• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Chronicles of the Second War: Tides of Darkness

This bundle is marked as director's cut. It exceeds all expectations and excels in every regard.
maptitle-png.385652

Chronicles of the Second War:
Tides of Darkness
Relive the events of Warcraft II orc campaign, reimagined in Reforged engine.
Experience rich lore from the events of the Second War, based on classic games and novels.
Enjoy the gameplay that merges best features of WC2 and WC3, through RTS and RPG missions.
Explore mysterious places and conquer mighty cities with beautifully crafted terrain and decorations.

fade-seperator-png.362941

*** Installation Guide for Windows OS***
ActionVisual Clue
This campaign is available for those who have purchased a copy of "Warcraft III: Reforged": https://warcraft3.blizzard.com/ latest version 1.36.1
If you have the Demo version of CSW (circa 2020) installed - delete it and clean up the retail folder from its assets
Make sure your game settings are set HD reforged graphics
Download the campaign file
Put campaign file into C:/User/Documents/Warcraft3/Campaigns/
f8c391e5-7ff3-4be1-ade5-568d894dee0e-png.457961
Download installer Asset Installer
Put installer into Warcraft 3 folder where Game Launcher.exe is placed
1c02d8c8-ab64-49a6-98d6-f9ed69e65ee2-png.457962
Download asset pack Asset Pack
Run CSW Installer.exe as Administrator
f67e04c2-61a0-45a6-865e-d2b198161ef4-png.457966
Click button “Load Resource” - pick the Asset Pack
17def230-db66-4f7c-a2bf-117548de70ef-png.457963
Wait till the archive is unpacked
Reboot your PC
Launch "Wacraft III: Reforged" game
Go to “Single Player” → “Custom Campaign”
d37efbc2-827a-4f7b-8b33-e2fae4daac4c-png.457965
Play the game.
Remember that Campaign works only in HD (Reforged graphics) game settings.
The Campaign is not compatible with Quenching mod.

If textures were not applied after installation of asset pack - reinstall assets one more time.
b2474263-8d30-4e41-bf5a-ff4cc2b07f28-png.457964

*** Installation Guide for MAC OS***
ActionVisual Clue
This campaign is available for those who have purchased a copy of "Warcraft III: Reforged": https://warcraft3.blizzard.com/ latest version 1.36.1
Put campaign file into folder for campaign in MAC OS
Right click on the TOD_Campaign_Assets.csw file and open with Archive Utility.
Unzip the Asset Pack as you would a zip file into the retail folder within the Reforged installation directory.
Open the terminal and enter the following exactly:
defaults write "com.blizzard.Warcraft III" "Allow Local Files" -int 1
If texture issues persist after the above steps, try restarting the machine.
Play the game.

If textures were not applied after installation of asset pack - reinstall assets one more time.

*** Installation Guide for Linux OS***
ActionVisual Clue
Put campaign file into folder for campaign in Linux OS
Follow the following guide but for Warcraft 3 Reforged: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxet_LLQIwE&t=424s
This runs Reforged under Steam's emulation layer
Unzip the Asset Pack as you would a zip file into the retail folder within the Reforged installation directory
The tricky part is finding your "home" directory where you put your custom campaigns. In one user's case (agibsonccc) the filepath was the following:
/home/agibsonccc/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/compatdata/2542504305/pfx/drive_c/users/steamuser/Documents/Warcraft III/Campaigns
The way proton works is you have steam and then an "appid" followed by a "prefix". The appid is basically a mapping to a "game" you specify in the left side in steam. That's wine's root directory. drive_c is C: then from there the paths should be the same.
Play the game.

Features
17 Missions packed with captivating gameplay

5 hours of Cinematics capturing and expanding on important lore moments

Lore conveyed through immersing gameplay, bringing you back into WC2 era

Voice Acting for over 1500 lines, from unit quotes to cinematics

Soundtrack recreating original Warcraft II music, made by talented artists

Heroes & Characters introduced through gameplay and cameos

Oil Resource system from classic Warcraft II, for immersive naval experience

Boss Battles with engaging and challenging mechanics inspired by World of Warcraft

Recommended PC Requirements
HardwareValue
Operating SystemWindows 10 64-bit (latest version)
ProcessorIntel Core i7
VideoGTX 1080
Memory32GB
Storage3GB (for campaign files)

