• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Blood Hunters: SORPG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Darkness is unfolding
The Remnant are coming
The Forsaken are hunting
and Death lingers on

Beware the Viper
In pity, he will take on a mask
To fool those who believe in him.
Blood for blood, ashes for ashes.

Beware the Judgement
For judged you will be without mercy
Judged for your sins and skeletons
For all your iniquity and folly

Beware the Titan
The might of his wrath scours the land
No one to be left untouched
Blood for blood, ashes for ashes.

Beware the Shadow
No one shall stand untouched

Background
Years have passed since the Dark One's banishment to the Otherworld, a timeless void serving as a prison to Helioc's most malicious beings. The land has been cleansed of the foul magicks of the Darkness and the Dark One's most fervent followers have been imprisoned in the deepest place of the Tainted Maw, guarded day and night by the Custodians. Helioc, who stood united regardless of nationality or race against the Dark One's corruption which threatened to destroy the very fabrics of the world, is in a new age.

The Pact of Alarix, named after the Templar who sacrificed his life to tell the world to unite against all wishes, is crumbling. Nations are beginning to revert back to their old ways, bringing up former grudges and old hatreds. Nobody has broken the peace yet though, but the tension grows in every waking moment. But at the same moment, new alliances are being made. A Molten Dwarven-Yaarog Pact has been made. Goblin tribes are merging as larger and more powerful tribes. The Desert Warlord Hal'kaar and his travelling army of mercenaries and bandits are now forcing war reparations from villages. And Tharahoth, the once dominant nation on the economy of Helioc, has faltered causing a mad rush by all nations to rule the market.

The peace is faltering and the evil is returning but in a more subtle way. The Way Guards, guardians to the mystical gate entering the Void which would ultimately lead to the Otherworld, are being slain one by one. Already, suspicion grows among nations and each passing day, the peace weakens while the tension builds.
Storyline
A new faction has been conceived in secret. The Blood Hunters, a group of men and women who stood against the very Shadow during Helioc's greatest need. Their purpose, to keep the peace by all means necessary.
Blood Hunters is a Save & Load Single Player Role Playing game based of an extensive fantasy world, an idea I had conceived on my own. Remember, this is only an idea. I have yet to actually consider to take the time to solidify my idea. Blood Hunters is a very ambitious project, and I highly doubt, without the willingness and support of other users, it would not come to be. But it is not impossible.

In this map, I strive to create a game where mindless hack and slash is not the point. Instead, I want to create a game where players must think rationally and logically, tactical in many ways and yet at the same time have the feel of a role play. My ambitions are large, pushing the limits of Blizzard's World Editor.

Blood Hunter will definitely contain many features, both in plain sight and hidden. The player must shape their own fate and think tactically, even during battle where stats and gear aren't the only factors. Even choosing alliances might be a dilemma. But the one rule I must be insistent is that

There are no right or wrong decisions

Gameplay
You are an average young man. A man just out of his or her teens, seeking adventure and fame and riches out in the world. In this game, there is no fixed victory condition. As a man, you can go out to the world to become the greatest merchant or he strongest warrior, or you could secretly become a devout member of the Blood Hunters. But all in all, all factions will persuade you to become of of theirs.

In this game, you choose your own ending. There is no main quest or saving the world. Every decision is up to you, and each will affect you one way or another. Decisions in this game are not to be taken lightly. There are many factions to ally and side with, both secretive and famous, good and evil. While at the same time, being the best player doesn't mean the strongest. You shape yourself in this game, with many endings to end with.
Features
  • A simple yet well-made alignment system.
  • More types of attributes
  • An item tier system
  • Plenty of simple and sophisticated quests to choose from
  • Many different factions to side with
  • Hundreds of different skills and spells to learn to shape your character
  • Random events that affect the rest of the game
  • Challenging gameplay
  • Custom character creation
  • Individual relations with other NPCs
  • A unique spell crafting system
  • A full screen inventory
  • Day and Night system
  • Unlockable features and progressive enthralling storyline
  • Special cutscenes and major events
  • Guilds to choose from, not just concerning skills
  • Professions and Life Skills to learn
  • Reputation and Status
  • Bosses designed to bring out the tactical side of you
  • Puzzles and riddles to solve
  • Different and unique lands
  • Dungeons and Instances
  • Default talent trees or themed skills to create your own
  • Classes with different paths
  • Dark marks to choose from which affect your character
  • Enterable Buildings

And plenty more to come.
Currently, as I have said before, this is still and only an idea. I plan to add more and more different and unique features. I don't plan to make this another RPG where you just hack and slash your way through everything while getting the best gear with the best enchants. I don't plan to copy many things from World of Warcraft, although some things such as professions are from the game. I would prefer to try and minimize the amount of unoriginality in the game.

