• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Helpers vs bones

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 41
untitled-png.347745

I noticed that most of blizzard's wc3 models use the "parent helper that does all the moving, rotating and scaling->child bone connected to mesh, doesn't rotate or anything" structure (left part of the picture) instead of simply using bones for everything (right part of the picture). Why do they use helpers like this, are there any advantages to it?
I took a villagerman model, deleted some fluff, made a copy and converted that copy's helpers into bones. And as far as i can tell, none of the animations look different between them, no jankiness, no weird joints. Helper-less version even weighs a few kbs less.

Attachments

• Villagers.zip
    51.7 KB · Views: 19
Level 21
@tillinghast, you're right, most standard models have helpers (which contain all of the animation data) that are parents of bones (which are associated with particular vertices of the model's mesh). However, as you already said, only the bones are actually needed, which means that it's just unnecessary clutter that was probably caused by exporting the models from an ancient version of the 3ds max software. Of course it is not recommended to do this in custom models since it has no advantages and just doubles the number of nodes.

Status
Not open for further replies.