Known Issues
Place - ScopeBugPriority for fix in next patchesComment
1GlobalSometimes Oil UI Warning messages can be played during cinematicsMediumNeed to investigate jass oil script and fix it.
2Chapter Nine: Razing of Tyrs HandEnemy AI doesnt send troops via transports to attack player.Medium
3Chapter Eleven: Quel’ThalasTroll camp AI might work weird. It has to be rewritten to JASS instead of GUI.Medium
4Chapter Ten: StratholmeMounted Gul’dan model has issues with facial animations. Probably need to rework model form scratch.Medium
5Chapter Ten: StratholmeEnemy Naval AI is not attacking playerMediumRequire a lot of effort on investigating AI script and testing.
6GlobalUpon Loading Saved game, the custom wc2 music list is played over like second layer.Medium
7GlobalBuilding and Unit models willbe updated in next pathces (pkb effects)MediumPKB effect were removed cuz it caused a lot of crashes before 1.36.1
8GlobalSome unit animations and models will be fixed and improvedMedium
9Chapter 13: Tomb of SargarasSometimes Rend Visual Aura Effect (BlackRoll and Roll) is not displayed .Medium
10GlobalGul’dan spell “Inferno” - summoned infernal need to be better balanced.Low
11GlobalCho'gall and Ogre-Magi Spell animation sometimes overlap and duplicate.Low
12GlobalFacial Animations are not stable in the maps that have a lot of dialogues.LowThe problem is that faceanim sometimes doesnt work for unknown reasons, and dev need to manually try another faceanim. Change and testing takes a lot of time.
13GlobalItems that need custom models:
  • Mana potion
  • earth elemental summoning token
Low
14GlobalMelee unit can attack enemy unit that is standing on the wall, no matter how big difference in Z axis is.LowMelee Attack in game enginge doesnt take into account Z axis. In order to fix this, the additional pathing blockers has to be palced. Tedious and time consuming work that could delay release for many weeks.
15GlobalSometimes Air units can go through models of high towers.LowThis reuqires tedious rework of pathing blockers in some missions.
16Lost Chapter: DragonqueenThe goblin motor boat damage flames are disappearing when Zuluhed dismounts from it.LowestHard to identify the reason why it happens.
17GlobalCho'gall In-game text transmissions missing line breaks.Lowest
18GlobalFPS drops in some cutscenes that have panorama viewIMPOSSIBLE TO FIXThe team didnt have the knowledge about some limitations, but we wanted to make some beautiful shots.
19GlobalOn the loading screen map can crash because of incorrect texture decompression.
Walkaround - restart the mission.
IMPOSSIBLE TO FIXBlizzard Bug
20GlobalWhen the Peon which carry resourse is switched to another Building Construction set, the resource he carry is lost.IMPOSSIBLE TO FIXThe game engine limitations doesnt allow to fix this bug.
21GlobalUnits that don’t have Facial Animations:
  • Goblin Zeppelin
  • Gangrel
  • Fanatic
  • Twilight Peon
  • Cho'gall
IMPOSSIBLE TO FIXThose units are using soundkits of the beasts and mechanisms, whose sounds were replced in import manager. And they don’t have the needed facefx.

Credits

Click here for full credits list.

"Huge thank you to everyone who supported us, helped us, believed in us.
We hope this campaign was fun to play. Stay tuned for upcoming sequel
Chronicles of the Second War - Rise of the Alliance."
- LoreCraft Designs team

Translation / Dubbing

Changelog

Patch v1.03 29/Jan/2024)

Hotfix v1.02 11/Jan/2024)

Hotfix v1.01 09/Jan/2024)

Previous Version Savegames will not be loadable.
Acts now are visible for the first playthrough for the blocked players if they dont want to start from the begining.