If ever I actually plan to recruit

RoleSub-Role(s)Role DescriptionAmount required
Terraining
  • Landscape
  • Details
  • Lighting and Shadow
As a Landscaper, you roughly design what the shape of the area will be. Bring out your imagination in the form of polygonal shapes.

Doing the details isn't easy. You're in charge of creating the stuff that would beautify the terrain. From designing large scale cities to small but imporatant touch ups

Lighting and Shadows are important too. It gives a feel to the environment along with elegance
Landscaper: 1
Details: 2
Lighting and Shadow: 1
Total: 4
Programming
  • vJASSers
  • Spell Makers
  • System Creator
  • Troubleshooter
  • AI Editor
  • Lua Programmer
As a vJASSer, you're in charge of creating events and happenings along with functions.

Spell Makers are pretty self-explanatory.

Troubleshooters will, during the programming stage, look out for loops and leaks in the triggers. You'll also be asked to make sure everything is in order, like paths and others.

AI Editors. Now you should deserve a high award if you would take this position up. You will be in charge of creating sophisticated boss tactics and counters along with brain-racking puzzles. Being very creative with this.

One position I highly doubt will anyone take. But a Lua Programmer is useful nonetheless.
vJASSers: 3
Spell Makers: 2
System Creators: 2
Troubleshooters: 1 or 2
AI Editor: 3 (If possible)
Lua Programmer: 1
2D Artists
  • Icon Designer
  • Screeners
  • Cartographer
  • Texturers
  • Environment Variators
  • UI Designers
Icon Designers are pretty self-explainatory as well. Be warned though, this requires heavy work and many icons can also be rejected if it does not meet the requirements.

Screeners. Very general term I made up for people who would be in charge of the loading screen, map preview, project banner, signatures, project presentation design and screenshots.

Cartographer. If you don't know what this is, it's a map maker. Not a Warcraft map maker, but a real map maker. These maps can be used to help the player gain a better understanding of the fictional world they're playing. A nice, but optional, feature would be an economical and political map.

Texturers are in charge of creating custom skins and what not.

Environment variators. You'll be asked to create new tiles and designs for trees. The actual modeling of the trees will be up to the 3D artist and texturers but you'll have to give a rough idea of it.

UI Designers are a pretty important position in my opinion. They're noticable, last throughout the game and gives the game a unique feel to it.
Icon Designers: 2
Screeners: 1
Cartographer: 1
Texturer: 2
UI Designers: 2
Environment Variators: 2
3D Artists
  • Modelers[c]Modelers are, again self-explainatory. You'll be required to create a rough model out of an idea and you'll be asked to make custom models such as buildings and units.[c]Modellers: 3[r]Writing[c]
    • Story & Plot
    • Dialogue
    • Grammar
    • Description[c]Story & Plot. You'll be in charge of creating a separate story for each faction, make a background for all areas and create small stories and plots for random events.

Dialogue. Just ensure the dialogue and the story both fit together and at the same time. You'll be asked to create the dialogue for some cutscenes and all the tooltips in the game.

Grammar. Check on the grammar of everything! From dialogues to loading screen descriptions.

Descrption. Ensure that the description of everything fits it need. You will have to make the description for quests, tooltips and presentation.[c]Story & Plot: 3
      Dialogue: 2
      Grammar: 2
      Description: 4[r]Sound[c]
      • Background & Environmental Music
      • Cinematic Music
      • Voice Actors
      • Racial Warning Sets[c]If you're in this position, you'll be in charge of making music for each separate areas, each with a unique theme including dungeons, instances and cities. You'll also make the transaction between two different music themes. You also don't necessary have to make the background "music" actual music. You can also use small sound like bird chirping and a river flowing when a player is near a river.

Cinematic Music is, well, for cinematics as the name implies. Cinematic and cut-scenes should have it's own music, especially for dramatic scenes.

Voice Actors are made so that when the character selects a unit, it will make a sound. Example: When you click a peasant, it will say "More work?". That's the voice actor's job. Voice actors will also do the dialogues and in some cases music.

Racial Warning Set. If ever I plan to make this, I plan to make it epic. That includes it's own racial warning set. For each faction (faction group, too many factions), there will be a different racial warning set.[c]Background Music: 5
        Cinematic Music: 2
        Voice Actors: As many as possible
        Racial Warning Sets: As many as possible[r]Ideologist[c]
        • Improvement and Progress
        • Objects and Spells
        • Boss Fights and Scenarios
        [c]Improvements & Progressors will help us think of new ideas for a new version.

Objects and Spells and self-explanatory

Boss Fights and Scenarios will make up new ideas for brain-racking puzzles and situations the player must solve their way out. Bosses will also have a tactical plan and it's your job to make it near impossible for the player to beat them.[c]All positions are open to as much as possible.

