• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Chinese food

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 22
I've only tried Malaysian Chinese food by the way, but I hope that I can get to enjoy some delicious food of Taiwan. They are generally okay, but I don't like seafood very much.

List of Malaysian Chinese food I've tried:
  1. Kwong-foo chao 廣府炒 (Prefers to Have No Prawns)
  2. Hainanese Chicken Rice 海南雞飯 (Prefers Roasted Chicken Breast 燒雞胸)
  3. Wanton Mee 雲吞麵 (Prefers Ch'a-Hsiu 叉燒)
  4. Sheng Mee 生麵 (Popular in my Mom's Hometown; rare in Kuala Lumpur)
  5. Dim Sum 點心:
    • Ch'a-Hsiu Bao (叉燒包)
    • Nim-yong Bao (???)
    • Ch'in-tui (煎堆?)

Level 18
I've only tried Malaysian Chinese food by the way, but I hope that I can get to enjoy some delicious food of Taiwan. They are generally okay, but I don't like seafood very much.

List of Malaysian Chinese food I've tried:
  1. Kwong-foo chao 廣府炒 (Prefers to Have No Prawns)
  2. Hainanese Chicken Rice 海南雞飯 (Prefers Roasted Chicken Breast 燒雞胸)
  3. Wanton Mee 雲吞麵 (Prefers Ch'a-Hsiu 叉燒)
  4. Sheng Mee 生麵 (Popular in my Mom's Hometown; rare in Kuala Lumpur)
  5. Dim Sum 點心:
    • Ch'a-Hsiu Bao (叉燒包)
    • Nim-yong Bao (???)
    • Ch'in-tui (煎堆?)

U are cantonese descent right ?

I've tried bits of shanghainese, sichuan, and cantonese food. They're all good. Broadly generalised and based of my personal experience, shanghai food is more 'simple' (I.e. nothing elaborate or showy like peking duck), sichuan is often spicy, and cantonese love their deep fried stuff and yumcha.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: San

Roland

R

Roland

Then you get traditional Chinese food which includes...
Dogs, cats, snakes, lizards, crickets, pangolins, bats, rats, spiders, fetuses of various animals (rat and bird are common), sharks...

Why am I even bothering with a list, they cook and eat just about everything living they can get their hands on. The "pressed dog" images which make rounds on the internet from time to time are disgusting not because of the dogs being pressed, but rather that they are only fussing about the dogs being pressed and not all the reptiles and mammals which suffer similar fates. Many such animals are butchered or processed while still alive, which likely causes them unimaginable pain in that short time before they are truly dead.

I totally agree on this post, Since china is heavily populated they also consume endangered animals too. Oh my.

Level 22
I've tried bits of shanghainese, sichuan, and cantonese food. They're all good. Broadly generalised and based of my personal experience, shanghai food is more 'simple' (I.e. nothing elaborate or showy like peking duck), sichuan is often spicy, and cantonese love their deep fried stuff and yumcha.

Good. I hope to try shanghainese food sometime.

And yep, you're right about Cantonese.

Dogs, cats, snakes, lizards, crickets, pangolins, bats, rats, spiders, fetuses of various animals (rat and bird are common), sharks...

Why am I even bothering with a list, they cook and eat just about everything living they can get their hands on. The "pressed dog" images which make rounds on the internet from time to time are disgusting not because of the dogs being pressed, but rather that they are only fussing about the dogs being pressed and not all the reptiles and mammals which suffer similar fates. Many such animals are butchered or processed while still alive, which likely causes them unimaginable pain in that short time before they are truly dead.

No, no, no...
You're totally mistaken. Those are the food for brainwashed commie
-bandit
s (共匪).

Traditional and legitimate Chinese food is quite nice, and you have Hainanese Chicken Rice, Wanton Mee, Kwangfu-chau, just to name a few......

If you want to learn about legitimate Chinese food, go to Taiwan Province and have a try at the foods.

I totally agree on this post, Since china is heavily populated they also consume endangered animals too. Oh my.

Sigh.

Why people always have prejudices with Chinese people?
Aad what China are you talking about? The Republic of China or the "People's Republic of China"?

Level 18

The chinese killed unique animals species[野味] quickly . They don't want to eat adrenaline which koreans like to eat. Koreans beat dogs like hell.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I was flatmates with a chinese girl once. She cooked this awesome chicken dish where you marinated the chicken in cornstarch, soy sauce and rice wine. The sauce included Sichuan pepper and hoisin sauce. You then stir fry this in peanut oil with dried chilis and, in steps, you add scallion whites, garlic, and ginger and stuff. Anyone have any ideas what it's called?

By the way, the process of cooking animals while alive, making them suffer, is really shocking, and that is the kind of information we usually get about eastern Asia (but you guys are saying it is more of a Korean kind of thing? Interesting)
We do the same to shellfish.

Granted it's because if we kill them before, the naturally present bacteria in their flesh multiplies rapidly and releases toxins that increase the chance of food poisoning.

But it's still a bit heavy metal.

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
People said:
RING RING RING. TANGENT CHECK. TANGENT CHECK.

We've all killed each other over a little seafood and spices here and there – lord knows I have, and I like getting unreasonably upset in food threads as much as the next guy.

But can we maybe all agree that there was no hidden political agenda here, and just calmly talk dumplings?

If we can't, I'll split this to an MT thread, and you can put me down in the team that thinks it's clear as day that CPC is an alien coverup group put in place to fire a stream of subplanetary particles through radio waves that influence us neurally to eat badly prepared pufferfish.

EDIT.

Alright. Split all posts on the topic of animal cruelty to here. http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...chinese-food-translate-animal-cruelty-274356/

No more in this thread please.

Commence discussion of what tortured animals you like best in a soup.

Last edited:

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 63
I do not understand what necessitated a split of the topic, especially one which goes into "animal cruelty" which was not even the point of the posts I made. This topic was about Chinese food and I was stating facts about what some Chinese people eat. Maybe Chinese food has some hidden modern meaning which I am not aware of, but I could swear it meant something like "type of food which Chinese people eat", Since Chinese people do eat Shark-Fin soup and Pangoline, then surely raising that in this topic is on topic?

If anything the topic should have split into something about Chinese politics, since for some reason people started arguing about the Republic of China and People's Republic of China, which had nothing to do with the points I raised.

So what do people consider as Chinese food? Is it a modern take on traditional recipes? Or perhaps a specific sort of Asian cooking? Or is it like an EU thing where it has to be made/packaged in China?

fladdermasken

Off-Topic Moderator
Level 39
I do not understand what necessitated a split of the topic, especially one which goes into "animal cruelty" which was not even the point of the posts I made. This topic was about Chinese food and I was stating facts about what some Chinese people eat. Maybe Chinese food has some hidden modern meaning which I am not aware of, but I could swear it meant something like "type of food which Chinese people eat", Since Chinese people do eat Shark-Fin soup and Pangoline, then surely raising that in this topic is on topic?

If anything the topic should have split into something about Chinese politics, since for some reason people started arguing about the Republic of China and People's Republic of China, which had nothing to do with the points I raised.
It's pretty obvious that the thread's modus operandi is not about killing dogs.

Every topic doesn't need a controverisal political discussion, DSG. You know as well as I do it's going to derail hopelessly and drown out any semblance of the root question of the thread.

Which is exactly why we have Medivh's Tower to split tangents like these to. And what's the harm in that? It's not like I'm telling you not to discuss it.

End of this discussion in this thread. I switched out the title of the MT thread to Chinese Food Politics. If you have more complaints, post them in a VM/PM to me, or in Admin Contact. Not in this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.