Campaign:

• Chogall cinematic walk fix by Fugrim
  • Deathwing Pre-Wow remodeling by Handclaw (model) and Symphoneum (animations) + fixes by VictorZ (animations)
  • Goblin Zeppelin Portait floppy mouth animation fix by Malmgrev
  • Death Knight Death Coil Ability Drain Effect changed to Red Life Drain
  • Death Knight Armor type changed to Small
  • Death Knight HP increased from 400 to 600
  • Human Mage Armor type changed to Small
  • Human Mage HP increased from 400 to 600
  • Dragon armor increased from 0 to 2
  • Gryphon Rider Armor increased from 0 to 2
  • Goblin rockets item damage doubled
Mission 06S:
  • Fixed Alextrasza landing bug in Lost Chapter I: Dragonqueen
  • Decreased the amount of souls to charge the Dragonsoul from 5 to 3
Mission 10:
  • Teron Gorefiend superunit armor type changed to Small and life increased to 1000
Mission 4:
  • Naval AI upgrade level nerfed to 1 on Hard and training pause increased
Mission 5:
  • Naval AI upgrade level nerfed to 1 on Hard and training pause increased
Mission 7:
  • Removed second ballista from Stromgarde Attack Wave on Hard and Normal

Acts now are visible for the first playthrough for the blocked players if they dont want to start from the begining.

Campaign:

• Zeppelin price increased from 500 to 1000 gold
  • Zeppelin build time increased from 20 to 61
  • Zeppelin food cost increased from 1 to 4
  • Pillage rate nerfed
Mission 09:
  • Hold the line defeat condition changed to be more reliable
  • Autokiling zeppelins that reach cinematic area of Tyrs Hand
Mission 11S:
  • Decreased bounty for killing units

Mission 01:

• Creeps nerfed
  • Fixed bug with signal fire completion after failing
Mission 02:
  • Creeps nerfed
  • Fixed sasquatch flying above the cave
Mission 03
  • Naval AI nerfed
  • Creeps nerfed
Mission 04:
  • Creeps nerfed
  • Fixed skin for Gilneas Battleship
  • Nerfed naval AI difficulty
  • Placed the fountain of health in the camp
Mission 5:
  • Extended beach for building naval buildings in north part
  • Creeps nerfed
  • Changed drop for jungle monster
  • Naval AI difficulty nerfed
  • Turned off Rain for better performance
Mission 6S:
  • Fix Alextrasza stuck when she goes back
  • Creeps nerfed
Mission 7:
  • Creeps nerfed
Mission 8:
  • Creeps nerfed
Misison 8S:
  • Creeps nerfed
Mission09:
  • Fixed instant defeat on the last quest Hold the Line
  • Creeps nerfed
  • Archmage is invulnerable now till he starts freezing the lake
Mission 10:
  • Reworked logic of Death Knight Cinematic launch (now no need to wait till all player units are killed near the cathdral)
  • Creeps nerfed
Mission 12:
  • Fixed Chogall running away in bossfight phase 2 and 3
  • Fixed Rend disappeared from cache (need to be tested starting form mission 9)
Previews
Contents

CSW campaign Tides of Darkness (Campaign)

Reviews
Archian
We are thrilled to share some news with all of you about Chronicles of the Second War: Tides of Darkness, we are happy to announce that it has been officially granted a prestigious Director's Cut rating! This recognition is a testament to the...
Level 21
I got passed Tol Barad mission and going to go into the next one...
Hopefully can let people know if I have the same problem as well...

Level 1
Hi all, i am excited to try this but having some trouble getting it running on my M1 mac. I can run the campaign but the assets and textures are not loaded.

Problems i have encountered:
  • The Mac OS install instructions seem incorrect. The step "Unzip the Asset Pack as you would a zip file into the retail folder within the Reforged installation directory." is duplicated, and it never actually says to run the Installer executable.
  • I cannot run the CSW_Installer.exe on M1 mac. I click it and nothing happens. If i run it in terminal i get a "exec format error". I think this is because it is not compatible with the M1 processor. Is there any way to get an installer for M1 mac? or is there another way to install the asset packs.

Any help would is much appreciated. Thanks!

Update: got it to work. The missing step is that you need to take the TOD_Campaign_Assets.csw file and right click it and open with Archive Utility. This will "unpack" that file into multiple folders which you must place in the retail folder

Last edited:
Level 1
Its getting a little frustrating, I love everything about this campaign. I truly do, I've seen the work and love put into this - but I can't seem to actually finish off the dragonqueen level without it crashing during the ending cutscene. I've been downloading every update, and even had to restart my campaign twice. Does any of the stuff from it carry over to other levels, or should I be waiting for another update?

Edited to say - figured out it was entirely my fault, forgot to check the asset thing and turns out I wasn't updating that. So - even more credit to you lot, already solved the problem!

