• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Characters

Which option would you choose? See the first post for information on each option.

• Option I

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Option II

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • Option III

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Option IV

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • I have my own option, which I will post now.

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 17
Greetings,

This poll is for the Shadows of Everwood ORPG, and even if you are not a follower or just a fan of any ORPG, we'd appreciate your feedback. Right now, we're contemplating a phase of our development known as 'Post Demo', which is essentially after the demo. We want to restructure the classes, but we want to know how you would prefer to play as a character in SoEORPG.

"Skills determine the class."

This pretty much eliminates any core class structure and focuses purely on customization. Two core features of this option are:
  • an alignment system
  • a titles system

You acquire a title without losing any of you have previously acquired, some will be of a higher ranking, some of low ranking. Despite having many titles he/she could only use one at a time. This would be the way the character would appear to others. To supplement this system of titles should coexist an alignment system, that is what determines the goodness or badness of your character to others. Thus the titles also influence the alignment while they were being used (e.g., if I introduce myself as a murderer, my image is associated with a bad guy, unlike the image of a priest who would be a good guy). However, even a priest can be an antagonist. Skills influence alignments and vice versa, for example a damaging skill may deal more damage if you were bad or heal an if you were good. Each time skills are activated like this, you continue to advance in that alignment. Titles are influenced by the skills you have, but does not influence the skills. Titles can influence your alignment. Doing certain things or learning different skills will acquire you new titles.

"Classes are the foundations of your character, yet you are open to many options."

This option takes classes and brings them to the core of your character, the foundation or spine, while you as a player expand on it however way you like.

Example
You choose a necromantic class as your core. Due to this, you gain an additional bonus to all damage you deal with a weapon if that weapon is a polearm, as well as a few innate active abilities such as:

Contagion
All Curses on a target become contagious, and if that target goes near another foe, inflicts that target with the same Curses but with a reset duration.

This option see's the creation of two skill trees - Weapons and Magic. Weapons contains all kinds of physical abilities, some specific to a weapon, others not. Magic contains a plethora of spells and incantations for you to use and master.

"Unique as an individual class, with the exception of a dual-class system."

This option focuses purely on individual classes with their own traits, abilities, armor, etc. Each class can wield four primary weapons (Bow, Sword, Mace, Axe, Staff, Polearm, Dagger and Wand) and one secondary weapon (Shield, Focus, Knife, Sword, Axe and Mace). Due to this, each class has a set of weapon abilities from each weapon type they can wield that extends into a dual class system. Taking on a second class allows players to expand into another classes weapon abilities and use them in addition to their own weapon abilities and their own profession abilities (skills unique to that class).

Example
My character is now a Rank 10 Warrior. I determine that I wish to become a tank, and note that the Assassin class has some very handy skills that can a) gain threat extremely quickly and b) further expand my options with a sword. So I dual with that class and am able to select from a range of Assassin abilities. I think ahead and build my character the way I wish using a combination of Assassin weapon abilities, my own weapon abilities and my profession abilities.

"Professions are exclusive and heavy."

This option is essentially the creation of immensely detailed classes with extensive lore, unique mechanics, weapons, abilities, armor, etc. Each class is very much exclusive to a faction so that you shed shed the traditional classes of this genre such as:

The assassin is a stealthy heroine that relies on the shadows to eliminate her enemies.

... to:

The Imperial Avenger is the epitome of imperial military and technological advancement. Their origins remain secret, however it is well understood that the avengers serve all castes of wronged people and extract those that have wronged them from existence with little hesitation. These hawk-eyed masters of the innovation of the empire are well-versed in the way of the sword, but their finesse with dual pistols, dual crossbows or even rifles makes them a unique brand of warrior. Many underestimate the power of the avengers, yet it is those who find themselves in a storm of fire, light and bullets.

If you all could vote on this poll, we'd really appreciate it. Or if you have any queries or suggestions, please do not hesitate to post!

Level 27
I'd go for a mix os as many of them as possible, pulling out minor functions and focusing on the big ones.
The only thing i would NOT go with is the dual class system.

-Lore around player charecters and player history is ALLWAYS good.
-Titles are, as i've said before, a great motivator.
-Focusing completely on customization and having no basic fundaments can be a big problem.
Try to avoid that.

So, if i were you, i'd focus on having Basic Classes that are very customizable, titles or another system to help players show off their bling and have something apart from just levelling to strive for, a simple alignment system AND lore around each charecter.

Level 15
Erm, didn't you make a same thread like several days ago? Or my memory betrays me? (which it might)

Level 5
Honestly, if you have TOO much customization you face a lot of problems with "I wish I hadn't put so many points in Energy, cuz everybody is onehitting me *cry cry*" which I did to a lesser degree with Diablo2, until Akara started reteching skill points. Too little customization and your RPG is very boring and cookiecutter. A good balance would probably be with Option 2 with a bit of learning a few extra abilities just to fill a role, like Option 3 in that regard. The allignment system seems like more work thatn it's work in my opinion, but if gets a lot of support and seems to work well in whatever the next demo version is, go for it!

Level 17
Thank you all for voting! ^.^

We will be discussing professions and will use these polls (yes, I say polls), as a reference for what you as the public want from professions.

Level 5
Can you explain option IV a little more please?

I believe option 4 is saying that your hero is stuck with one set of ablities, very strict rules regarding items it can use, and having the ability to only do 1 or 2 roles in a group. I'm guessing that would be really close to the blizzard hero system, with only 4 skills and being unable to bend to fill another role missing with your online group.

Status
Not open for further replies.