• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blue lines of Death

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
My desktop pc has just broken down :(. This is what happens when i turn the pc on:
1) Normal first screen but vertical blue lines all over screen.
2) Normal second screen without blue lines.
3) Windows start-up screen (with loading bar) with blue vertical lines
4) windows start-up screen dissapereares, the patern of blue lines changes (the vertical lines are skattered over the screen)
5) Blue lines dissappeare.
6) The mouse pops up
7) Screen turns off
8) Repeatingly 5-6 but nothing happens, background stays black, now and then i can see my mouse.

I have windows XP. My pc runs perfectly in safe mode. Running AV scan ATM.

Someone know what's the problem i have?

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Try reinstalling drivers (may be curropt)
If that does not help, your graphic card is broken. Basically windows uses the graphic card to accelerate the rendering of graphics, even desktop widgets in the case of vista and 7, so if it is not working well it will display garbage to you. Safe mode however bipasses any form of acceleration from the graphic card and purly sends images to display, as it uses software rendering (CPU does the graphics).

Still reinstalling the drivers is a good start followed by maybe the whole windows as it could be a problem there. If it persists it is most likly the graphic card, and you will need to get a new one.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Definatly graphic card, or incompatible drivers. Try the graphic card drivers that came with your graphic card, as maybe new ones are incompatible.

If you brought your PC from a bulk PC seller like dell, medion or fijitsu, then use only their drivers as the drivers from the actual hardware producer (nvidia, intel or ATI) will be incompatible and cause this.

If its none of the above, then you have no option but to get a new graphic card I believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.