of envolvment a player has inside it, and i guarante you players won't be much involved with unfair games.Also prevent unbalanced items or strategies, those can be fun the first 5 mins, but they will eventually ruin the game. Also prevent team kill, prevent players from attacking their mates, this is very easy to do and yet very important.
  5. Items, give a new meaning to them. Create new types and combinations of items. Creare a new item world as items do play a very important role in RPGs.
  6. Create a new world. Why create only a new RPG when you can create a new world ?? Change ALL the games interface, use new icons and new models. Players will feel thei are in a new game different from warcraft and so they will like more your RPG. There are lot's of tutorials about that and people that can do that for you (like me =P) so take advantage of that.
  7. Create a new concept of RPG. Most RPG's fail because with only 1 units, it can get bored very fast and very easily. Alow players to hide mercenaries r even train armies, as i said before allow them to choose their path.Some players are better as leaders other as heroes, give them a chance to be what they want.
  8. DON'T USE TOMES or if you use them BALANCE THEM ALOT. Tomes are the MAIN reason why 90% RPG's fail, tomes make MAPS UNBALANCED. it wouldn't be fair if only 1 hero could defeat a boss and all game armies would it ?? Tomes are for heroes arenas ONLY, keep that in mind. Besides a hero with lot's of tomes wion't need any items or any strategies ...
  9. Terrain. use it to make a new world, create secret areas and secret passages. Most of the RPG's are always the same with nothing new, thus making players get bored ver easily. Also make adventures, yes adventures not quests. Imagine that you and your team are in the midlle of the woods to kill the Evil Guardian and suddenly assassins come out from the woods to take away your money ?? Yes create ambushes and things a player never expetcs. If a player is forced to focus all his attention in the game, he will find it more interesting and he will want to know more abouyt it. That is what we want rit ? You can use terrain to do this. Create traps and lot's of stuff. Most adventures people have are never expected (that's why they are adventures !)
  10. Spicy your game. yes do it different. Example, in most RPG's when your heroes dies you just loose the game or you just revive, it's always the same. I say do something different. Give the dead player a second chance, like give him a soul to do some task and than he gets revived, or give his team mates a new mission a mission that will revive that player. Also when a unit dies, you can say it is very sick and not dead, thus you will have to find a medicine in time to heal it. If you manage to make your game a lot different from others, it will be a tremendous success.

These are my main ideas. I really think that if you follow them, your RPG will be a success. Still, you should also visit this website:
http://world-editor-tutorials.thehelper.net/cat_usersubmit.php?view=17900

Have fun reading my post =) and i hope it helps you =)

Last edited:

at

at

Level 4
Thanks for the ideas :)
An honest opinion about your RPG. Your RPG it's just equal to the others. All RPG's always have a monk class or a rogue class it is always the same thing.
The RPG doesnt exist :p Anyway, I don't see anything wrong with making a RPG that's following the regular RPG-spirit a bit. I just want to make it better.

So here is my opinion, for the number of abilities:
Option 1 - 5 abilities (1 Custom ability with no mana cost, 3 regular abilties and 1 ulti)
Option 2 - X abilites. Use option 1 to give the hero Custom abilities and after that allow the player to chose the path he wants. Use SpellBooks to do this. Example, for a sorceress hero you can can 5 custom abilities that all sorc heroes share BUT you let the player buy the spellbook he wants, like spellbook of fire and ice, or spellbook of electricity. This way the player can have multiple strategies for his hero and the game will never be equal to the one you played 10 mins ago.
Well, ye, but you should be careful not making the RPG to advanced. This is another version of the other idea, about sublacces/speccs. And I like it absolutly. Sounds like another dimension of RPGs in wcIII.

Another suggstion is using ITEM systems. There are in this website ITEM systems that allow you to use more that only 6 items per hero.
Ofcourse. Everything else is worthless. Hopefully you should have a really large BP, but only a few spots where you can were things. That's my vision.

Use Reward systems. Reward systems are usually used on quests but why only in quests ?? Create a reward system that rewards the best healer of the team or that rewards the best ud killer. Use them to improve the team pley of the group.
You mean that the player that heals the most gets items? Well, I actually don't see how that would improve the team play. I think that would create internal fights. A better way, is just to simple force the players to team play to be able to get things, by killing bosses or finishing hard quests.

Anti-bad stuff system. Use systems that prevent the usage of bad language and the usage of kill stealing. There are such systems in this website, besides what makes a good game it is the level of envolvment a player has inside it, and i guarante you players won't be much involved with unfair games.Also prevent unbalanced items or strategies, those can be fun the first 5 mins, but they will eventually ruin the game. Also prevent team kill, prevent players from attacking their mates, this is very easy to do and yet very important.
Kill stealing should absolutly be prevented. The best way is to simply use the wow-system. The one who gets the first hit gets the kill (and his group).
What do you mean with Team-Kill? How could you kill the other players?
About the bad language, tbh I don't think that's really needed :p

Items, give a new meaning to them. Create new types and combinations of items. Creare a new item world as items do play a very important role in RPGs.
Indeed they do. Primary, I don't want what I've seen in others kind of poor RPGS: You level up a bit, it gives you alot of money, and then you buy 6 of the best weapon, and then you're finished. Ueck.

