• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Built in Map Protection?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 8
If you can open it & look, then that makes it easier for hackers; If they cannot open the map at all, then its much harder for hackers to go into the code and such; if they can open it, then its much easier to change some code. If they included such a feature, then someone would just make a map protection feature anyways, making this usless.

Level 13
I don't know about you guys, but riggers and map openers are the cancer that is killing Bnet, often going hand in hand or working alongside maps like DotA which have been opened and edited to obscene levels.

I can asnwer this questions with: NO, Blizzard will NEVER have this kind of feature!
Blizzard does not support any kind of map-protection!

So, built-in-map-protection = Never in our entire lifes

BUT, they might add a password protection for EDITING the map
And at the same time, people can look at triggers, object editor and so on,
BUT not be able to do anything more then look.

That would actually be a good idea, I dont mind if people LOOK at my triggers and settings..
I just dont want them to CHANGE and make false versions! =/

Level 19
I can asnwer this questions with: NO, Blizzard will NEVER have this kind of feature!
Blizzard does not support any kind of map-protection!

So, built-in-map-protection = Never in our entire lifes

BUT, they might add a password protection for EDITING the map
And at the same time, people can look at triggers, object editor and so on,
BUT not be able to do anything more then look.

That would actually be a good idea, I dont mind if people LOOK at my triggers and settings..
I just dont want them to CHANGE and make false versions! =/

Actally they did state that they were going to support Map Protection but it'll probably get broke in the upcomming months of release.

Level 21

Will the new map editor support locking maps? People hate losing credit for a map.

[Dustin Browder] Yes, we are planning to support this feature. We hope that this feature will give the modding community more incentive to create their own original maps.

Lol, owned.

Level 6
While map protection can never be 100% protected from crackers, they could do something so that "official-non-rigged" maps are the only ones played(or the rigged ones are less played)

For example, since they said they were doing huge improvements to battle.net for starcraft 2, they could have some sort of map hosting place battle.net, for players to DL and get official maps.

When a player uploads a map to the server, that map is tied to the battle.net account that uploads it, meaning that the map will always show the author and show that it's the official version for "that author".

That means if anyone rigs a map and the rigger hosts the rigged map as a "new version", people could always check the author of the official map(on battle.net) and see which is the official non-rigged version.

The author can update the map and write in some details, similar to what hiveworkshop.com allows us to do with uploading maps.

When a map is uploaded by an author, it'll also give a unique 10-15 randomized digit/word code back and display it on the map, this is the unique identification for the map, the code will never ever change once it's given to the map. And the code will be unique to that map, and will never be used for another map.

The 10-15 digit/word code is used so that players can upload maps of the same name.

For example, lets say someone uploads a map named "Werewolf" on the battle.net server. Say, you(or someone else) happen to have a map named "Werewolf" too, and you wanted to upload it onto battle.net, well, you could because each map has a unique 10-15 digit/word code that helps identify maps of the same name.

The 10-15 digit/word code would also be used to prevent people from "monopolizing" map names also.

Anyway if Blizzard does something like that, it could raise user-awareness of rigged map versions because people can check which maps are the official versions very easily. It also prevent people who "steal" maps and take credit for map they never made(Original Footmen Frenzy for example).

Last edited:
Level 6
Tho having a place to store so many maps and allow users to download them 24/7 is very expensive and might lead to pay-to-pay which wouldn't happen so I think this whole idea is not an option

I guess they could put some download/uploading restrictions on players.

For example:

1. Players need to have an account that is 14 days or older to be able to upload/download maps. The account also must have at least 24 hours of logged in time.

2. Players can download a maximum of one map per 5 minutes.

3. Players can upload a map a maximum of one map per hour.

4. Players may have to join a "waiting line" to download/upload maps depending on the amount of players/activity going on at the time.

5. Players also have to enter a "CAPTCHA"(or some other similar thing like that) to confirm they are not bots downloading/uploading map.

They could also add a couple more "banner ads" on the map downloading/uploading section of battle.net to help pay for bandwidth costs.

They could a system similar to sites like rapidshare, megaupload, etc.

Sure it'd be weird to have a system like that on battle.net but since they said major additions are coming to battle.net, and a place to upload maps and "link them to a player's account" would make "legit maps" more accessible and reduce the amount of potential map stealing and raise user-awareness of map rigged maps.