Last edited:
Level 6
Hey sorry if this has been asked before.
I have the war3 reforged but i prefer using the Classic graphic option toggle (as blizzard calls it).
Can this great campaign be played like that?
Thanks!

Hey sorry if this has been asked before.
I have the war3 reforged but i prefer using the Classic graphic option toggle (as blizzard calls it).
Can this great campaign be played like that?
Thanks!
That will take much work. Azazzello [XGM] has the classic models, but he's been long since out of touch.
As for making the rest of the campaign so we see Searing Gorge and the Hinterlands, you're counting on a 22-year-old engine that has not been updated like WoW.

Level 7
1709725958602.png

Alexstrasza's Invulnerable is not over and landing event is not occured.
Is it because I used Crowd Control such as Fear in time to accidentally Alexstrasza's HP checking event?
If my guess is correct, please consider giving Alex the CC immune attribution(ex: attribute sapper to Alex, and Ensnare and Fear can only be used to for non-sapper) or using detailed timerutils function that constantly checks the condition of the unit until the event occurs exactly.

Level 2
Hi all, i am excited to try this but having some trouble getting it running on my M1 mac. I can run the campaign but the assets and textures are not loaded.

Problems i have encountered:
  • The Mac OS install instructions seem incorrect. The step "Unzip the Asset Pack as you would a zip file into the retail folder within the Reforged installation directory." is duplicated, and it never actually says to run the Installer executable.
  • I cannot run the CSW_Installer.exe on M1 mac. I click it and nothing happens. If i run it in terminal i get a "exec format error". I think this is because it is not compatible with the M1 processor. Is there any way to get an installer for M1 mac? or is there another way to install the asset packs.

Any help would is much appreciated. Thanks!

Update: got it to work. The missing step is that you need to take the TOD_Campaign_Assets.csw file and right click it and open with Archive Utility. This will "unpack" that file into multiple folders which you must place in the retail folder
Hey there, I'm in the same situation with you (M1 mac). I've copied the campaign file into the proper folder, but then run into textures issues (no buildings, units are white).

Could you give me some details about the assets file? I've extracted the TOD_Campaign_Assets.csw file and it has several folders. I placed these into this folder:

.../Applications/Warcraft 3/retail

Apart from these folders, now the retail folder has an x386 folder too.

1. Is this the correct "retail" folder?
2. Did you have to put all subfolders into "retail" or it works fine if they're inside the TOD_Campaign_Assets folder?
3. Did you have to run the line on the terminal the guide suggests?

Thank you so much!

--------

Update: Managed to play by extracting the folders inside the _retail... folder. Seems they have to be put there, and not in a parent folder (originally appearing by extracting the archive).

1. The game is just amazing, congratulations and thank you so much!
2. I ran into a never-ending crashing situation in mission 5. This was mentioned also in earlier pages. No matter what I do (number of units, low graphics etc), it will inevitably crash at some point. The crashes start only after I attack the human cities on the left of the map. Any ideas for fixes are much appreciated.

Last edited:
Level 2
Also had issues with textures not loading on Mac version of the game and as others have said the instructions are misleading.

I'm running the game on an Intel Mac so for ARM Macs this may be a little different but probably not.

As I spent ages trying to get this to work reading the other Mac related posts here and in the end found the solution was different than what was written, I simply mirrored what the PC installer did with the files on my son's PC and finally, it worked. Here goes for others still having issues:

ActionVisual Clue
This campaign is available for those who have purchased a copy of "Warcraft III: Reforged": Warcraft III: Reforged latest version 1.36.1
Put campaign file into folder for campaign in MAC OS - This folder is hidden by default on the Mac. You can find it by unhiding your hidden folders (Shift - Command - . ) then going to users/username/library/application support/Blizzard/Warcraft III/Campaigns (create folder if there isn't one) and drop the campaign file in there.
Download asset pack Asset Pack. Unzip the resulting file.
Discard the outer folder called TOD_Campaign_Assets and drop the six folders inside it into the Applications/Warcraft III/Retail folder. Not the X86_64, the retail folder.

Level 2
Also had issues with textures not loading on Mac version of the game and as others have said the instructions are misleading.

I'm running the game on an Intel Mac so for ARM Macs this may be a little different but probably not.

