• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

[General] Certain Effects do not display in game anymore (suddenly)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 14
Hey guys,

I am just wondering, because certain effects did not display on my wc3 1.26 on my laptop anymore one by one, and I did not change anything.
Graphic details are on their maximal settings and I really did not change anything.
Even when I do this:

• eff
    • Events
      • Player - Player 1 (Red) types a chat message containing eff as Exact Match
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • Effect - Create a special effect at (Position of hero) using Abilities\Spells\Human\ThunderClap\ThunderClapCaster.mdl
      • Spiel - Display to (All players) the text: a
it does not work.

I opened a new map and did the same, the effect wont display. Can you maybe open that attached map and check, if a thunderclap plays at the footman, when typing in "eff"?

would be pretty neat, because I need to find out, whether windows fucked up my editor somehow ...

The thunderclap displays, when playing a melee game, by using the mountain king skill.

Can someone maybe tell, whats wrong??? I really do not get it ...

best regards!

Attachments

• Fire and Ice System Test.w3x
    121.4 KB · Views: 36
Level 12
My friend constantly has this problem. I've only seen it happen on two occasions. It's very funny since I use special effects often to mark danger and you cannot see the warnings if this bug is happening. Have fun dodging giant spikes when you don't know when/where they're coming!

So far, I've found restarting WC3 to be insufficient for solving the bug. I haven't tried a full restart of my machine, though.

Level 14
fully restarting the machine does not work and it gets worse from time to time. It does not depend, if there is custom or ingame sfx, some simply do not show. However, the respective ingame sfx do work in melee games.

This is stupid shit. :/

Thanks for comments, guys! I hope, someone might post a solution to this. The good thing is, it is clearly related to the machine and seems to be unable to be transmitted by the map itself (at least ...)

My hot guess would be some windows 8 "security" patch or "performance" patch ...

Edit: I will try to delete temp files, run antivir and check for unnecessary, recent win8 patches ..

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Is your laptop using an Intel integrated GPU? If so then that's almost certainly the problem... Intel GPUs are notorious for buggy, non conformant behaviour. Especially since WC3 uses the heavily deprecated fixed functional pipeline of D3D7 one can probably expect such nonsense.

Reinstall your graphic drivers. If your machine is OEM then try using the latest driver from OEM instead of from the GPU vendor as some times the GPU vendor driver is not compatible with OEM hardware. Make sure texture quality is set to maximum in the GPU driver, lower texture qualities might force dropping of certain mipmap levels making things appear invisible. Make sure your laptop is set to performance mode when playing WC3 as power saving might force certain graphics to be dropped or display incorrectly. As a last resort try running in OpenGL mode (warning text will appear slightly buggy) as it uses a different API so has different conformance.

Level 14
thank you for that comment. Meanwhile, there may have been some hotfix for that putative driver, that caused problems or something else, because sfx started to come back ... I think, Dr Super Goods post may have been the solution.
so, this is kind of solved.
thanks

Level 8
All of the sudden I have the same issue... game worked fine for months since I bought my new pc. The graphic card is not onboard its a separate nvidia card... I reinstalled drivers but the problem persist. Any other suggestions?

Level 21
I have the same problem occasionally. It might be related to windows 8.1 and/or having two GPUs(one of them is the intel thing) and/or driver issues.
Usually restarting my laptop fixes it. I have tried messing around with WC3 settings and it appears to have no effect.
The effects only fail to show if they are on the ground and only specific effects. Every time it bugs out it's the same effects that don't work.

Level 8
Unfortunately I use a lot of ground effects :/

I tried restarting and didnt work. I installed nvidia latest drivers, i used geforce experience to optimize settings to wc3, i set performance to high... nothing works... and wierdest part is that the game worked fine for months!

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
i used geforce experience to optimize settings to wc3
I would recommend against optimizing settings with that tool. Its optimize settings usually causes more problems that it ever will fix.

If you are using an OEM system make sure to only use the OEM drivers as OEM cards are often very different from generic cards of similar name. For example a DELL laptop or desktop might use an OEM NVidia card which will only work properly with the poorly maintained drivers from DELL and have all kinds of errors with the official generic NVidia drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.