What an upload/download map section for battle.net might help:

1. Reduce potential for map stealing - Obviously, if a person uploads a certain map first, they get the credit, they get acknowledged as the map maker. With an easy-to-access upload/download map section on battle.net, this makes things easy.

2. Raise user awareness of map rigging - Lets take DotA as an example(since everyone knows about DotA). Because DotA has a website which always have the "newest official" versions for the map, people who try to host rigged versions of DotA will have a low chance of getting players to play that rigged version.

Players know that the newest official version is always at that site, and if a "new" version appears anywhere else besides the official site, players know that it's probably a rigged version.

Lets take maps not as popular as DotA but gets hosted somewhat often but not everyone knows the official site of the map: Enfos, Gem TD, etc.
These are examples of maps that are played somewhat often but not many people know the official site of those maps.
That means people can get away with hosting rigged versions of Enfos or Gem TD(for example) because not many players know the official site for those maps or know which versions are official and which versions are not official.

With a map upload/download section on battle.net, map makers can upload their maps so that players can be able to easily find the official map and author they are looking for.

Anyway, if Blizzard does something like that, I think it'd help with the "map rigging" and "credit stealing" problem, since not everyone knows the official websites of maps and not everyone knows to upload their map to sites(hiveworkshop.com for example) before hosting their map on battle.net(to prevent credit stealing, also to have a place to upload official versions.

Last edited:
Level 25
''Let's go play dota!''
No I can't!
''Why not?''
I've played a TD and now I need to wait 5 minutes!

Seriously, there shouldn't be a limit on how many maps a person can download... It's not like the one who is de terminated to open ONE map needs 10 different maps to do it.

About the bot thing too, it's PLAYERS who edits maps. Not bots, what does bots have to do with it? Sure, they could drain network, but that's it.

Level 6
''Let's go play dota!''
No I can't!
''Why not?''
I've played a TD and now I need to wait 5 minutes!

Seriously, there shouldn't be a limit on how many maps a person can download... It's not like the one who is de terminated to open ONE map needs 10 different maps to do it.

About the bot thing too, it's PLAYERS who edits maps. Not bots, what does bots have to do with it? Sure, they could drain network, but that's it.

1. I meant there would be a time limit on downloading from the Battle.net server. Players who host map and lets players download is not the same as the battle.net server which has the download.

Since if blizzard has to the host map, they have to put a limit on downloading if they download directly from the battle.net server.

Players, well, they're hosting the map, no limit needed.

Again, the idea is, Blizzard could have some sort of "Map Download/Upload section" where battle.net hosts the map(Similar to THW's map section). Players can download/upload maps from the system. Due to the fact Blizzard is hosting the maps themselves and not the players, there will be a limits on downloading/uploading to save bandwidth.

If they don't allow something to try to prevent bots, possibility of griefers will have bots downloading from the battle.net server and take up "downloading slots" so regular players will have a long time downloading from the server.

Last edited:
Level 16
Don't be silly newuser, with such policy battlenet wouldn't be interesting. And as I said the purpose of battlenet is finding games, not creating dedicated servers by blizzard. If they would do that, whole map idea thing could be possible, but as I said, the game would have to be pay-to-play game since having a server like that online is expensive.

Level 25
If they don't allow something to try to prevent bots, possibility of griefers will have bots downloading from the battle.net server and take up "downloading slots" so regular players will have a long time downloading from the server.

I'm sorry if I flame but.. Have you ever seen a bot who joins a game ONLY to take up space? That gotta be one of the nerdier things if people do that :p

''Hmm.. Should I make a virus and ruin peoples computers OR should I make a lot of bots that will slow down my internet and others download time of starcraft maps! KEK KEK KEK.

Seriously, they've got to have a hell lot of bots if they are going to slow it down...

Level 6
Personally as a starting map maker if find that looking at other peoples triggers is the easiest way to learn but aside from that I see allot of people asking blizzard to fix there problems with huge servers and such the fact is blizzard cares a bit but not that much they care to the point of protecting your map for you but there not going to spend there money to build big servers for it its just not a big deal to them

Level 19
Personally as a starting map maker if find that looking at other peoples triggers is the easiest way to learn but aside from that I see allot of people asking blizzard to fix there problems with huge servers and such the fact is blizzard cares a bit but not that much they care to the point of protecting your map for you but there not going to spend there money to build big servers for it its just not a big deal to them

They got a reputation to consider. As Battle.net 2.0 will be monitized and will contain ads I think they really want to do and show us something.

Status
Not open for further replies.