• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[JASS] Changing what somebody types into something else...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
I would like to censor a few words, and I wasn't sure if this could be done in GUI (I am not really good with JASS). If this can only be done in JASS, that will probably work too. I have tried PMing a person who is good with GUI and JASS, but he hasn't replied yet, so that is why I am asking here. You will, of course, get credit in the map for telling me how to do this :) . Sorry if I haven't really explained it well, but thanks in advance.

Level 6
hmm okay so you want some kind of badword filter....

...Hmm i thinks it is a JASS thingy if there is a way. In GUI this is a hard bunch of work, and it wouldnt be very Multiinstanabel (usable for Multiplayermaps).

Level 36
You could always do it so that when they type it in they are banned or given a warning before they are banned? See like Pokemaul for an example... in WH40K you get your name changed to something rediculous for a set amount of time... which usually just provokes everyone to swear just so they can have their name changed rather then humiliate them as it should....

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
It is IMPOSSIABLE to change what people say ingame or pm to external players unless you do a core mod of the software (illegal breach of terms of use).
You can only detect and have actions that harm them ingame but you can not stop the message being displayed to others.

Level 18
I totaly aggree with Super Good, this is impossipble. You cannot change the chat messages. You can only hide them, but that way, none of them will be displayed!

This works as well though. In Xanthius the Riddler it hides what you say and then redoes it on the screen in game text. I don't know why he does this but it's interesting.

Level 3
Why do people think things you can do in JASS may not be GUI-able? JASS is just pure coding, whereas GUI is translated coding (thus, GRAPHICAL user INTERFACE, I prefer Guided User Interface :p).

It would just take heaps longer with GUI :D

Anyway best way to censor is to boot when someone swears... :)

Level 11
Why do people think things you can do in JASS may not be GUI-able? JASS is just pure coding, whereas GUI is translated coding (thus, GRAPHICAL user INTERFACE, I prefer Guided User Interface :p).

Yeah, i see you don't know JASS... Learn it, and then think it over again!

Level 2
kixer, your's wont work for multi-player :p for single-player works like a charm, but when i imported it into my map, and went multi-player, it wouldn't work, it showed both chat messages? =/

Level 9
you have to import a file to disable chat :| it is the read me? i think its called war3mapskin.txt of sumthing like that...

Level 9
LoL :) its called a read me for a reason :p

EDIT:
kixer, your's wont work for multi-player :p for single-player works like a charm, but when i imported it into my map, and went multi-player, it wouldn't work, it showed both chat messages? =/

You used this in your map? :) yay Im happy now

Last edited:
Level 2
lol, yeah, i actually neveer tried this (in the 5 yrs of map making of done, lol) and it sounded interesting, and i kinda like it :p (i am not to familier with jass, but know quite a bit, im best with GUI, as i know EVERY function of GUI lol)

Level 9
LOL well im fairly new to JASS...
I dont know much but i cant go back to GUI now that i know JASS...
Its just so frustrating and limited!~! Seriously make the switch... JASS is King!

Most of that is true, though it isn't entirely true. Though GUI is graphical user interface, it does not have all of the options that JASS can configure unless you use Custom Scripts, but which is still JASS. JASS has many features, I think if you open up the WE texts or triggers from the MPQ, it will show tons of triggers, which some, don't appear in GUI. Most of them do though, and you may edit the GUI by editing the Trigger text and the strings. If you don't believe me, just learn JASS and be amazed. JASS can allow MUI which is hard to perform in GUI, and it can follow the JESP standard. One huge factor in JASS is that you can perform locals real easily, instead of using simple globals. :emote_grin:

P.S. Sometimes, GUI takes less time than JASS and has less work, especially when working with if/then/elses.

Last edited:
Level 40
Ps. If-then-elses are far easier in JASS, actually ><

In GUI, what do I do?

-Look through a drop down menu of a million things for the "If/Then/Else multiple conditions"
-Look through another huge drop down menu for the correct condition, using Sub-Sub-Sub drop down menus to get it right
-Take 10 minutes working out how to get something under the if-statement and not in it.
-Build giant unreadable if-statement trees.

Whereas, in JASS, I type

if (condition) then
//if you want more ifs in an 'else', put 'elseif (condition) then'
//if you want an else, put 'else' here
endif

Much faster, yes? (where (condition) is some boolean)

Also --

-Can have a JESP standard? JESP is a JASS coding style, not some sort of object ><

-"Custom Script" tags can still not accomplish everything that JASS can do. Example: try making your condition change a unit's life while the condition is running, or maybe try making a realllllyyyyy looooooooooooonnnnnnng Custom Script tag

- @PurplePoot: If you were talking to me, I know that JESP is a standard. Please read the actual post before replying:
Originally Posted by Me
...JESP Standard
If you know proper grammar, JESP would be considered as the standard so I would have phrased it wrong. Since I added standard, it is referring to a noun not the coding style. Think of it this way:
Bad:
I didn't reach standard on my test...
Good:
I didn't reach the standard on my test...
Notice how "the" refers to the standard, which itself is a noun. :emote_grin:

About the custom scripts, it is true, I didn't know that, thanx...

About the If/Then/Elses, I was referring to if you are a n00b to JASS. Experience with GUI could make it possibly easier, but if you know both, JASS would be more efficient and probably more easier. Besides, you are probably referring to a n00b of a n00b, which wouldn't even know JASS exists. GUI, though I dislike it, can actually be quicker if you have knowledge of it, and it has presets so if they meet your requirements you leave it that way. Also, making trees of if/then/elses can be achieved through c'n'p, if you are referring to the same thing as last time.

Yes, JASS is easier, but I was mainly referring to the GUIers. :emote_grin:

Please don't take this harshly or as if you are getting served, because I just think I have a right to defend what I say, and almost completely contridict yours. :emote_laugh:

Of course you have a right to defend what you say.

I'm just saying you should probably have said "JASS can follow the JESP standard" as opposed to "JASS can have the JESP standard"

Also, as to GUI being faster than JASS, I have to disagree, though I guess it's really just one's opinion.

- Yea...
- Ok, I'll change that if i can...
- Yup.
:emote_grin:

Status
Not open for further replies.