• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Change Glow of Phoenix to Black

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 5
Hey guys,

I need a purple-black phoenix for my map so i'm currently editing blizzards phoenix.mdx. Therefore i'm using the War3 Model Editor.

The original phoenix has a red glow that covers the whole body which is generated by a geoset animation. As soon as i turn the colour to black or sth. dark the glow isn't visible anymore.

It's the same with the particle emitters. I cant turn them black...

I have ZERO plan of what i'm doing here (this is my first try, never did any modeling before). If you know any tutorials that cover my problem that would be helpful as well.

You have to change the emitter's filter mode/the material blend mode. If it is an effect, it is probably set to additive right now. As RGB, black is (0, 0, 0), so additive is not a good option for a black-colored effect.

Here is a quick explanation of the filter-modes:
Rao Dao Zao said:
Transparent only has a setting of 0 or 1 (or about 0.99 or something, but it's negligible); basically, it won't do any nice fading work in-between -- things are there or not.
Blend is the same, except it goes all the way in-between (it sometimes has Z-order issues, but these shouldn't matter with particles).
Additive is exactly what it says on the tin -- it adds the pixel colours together. Black is, of course, 0, 0, 0, so 0 plus anything is anything, making black invisible. All other colours go closer to white, where things become 'fully' opaque.
Add Alpha is like additive, but it takes account of the alpha channel in the normal manner too (not sure about this one, though, never used it).
Modulate isn't the opposite of additive -- but as far as I know, it is similar. It's a multiplication rather than addition. Since all colours are stored between 0 and 1 rather than 0 and 255, a multiplication will take colours closer to 0 -- black.
source: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/277504-post6.html

Level 5
Just tried that. Problem is that i get black squares. i dont want the areas, that were transparent in the texture file, to turn black as well :(
Here are two pictures that show you what happens when using blend or additive as filter mode.

Attachments

• Phoenix emitter blend.jpg
    Phoenix emitter blend.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 170
  • Phoenix emitter additive.jpg
    Phoenix emitter additive.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 142
Level 5
I messed it up myself. The texture i used was a white glow with black background instead of transparent background.
Changed that but now i have another problem. I dont really know how to describe is, just look at the pictures below. I added a few pictures of the texture, that is used to generate the glow around the phoenix as well.

The phoenix is displayed by War3 Model Editor
The textures are displayed in BLP Lab. The left option says "show/hide alpha channel", the right one "show/hide transparency".
Originally i extracted the texture yellow_glow3.blp, converted to tga and then removed the color with gimp. Thats how i got the non transparent texture.
Afterwards i turned black to transparency with gimp and got the messed up one.
Dont really know what happened to it.

@PurgeandFire: I can turn the yellow circles (or whatever this is) black if i want. Just left them yellow to make it easier to see what happens.

@NhazUl: I tried the Shadow.blp and used it instead of the yellow_glow3.blp i mentioned above. It doesnt look as bad as the messy phoenix with transparent texture but the single textures are clearly visible as single cicrles.

BTW: If you carefully look at the back of the "phoenix with non transparent texture" you can see little black dots and the purple is way darker as it would be without blend. Thats what i was looking for originally. You already helped me out there a lot :D

Attachments

• Messy phoenix with transparent texture.jpg
    Messy phoenix with transparent texture.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 191
  • Phoenix with non transparent texture.jpg
    Phoenix with non transparent texture.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 153
  • Transparent texture (messy).jpg
    Transparent texture (messy).jpg
    45 KB · Views: 135
  • Non transpatent texture.jpg
    Non transpatent texture.jpg