Create a new world. Why create only a new RPG when you can create a new world ?? Change ALL the games interface, use new icons and new models. Players will feel thei are in a new game different from warcraft and so they will like more your RPG. There are lot's of tutorials about that and people that can do that for you (like me =P) so take advantage of that.
I wouldn't ever think of using the standard WCIII models for the heroes, that's the kind of thing that can ruin a fantastic RPG. About the Interface, I couldnt do that by myself, but with help then ofc that's always an awesome +.

Create a new concept of RPG. Most RPG's fail because with only 1 units, it can get bored very fast and very easily. Alow players to hide mercenaries r even train armies, as i said before allow them to choose their path.Some players are better as leaders other as heroes, give them a chance to be what they want.
Well, I don't know about that army thingy. Sounds abit to for away from the RPG concept. But everything is considerable.

DON'T USE TOMES or if you use them BALANCE THEM ALOT. Tomes are the MAIN reason why 90% RPG's fail, tomes make MAPS UNBALANCED. it wouldn't be fair if only 1 hero could defeat a boss and all game armies would it ?? Tomes are for heroes arenas ONLY, keep that in mind. Besides a hero with lot's of tomes wion't need any items or any strategies ...
I agree totally. Tomes are not considered. (and not to extreme items either. teamplay is what's primary needed.)

Terrain. use it to make a new world, create secret areas and secret passages. Most of the RPG's are always the same with nothing new, thus making players get bored ver easily. Also make adventures, yes adventures not quests. Imagine that you and your team are in the midlle of the woods to kill the Evil Guardian and suddenly assassins come out from the woods to take away your money ?? Yes create ambushes and things a player never expetcs. If a player is forced to focus all his attention in the game, he will find it more interesting and he will want to know more abouyt it. That is what we want rit ? You can use terrain to do this. Create traps and lot's of stuff. Most adventures people have are never expected (that's why they are adventures !)
Sounds fun. Terrain is ofc an important thing in a good RPG, to make impact on the player. And unexpected event would surely make it exiting :p

Spicy your game. yes do it different. Example, in most RPG's when your
heroes dies you just loose the game or you just revive, it's always the same. I say do something different. Give the dead player a second chance, like give him a soul to do some task and than he gets revived, or give his team mates a new mission a mission that will revive that player. Also when a unit dies, you can say it is very sick and not dead, thus you will have to find a medicine in time to heal it. If you manage to make your game a lot different from others, it will be a tremendous success.
Just revival for money or something is indeed very boring. Tho I wouldnt make it to difficult to come back to life, I know how annoying that can be. And the wow-concept of running is not a good idea. So probably there should be something as you say, like a minimission for the deadplayer.

Thanks, again. This will help me, I promise. ;)

Level 40
I made an old vJass item system that can handle some equipment slots, a backpack, bags, stackable items, etc, that all happened within the inventory itself (no Full Screen Inventory or any of that shiz), so if you want to toy with it drop me a line and I'll send it to you.

It's not the most user-friendly ever (I never really finished it...) but it's pretty easy to use after you work out what goes where ;)

And what I meant with my other post was that it's not necessarily more work to make subclasses, it just depends what you do. If you, for example, divided up standard RPG classes that would be used anyways, and put them as subclasses, there's no more work involved (well, a miniscule amount for the subclass system...) and yet it adds something to the game.

Well, wermm... i have no more comments to say ... still i think that to make an RPG you should be different. You can also use Warcraft custom maps (made by Blizzard) that are in JASS and learn something from their spells and codes.

About the armies and mercenaries, well, there are 2 possibilities:
1 - Diablo's system. When you hire a mercenary you do not control it. The mercenary it is a unit that follows you to any place in the world, and if you fight he fights, if you run he runs and so on. This system is good for complex RPG hero system that require the player to focus all his/her attention in the hero thus not having time to control any extra units. However it will require an advanced set of Artificial Intelligence to make it work properly, and it may be confusing when having multiple units.
2 - You make heroes easier to use thus giving the player more time to control extra units. The advantage of this tactic is the fact that by giving the player more time, the player and his team will have more opportunities to make strategies and won't get bored so easily.

About armies i also came up with 2 solutions:
1 - You can hire mercenaries or rescue groups until you have an army that will follow you. The the mercenary system it can be AI controlled but it will require a much more complicated code system. It would be needed a system to make those units react and interact with the player as well.
2 - Or you can control your army normally. The advantages are the same the mercenary system i already explained but the disadvantage is that if you follow this system your RPG will not be much different from warcraft thus making players not having much interest in the RPG as it does not offer a real new world.