As I spent ages trying to get this to work reading the other Mac related posts here and in the end found the solution was different than what was written, I simply mirrored what the PC installer did with the files on my son's PC and finally, it worked. Here goes for others still having issues:

ActionVisual Clue
This campaign is available for those who have purchased a copy of "Warcraft III: Reforged": Warcraft III: Reforged latest version 1.36.1
Put campaign file into folder for campaign in MAC OS - This folder is hidden by default on the Mac. You can find it by unhiding your hidden folders (Shift - Command - . ) then going to users/username/library/application support/Blizzard/Warcraft III/Campaigns (create folder if there isn't one) and drop the campaign file in there.
Download asset pack Asset Pack. Unzip the resulting file.
Discard the outer folder called TOD_Campaign_Assets and drop the six folders inside it into the Applications/Warcraft III/Retail folder. Not the X86_64, the retail folder.

Can confirm the above instructions worked for me too.

Could you let me know if you run into trouble on mission #5? The first time it crashed when I attacked the human cities. I played it twice more from the beginning, and got random crashes before that. First time my graphics settings were all high, the other two times only the textures were high (and vsync ON), and the rest low.

It's quite a pity, because the campaign is simply amazing. My system is an M1 with 16GB RAM, never had a problem with the WC3 reforged campaign.

Level 4
Hi,
I have a question regarding the Black Dragon Totem that I will need to mark as spoiler as not to ruin the experience for others.
I found all 3 pieces on the Dwarven Map (Tol Barad?) but put them on Maim Blackhand, not on Zuluhed. In the swamp, I got the wings from the Lava Spawn, but obv Zuluhed didn't have the rest on him to combine the item. After Dragonqueen mission, I steer Maim again - with the still incomplete statue... Will I get the chance to combine them (play the extra mission I believe?) or would I need to move back to Tol'Barad to store the then useless item on Zulu?
Thanks for your ideas :)

Level 1
The secret mission with red dragons (The Dragonqueen) keeps crashing after the intro cinematic. I'm using the latest War3Reforged patch, macOS Sonoma.

Attachments

• Crash.txt
    119.4 KB · Views: 5
  • War3Log.txt
    48 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Level 3
This campaign is fire! It's great to see Reforged actually being used to it's full potential. I gotta ask, are you planning on making the human campaign as well? :)

Nyctaeus

Hosted Project: W3E
Level 17
Finished couple days ago. Beyond amazing.

This is something I'd expect old Blizzard to make, but modern Blizzard would completely fail to. I wonder if Dave played it with bittersweet feeling of wanting to do something like this. Almost 3A-quality mod, that's also Warcraft to the bones. This community is amazing, because unlike many others, Hive can deliver spectacular-quality megaprojects.

Things to complain about? Very few.
Stromgarde suffers from too narrow steets syndome, and I my ferries didn't want to unload units on the western dock. Ascend to Alextrasza's lair is stupidly long and painful to play. Lorderon City finale feels somewhat lackluster, but if I remember correctly, you guys want to rework it in the future, so it's current shape is not a bad way to have a complete campaign.

Notable highlights: Character development [love your Doomhammer and your interpretation of Blackhand's sons], interior maps [Goblin underground and Dark Iron dungeon are breathtaking], entire arc of pursuit after Gul'Dan is a masterpiece.

Level 21
Just a suggestion for the Black Dragon Statue Pieces that you give them to "Zuluhed the Whacked"...

And yeah...
And it will let you get the Secret Mission easier for both missions since you use him twice in those...

The Custom Campaign itself is really great too, and I am excited to finally see the Alliance side of the Chronicles of the Second War...

Level 2
Had same issue.

EDIT:
Looks like reinstalling .csw second time fixes it.

At first I thought it had to be the TOD_Campaign_Assets.csw from CSW - Installer and Assets
But I tried re-installing CSWAssetsPack.csw on a separate PC and that fixed it as well.

So yeah - fix is reinstalling .csw
I had the same issue. Every model were white.
Same fix for me :
  • Reboot
  • launch CSW_Installer.exe
  • Delete CSW
  • Load Resource
  • Select the TOD_Campaign_Assets.csw file

I Relaunched the game and it was fixed.

I can't wait to play this !! Thank you so much !
war2.png

Last edited: