• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Carry particles over to new animation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 26
Hi,
My type2 particle emitter starts spawning particles in Stand sequence and should stop doing so in Death sequence. This is okay but when I change the animation, all remaining particles get deleted. I want it the way that left particles of the previous animation complete their life cycle normally, so it looks like it fades out rather than being cut off.

Any idea? Thanks in advance.

Level 8
You're probably using visibility right now, so it looks like that:
Code:
	Visibility 2 {
		DontInterp,
		0: 1,
		1333: 0,
	}
(death starting at 1333, other anim starting at 0)

Use the emission rate instead, i.e. make visibility a static 1 and make emission rate something like

Code:
	EmissionRate 2 {
		DontInterp,
		0: 100,
		1333: 0,
	}
Note that if an animation would start at, say, 500 you'd have to add "500: 100,", otherwise it won't work at all.

Last edited:
Level 26
This is what I did. Tried out setting visibility to 0 on Death, emission rate and moving the pivot point away. However, the previous particle still get erased.

...is what I wanted to write. But it works now, when I deleted another Birth animation. Somehow, sequences are just messed up. I implemented an identifier to be able to clearly see which animation is currently being played. Each sequence has a graphic that is shown at its starting time and hidden at the starting times of the other animations. Ridiculously, it does it right in Magos but ingame displays me up to all three animations simultaneously. I would expect when any animation is decided to play, the timer is set to its start value and runs to its end value. If the animation is looping, the timer will reset back to start after end. What happens if it does not loop? Does the timer continue running and potentially hits some other animation when it enters its area?

Am I at least right that when you create a special effect, the Birth animation is played first, afterwards Stand (which is usually looped) and immediately jumps to Death on destruction?

Even if I put only zeros in visibility for every animation's start and end value, the graphic gets falsely displayed. What madness is this? Does the timer keep running to infinity after Birth (has the highest area) and sets everything to some default value?

Level 26
As I said, what I had in mind works. And when I bring the animations in the right order, the time events are okay as well. I just do not fully grasp the concepts how the sequence timer runs, when which animations are played to know which events it stumbles over.

But from my queuing up animations properly, I guess I was kind of right that non-loopings flow over/reset some values in the end or even bug there.

Status
Not open for further replies.