• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Black Particle Emitters???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Hey guys,

Can someone give me some quick tips on how to add black particle emitters to a model?

Basically, I have a circular model that I want to add a simple firey glow to, a BLACK firey glow mind you!

It seems magos sees black as another way to make something invisible, but, hypothetically speaking, if somebody, for whatever reason, wanted to make a black particle emitters (nothing against magos or the 'color' invisible) how the heck do you do it??

Do you have to use a special texture?

Maybe magos has a special toggle for which color is invis?

Any help would be great

thanks!

Level 18
Set the particle filter mode to Blend and use a texture with an alpha channel. Such textures, appropriate for particle emitters, are: Dust5a.blp, Clouds8x8Mod.blp (excellent for a black flame or smoke), GenericGlowX_Mod2.blp (black glow). Enjoy. ;)

Change the material's filter mode to something other than transparent.

Go to Windows -> Material Manager. Double click the material that has your particle's texture or w/e, and then change the "Filter Mode". I believe you can use modulate. It might not display correctly in Magos, but you should try to check it in the editor too.

You can also check out some of the black sfx in our models section (just search "black" or something). Then you can see how some of them got it working. I think Jetfanginferno has a decent amount of purely-black sfx, so just check the filter modes on those.

EDIT: Oops, I was too slow.

Level 4
Ok sweet,

Thanks a lot both of you!

It helped a ton.

-- EDIT --

I have a question about adding an alpha channel to a texture. I tried the add opaque alpha channel spec using BLP Lab, but it didn't work.

Any tips for how to make this (attached) texture have an alpha channel?

Attachments

• Energy1.blp
    6.2 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.