Now it is up to you... I guess i don't have any more ideas for now =p

at

at

Level 4
Purple_Poot: Exactly, it's not that more work, unless you follow Dantes example and make like 7 classes with 4 subs each :p
But something like you said with Mage+Warrior+Agilithero with 4 subclasses each would work out great. Either as different classes or speccs. (Btw, about the specc idea. That wouldnt mean that you could just enter the spellbook anytime and chance, you should be able to do that like once every x level, and then when you're at max you can do it by either paying alot of money, or something else. I think the respeccing system in wow is quite effective, you don't want to be stuck as a pure supportclass through the whole game.
And ye, I would like that system alot :) Would be great if I could check it out.

Flame: Well, If I added the army thingy then it would be the second option. Controlling other units then your hero seems to far away from the RPG-concept. And 100 units following the hero sounds abit laggy and uneffective to me :p But you could have like a single pet, (everyone, not just the hunter) that follows you, and does some minor damage to your enemy. Not that good tho, would add to much unbalance in my opinion.
/at

EDIT: Where can I find a nice inventory system? The only thing I can find is HappyTaurens, and it only works in single player mode.

Last edited:

at

at

Level 4
I need some help here.
I've downloaded landscapes models and textures, alot of files (bout 300), and I need to use them in different maps. Problem is, I don't want to import them one by one into each map and then path them all. I've donwload MPQ editor, but I can't make it work. How to do decide their paths and stuff? I would be very pleased if someone could give me an explanation on how to do this.
/at

EDIT: That didn't make any sense. I know how to create my own MPQ. I just wonder how it works. What do I do? Put the MPQ in the WCIII folder? An then I can choose those models when I edit the units models? Or what? Do I have to import anything? :-

at

at

Level 4
Well, duh, I think you misunderstood me quite abit. :p
The point is, I can import things into the map, but It takes an awful lot of time to import all the models/textures, and then check all their paths and change them. I know that you can create your own MPQ to make this part easier in some way. But exactly How?
EDIT: btw, it's over 300 files. It's the B2M High-res kit. That's why I think it's annoying :)¨
EDIT2: I've downloaded WE Unlimited. It says that you can select multiple imports in the import manager and change their paths at the same time. But I can't find out how. Help? :)

Last edited:

at

at

Level 4
Also, the B2M Hi-Res kit will not fit in a BNet map. (or it wouldn't last time I checked, anyways)

True, and that's to bad. I wish there would be someone to get around that, it looks so amazing. Btw, are there any way to connect maps, like using more then one map in an ORPG?

at

at

Level 4
Well not Guild Wars, but maybe like 2 maps :p We'll see what'll happen...

Well, if you find a code to dl maps in real game time, i am sure lots of people will want to know it, that would be a good to share with the community (i think).

In other hand you can create a mini-epic world.
it is just like arthur party together with risk.

Imagine the scenario: You create a map, with size epic and you reduce ALL the units size to half. The result would be a super huge map with the illusion of small units, creating even a bigger huge map illusion.
Now you can use camera bounds to set bounds into your world. Than you can create tunnels and underground passages that will move the unit to another place of you huge map... but it will look like a new scenario, like a new map because you are using different camera bounds.

It's up to you.

at

at

Level 4
Something like that would be cool. The bigger the better :p

The system is from a map and it is GUI.
It is probably for only one player but i am sure that with the mods help and some effort you will turn it into the system you want.

I don't know where it is now, but i will search for it again =)

What do you say when some1 gives you something ??? what is the magical word ???? =P

EDIT: here it is =) the map that contains the system.
But i warn you, this system will probably need some radical changes.
You have two options when using it:
1 - You use the key arrows to change the camera bounds with the in-zoom camera system (or change the system in a radical way to work with the arrow)
2 - You use the out-zoom camera system, which can also work.

What do you say when some1 gives you something ??? What is the magical word ???? :razz:

Attachments

• Sniper Rifle.w3x
    279.6 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

at

at

Level 4
Uhm. Gimme more?
I'll try it. And then you might get that word :)
EDIT: Tried it. But what do you mean? I don't see any changes of the camerabounds. Explain :) and thanks :p

Last edited:
well, every time you use the zoom ability you change the current camera bounds. The same when you move the hero around the map with his zoom on and the same when you move the hero with his zoom off.
The play camera used is focused on the units movement thus every little move you do changes the current camera bounds.
If you look to the minimap when you use the zoom ability you will see a rectangle which indicates that the camera bounds changed. That rectangle changes if you move and so on. I know it is complicated, just try to have a look on the triggers as i can't explain better.

In the other hand, the out zoomed image also changes the camera bounds of the unit, but it is less effective and will probably get you an head hake.

Anyway,if modified this system could prove useful to you in you RPG. Ask for PurplePoot's opinion as he may be able to explain you better what i mean.

Just think about this: is every time you zoom, the camera bounds change, can't you apply that to something else without zooming ??

at

at

Level 4
Oh, I thought you meant that you can only see a certain part of the minimap, or something like that... How can I use the camerabounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.