1. Are you planning to upload your awesome icon to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    July 8, 2018: The rules for the Icon Section have been revised. Please be sure to read the revisions.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Travel to distant realms and encounter scenes unknown to the common folk. The Greatest of Adventures is upon us with the 8th Cinematic Contest. Join in on a fun ride.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. The 18th Icon Contest is ON! Choose any ingame unit and give him/her Hero abilities. Good luck to all.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Contestants are to create a scene set in the Stone Age. Come and see what you can come up with. We wish you the best of luck!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Colour outside the lines! Techtree Contest #13 is a go. The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Greetings cerebrates, our Swarm needs new spawners that will have numerous children. Join the HIVE's 31st Modeling Contest - Spawners and Spawned! The contest is optionally paired.
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

BTNPhoenix15

Submitted by Thehive
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.
Okay, I tried making something other than a sword. I kinda liked the result when I was done but when I downsized it for WC III and added image borders (damn borders!), I think it got alot worse since you can't see any details. :(
And also, I didn't add any shadow because it's a bird made of fire. Should I add shadows anyway?

Update: Ok I added some purple. Better? :) I really dunno how a "typical phoenix" looks like but I tried to use the one from WC III editor as a template and work from there.

Update: Added more colour and shadows.

Update: More shadows and new background (probably temporary).

Update: Made it look more fiery.

Update: Made it look more agressive (or powerful) like Dentothor mentioned.

Keywords:
phoenix, fire, flame
Contents

BTNPhoenix15 (Icon)

Reviews
10:30, 25th Jun 2009 zombie2279: Quite good, actually. The beak looks weird and pixelated. You'll have to fix that and somehow detail it a bit more. The shading of the rest is quite okay, but some more fire-ish effects on the bird would do well....
  1. 10:30, 25th Jun 2009
    zombie2279: Quite good, actually. The beak looks weird and pixelated. You'll have to fix that and somehow detail it a bit more. The shading of the rest is quite okay, but some more fire-ish effects on the bird would do well.

13:15, 7th Jul 2009
    zombie2279: I was hoping for more improvements, but it's approvable nevertheless.

2. X.e.r.e.X

X.e.r.e.X

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    WC3 Phoenix should have purple/red/orange/yellow colors. Try to add all of these.

3. Thehive

Thehive

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I made it more purple. I have also a version with shadows and a version with shadows and more colours but the one with more colours looks like the phoenix's been tattooed. I think it looked better with shadow but it seems pretty stupid that a bird of fire would have any... Meh.
    Which version should I put here? This, Shadows or More Colours?

Edit: I'm gonna change to the Shadow version cause it's the 1 I like best.
    Edit: No wait I'm gonna change the extra colour version and upload that 1.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  4. X.e.r.e.X

X.e.r.e.X

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    How about showing the other ones also? >_>

5. Thehive

Thehive

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    This is the 1 including some shading and with the most colours. Should it be less/more?

6. X.e.r.e.X

X.e.r.e.X

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Just attach images of all of them in one post so It's easier to compare ...

7. Trillium

Trillium

Resources:
    Resources:
    i like this one. not really warcraftish style, but i like it =)))

8. X.e.r.e.X

X.e.r.e.X

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    You got it all wrong... I said put them in one POST, not "upload them all at once"

*facepalm*

9. a7xpwns3

a7xpwns3

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I likey. Here are my suggestions.
    • Dodge the upper beak around
    • Burn the lower beak
    • Smudge the color lines on the pheonix
    • Take a small brush with an opacity of about 50% and make little acute angles on the pheonix to make it look like plumage

I like the take on this, but it could be a lot better.
    2.2/5 for now, with potential for far higher.

10. Thehive

Thehive

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I don't understand much of what you just said. :)
    What is acute and plumage?
    And dodge the upper beak around. Just way which way the light comes from and I'll try my best.

Edit: And also, how should I smudge? I used smudge in the first place to make the shapes of the colours on the body.

Ok So I finally got how to add attachments. Here's the progress so far. Was 5 a step in the right or wrong direction? I really want to make a good icon! :D

Edit: What I basically did was to do the steps I understood. I smudged the colours to make them flow more along the body instead of being small dots. I burned the lower beak and dodged the upper one.

Edit: I looked up the word plumage and I think that will be very hard for me to do but I'll give it my best shot.

Edit: The plumage is almost invisible when you zoom out... And I don't like the looks of it either. :S I don't really know how I'm going to do this... And I should probably add more detail to the fire.

Edit: Any suggestions on background? I kinda dislike the one that's there right now but one of the hardest things for me is to decide the background.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2009
  11. krisserz

krisserz

Resources:
    Spells:
    Resources:
    It looks kinda 'plastic' for me, but overall nice. 3/5

12. a7xpwns3

a7xpwns3

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Wow. Sooo much better.
    Jumped from a 2.2 to a 3.8.

But could you make his beak shine and have a bit more shading? :p

13. Thehive

Thehive

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I was away. I'll get to it and do what I can.

Edit: Ok I made it darker. Please tell me if it needs to be even darker. I was also making some background ideas but they all sucked so I just made a gradient. I like the gradient more than the original background but what do you think? After all I upload this for the user's sake since I can change it to whatever suits me when I want.
    Which one of there is the best?

This is it for tonight. I got no sleep last night and I'd really like to be awake tomorrow. Bye guys and if anybody has an idea on how to improve this icon, I would be so glad if you would share it with me. :D

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  14. a7xpwns3

a7xpwns3

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I likz teh new background, but something's bothering me...

Could you make the beak fade into the background a little bit using the blur/smudge tool?

15. Thehive

Thehive

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    I made 1 version with just blur and 1 with blur and smudge. I don't really know how I'm supposed to fade the beak. I think the result was pretty bad but then again, it looks better when zoomed out to a wc3 icon.
    1:st pic blur. | 2:nd pic blur&smudge.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  16. Narandza

Narandza

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Looks like its... screenshot from some other game...

17. Thehive

Thehive

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Yeah I don't really know how to make WC3 style icons like crazyrussian. That's what I really want to learn but this will do for now.

18. Thehive

Thehive

Resources:
    Icons:
    Resources:
    Ok, I made it look a bit fiery now. Is it too bright? What do you think?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009
  19. Dentothor

Dentothor

Resources:
    Models:
    Icons:
    Packs:
    Skins:
    Tutorials:
    Resources:
    its a tad akward. im not really liking the concept ut the quality is mehhhh...? (im not sure if to call it good or bad. its inbetween.) and im not liking the backround. its just a dissolve filter... the problem is, im not really seeing the all powerful Pheonix Energy. Like the pheonix has some sorta jive to it and this icon isnt really showing it..
    Id say a 2.879/5

and you have double posted so many times. Please stop.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2009