• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

I can't reach my desktop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 19
When I opened my computer this early morning. At Log On. I typed my password and pressed enter. Then showed me an endless loading with the message. "Welcome". It took forever. I opened it at around 2 AM fell asleep and woke up at 6 and it's still loading. I tried removing the battery and holding the power button to reset the PC but the same cycle happens. One time I managed to get pass the loading screen and went it came to my desktop I can only see pure black screen. No task bar, no icons, no wallpapers and everything just my cursor.

After a few second it went blue screen and restarted automatically. The same problem happened again only I can't seem to reach my desktop again and stuck in the welcome screen.

Just a day before this happened, I had problems with my PC. I'd reach the desktop. I'd see everything there. my desktop, icons, and all the software that would normally open at start up (anti-virus etc.) By It's giving me a loading cursor that doesn't seem to end. It's just loading and loading. I tried right clicking and left clicking but nothing's happening. The more I click and my window explorer would go Not Responding.

I am now using the same PC with the said errors but only in Safe Mode. I'm not sure why but in Safe Mode my PC is perfectly fine. All my files are here and the PC isn't slow at all. I could open several programs without encountering a problem.

I used this opportunity to Google my problem but since I have no idea what to type I asked a couple of people from Hive in our chatroom. We really didn't troubleshoot anything but we did discuss a few things that might be causing the problem. I experimented by scheduling a disk check up start up and after which my PC went back to normal. But like I said. After a day I've encountered the 2nd problem (see 1st stanza).

I need help troubleshooting what might be causing the problem. and if possible, a couple of solutions.

Level 19
I didn't get to see what's written in it. But it dumped around 100 physical memory stuff. It happened too fast.

I'd considering formatting to be one of my last resorts. Hardware problems? Magtheridon mentioned about RAM where I'd remove and put it back again. (Since it requires knowledge on hardwares I'd let someone do it. So I guess It'll be an option before reformatting).

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
Sounds possibly like a hard disk fault. It will obviously hang if it cannot perform I/O of critical files with the disk. If it fails to read a critical file for the OS it will BSoD. This explains the endless loading messages and blank desktops you get.

Safe mode loads the minimum number of OS files so just might be able to start.

Level 19
@OffGraphic

You serious? So uninstalling Avast could fix the problem? It's already been a couple of months that I have Avast installed in my PC. Is it normal if it malfunction only now?

@Dr Super Good

If it's Hard Disk fault I wouldn't be able to access any of my files even at Safe Mode? Well, that's how I think it works.. or maybe I'm wrong.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
If it's Hard Disk fault I wouldn't be able to access any of my files even at Safe Mode? Well, that's how I think it works.. or maybe I'm wrong.
Safe mode loads a lot less data from the disk. It can be certain areas or files that are the problem. As the OS is installed first the safe mode files should be located near the centre of the disk. Due to updates some OS files will be located towards the centre or edge as you use more of the disk. All it needs is some mechanical defect on the head mover and it could result in difficulty accessing further away files.

Level 15
I've had this occur before, have you tried a simple System Restore by using Startup Repair? It should give you a prompt allowing you to go into it before loading Windows.

It's likely some DLL got corrupt and isn't loading correctly, but it's one of the aux ones that Safe Mode doesn't load.

Status
Not open for further replies.