• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Buildable town

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
Ok, so, i'm making an orpg. What would you guys think of this:

At some point you reach a destroyed town, and all its citizens have fled, so you decide to start another town in the same place. To make it lively you must go throughout the world and convince different merchants and npc's to move to that town. In exchange for reaching different points of liveliness, you could get rewards, such as gold, a bank "interest" system(where you get gold over time), items, and maybe even weapon discounts.

Level 7
Ive had ideas like that and they seem pretty good until you start working on them... What is the town going to look like? where will it be? how will you travel around? where will you go? what will their names be? What abilities will be used and for what reasons? How many towns and npcs should I use? What will happen once they come, where will they come, how will they come, what will the bring? Will they just appear? What will the cinematic be like? >.<

Although these games are always my favorite, they are never very good because there are so many specifics you must focus on. Its not like a crummy little game that you just through together with fancy items like DotA.

Level 8
Maybe you could do it like when you start up, you have 'broken buildings' which can be upgraded into functioning buildings.

You could also have things like 'Wrecked Mansion' and Wrecked barn' that you can 'renovate', making them usable again. These are more expensive and can't be turned into anything, but have better abilities.

You could also have things like 'Abandoned Doctor's Office' or 'Abandoned Market' which can only be renovated once you have convinced NPC's (doctor and merchant in this case) to mov in.

In other words:
Broken: Multiple choice
Wrecked: Renovated into one special building
Abandoned: NPC's can only renovate

Level 3
You need to add conflict. Why have these citizens fled? Is there some evil or impending doom? Or maybe there was some natural disturbance, such as an earthquake.
When you go to rebuild the town, I would recommend you present the player with an additional problem to deal with, to avoid a repetitive game of convincing people to com and building structures.

Status
Not open for further replies.