• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Bone links

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 18
In my model, I've made bones and linked them like usually. The problem is: All bones work properly except the last few I made. The bones I link to a parent bone don't only move when the parent bone moves, but the parent bone moves with the child bones, which shouldn't be happening. I've unlinked and linked them both several times (only linking the child bones to the parent bone), but still the parent bone moves as if it was also a child bone of the same bone it's parent of.

Any idea's what could've caused this? I use 3Ds Max 2009.

You mean like this:

testr.gif

Well, that's because Bone Chains are made that way. The idea is that you don't move them. They should only be rotated.

However, you could use another system using Point Helpers, or Dummies:

test2b.gif

Level 18
That latter is what I'm looking for.

If I understand that image correctly, I make Point Helpers at the parent bone and the child bones, link the child bones to the child helpers, link the child helpers to the parent helper and link the parent helper to the parent bone?

Status
Not open for further replies.