• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • 🏆 Hive's 6th HD Modeling Contest: Mechanical is now open! Design and model a mechanical creature, mechanized animal, a futuristic robotic being, or anything else your imagination can tinker with! 📅 Submissions close on June 30, 2024. Don't miss this opportunity to let your creativity shine! Enter now and show us your mechanical masterpiece! 🔗 Click here to enter!

Certain colors act weird on my screen/computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 25
So well. I just noticed that my computer/screen is not displaying certain colors correctly.

If you check my latest deviation Deviantart ( I assure you this is not an attempt to get views or something) you will see, if you look around the hair, that the shading is VERY gray. On my computer those shades are barely visible, or just a tint of the skincolor she has. I just noticed this when I saw the picture from another computer, some other things on my computer have also been displayed weird. (My minimap inside Dota 2 for example, the colors blend weird there as well, compared to other computers). My hardware and software are fairly updated, does anyone have an idea of what is causing this or how to solve it?
Kind of unable to describe it any better than this.
Really need help with this, it is ruining my color practices as well as my work.

Thanks.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Does this problem persist when using a different display? What sort of display are you using in the first place?

Especially poor LCD/TFT/LED displays are prone to colour half-life. Of course you can correct them to a degree via adjusting the colour channel brightness, contrast and brightness but contrast will degrade over time.

I say it is most likely your display and is probably correctable by adjusting the various colour, brightness and contrast settings on it. However be aware that the image might never be as good as it once was.

Level 25
I am only currently able to try it out with another screen of the exact same type. It works rather well with it, and I could trade my current screen for that one. I guess that would be stupid though, since the same type of screen will probably stop work properly some day as well.

Used the "reset" function for colors and contrast etc. It looks better now, still far from perfect unfortunately, guess I will have to buy a new screen.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Try manually adjusting the settings. The factory defaults are designed for when the display was new and might not be good now since it has aged a bit. Try increasing brightness and contrast as well as manually adjusting colour channels if you notice the colours are skew. Increased brightness and contrast will help combat the aging of the display while re-adjusting the colours might compensate for poorly designed displays where the colour elements age at different rates.

Also running some kind of display stress test (often used to remove LCD burn-in) for a few hours might improve the visual performance a tad.

Level 25
By manually adjusting it I barely managed to get it any better than before. A little improvement, still not enough though.

Do you happen to have any tip of what stress test to use? By searching a bit I see that some tests could harm parts of your computer. (I am not very experienced with these kind of things)

Status
Not open for further replies.