• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

winlogon.exe - Corrupt File

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, basically, my computer has given up the will to live, it seems. From what I can 'see', the winlogon.exe file has been corrupted in some way and I can't start the computer.

When started in safe mode, I get one window, then another pops up on top of that one (non-overlapping, can see both). Here's the top one, then the bottom one.

"Window 1
User Interface Failure

The Logon User Interface DLL msgina.dll (might be wrong, can check) failed to load. Contact your system administrator to replace the DLL, or restore the original DLL.

Button: Restart (restarts)

Window 2
winlogon.exe - Corrupt File

The file or directory C:\WINDOWS\system32 is corrupt and unreadable. Please run the Chkdsk utility.

Button: OK (makes the window pop up again, lasts for about 10-20 times)"

In normal mode, Window 2 pops up, then after 10-20 times, disappears, leaving me with my mouse on a black screen. No blue startup screen.
Earlier on today, I could go on the computer (after about 10 minutes of startup time, usually less than a minute). The desktop was:
a. empty, mouse could move
b. had start bar with black cover, icons too, could do nothing
c. start bar with iTunes bar (which I never use), no icons, could do nothing

So, before I re-install windows, I just wanted to know if there's any way of recovering the thing, using an external device to carry out the process to recover that thing - or recover any data.
The only thing I've ever changed in that directory was when the whole automatic updates thing came up, which I then removed by instruction from the internet (cross referenced with some other sites, all the same).
Thanks in advance.

Level 11
Seems like it's infected, like big time. What you can do is to get this and download & replace the infected DLLs. Formatting would be the best option in my opinion, as it saves you lots of trouble and it's 100% certain that it will work.

Status
Not open for further replies.