Attributes
In this game, like many other RPGs, there are attributes to consider. In my game however, there are two types of attributes: Upgradable and non-upgradable. You will see later.

Upgrading stats. In my game, you don't level up and gain certain amount of stat points. Instead, you gain experience from slaying beasts and questing, and with that experience, you can either change it to a stat point or talent point. I haven't really given this any thought so feel free to criticize or give more points if you feel like it.

Non-Upgradable Stats
Non-upgradable stats is what the name implies. You cannot upgrade it using stat points. There are only three main stats which are: Reputation and Fame and Relation.

Reputation, Fame and Relation
Reputation can decrease and increase. Reputation is what everyone views you as. If you have a low reputation, people will see you as either someone to avoid or shady dealer, depending on what you do. There are two types of Reputation: Personal and Public. Personal Reputation is the way one looks at you from a personnel point of view. An example would be, if you had robbed NPC Y, then the personal reputation you have with NPC Y and possibly a few others is not good. But if you had helped NPC Z with a task, like gathering a rare herb, then you will have a good personal reputation with NPC Z. Public Reputation is generally affected by larger quests and or the personal reputation you have with more powerful NPCs like Crime Lords, Nobles and other high ranking personnel of any alignment. Understand?
Fame
Fame will increase if you do things. The only way to decrease it is by not doing things and laying low. Fame will be to everyone. That means if you have a high fame, everyone will know you. If you have a low fame, only certain people will know you.
Relation
Relation is the direct or indirect relation which you have to another person. Let's say for example you have had trained under Knight X. The direct relation between you and Knight X is that he is your mentor and possibly even more. However, indirect relations can be made. Let's say Knight X introduced you to Mage B. If you had originally known Mage B via Knight X, then a whole new set of quests/tasks will be opened up or restricted from you. In simple terms, relation is the root and cause of how you knew someone, which affects quests and personal reputation cap (The highest possible achieved personal with that person). Experimental
Upgradable Stats
I plan to have two different stat groups: Mind and Matter. In two of these stat groups, there are around 3 (I'm still thinking of more) stats which the player can upgrade. Here is the list.

Mind: Generally everything that has to do with the psychology of things. Such as magic, elemental bending etc. etc.
  • Intellect
  • Control
  • Focus

Matter: The physical side of the world. Such as strength, endurance etc. etc.
  • Strength
  • Vigor
  • Dexterity

I don't intent on making the stat system where people would just say "Oh, if you're a warrior upgrade strength." or "You're a ranger and you upgraded Vigor? You're dumb." Instead, I plan to ensure that each attribute (or most) will be important for the class so that the class stats aren't fixed and players will have to think more.
Attributes
Attributes in this game, comprises of two very different elements of the game: Skilled Attributes and Power Attributes. This can be further explained below.

Skilled Attributes
Skilled Attributes are something like stats, but instead of being allocated at will, skilled attributes are a result of the allocation of specific stats combinations and environmental situations. In essence, skilled attributes are stats which can be upgraded indirectly by adding onto different stats. Yes, confusing indeed. But let me list down some skilled attributes to clarify the thought of it to you.

Skilled Attributes branch off into three different ways: Combat, General and Divine.

Combat Attributes include:
  • Defensive Skills (Parry, Dodge, Block)
  • Mastery (Spell Crit Chance, Spell Precision, Spell Backlash Reduction)
  • Tactical Intuition (Special Moves (Disarm, Blind), Environmental Advantage)
  • Spell Craft
(Element Combination, Concurring Spell Blows)

General Attributes include:
  • Charisma (Better Bargains, Hidden Quests)
  • Knowabouts (NPC Openess/Friendliness)

Divine Attributes include:
  • Attunement (Relationship and Favourability with the Otherworlds

• Professions
    In this game, you can learn any amount of professions, you to a certain level. There are three types of professions: Primary, Secondary and Tertiary. If you plan on specializing on one profession, you can. All in all, you can specialize one primary profession and two secondary profession. Tertiary professions don't need to be specialized. Professions also affect income. Let's say you work as an apprentice blacksmith. If you either have a good enough profession in blacksmithing, the master blacksmith will promote you, or if you work as a blacksmith long enough, you will increase your blacksmithing skill and learn new plans. Cool? Some professions also have more than one area or specialization.

A list of professions will be added soon.
    Elements
    Elements are a large factor in my game. All elements have a common cause: To keep the balance and stabilize the world. In this game, you don't have to be a master druid to handle elements, but not having any training can lead to disastrous events. Elements can be transmuted in many forms like motes, quantra and can even be charged or kept in "containers".

A list of elements will be added soon.
    Class System
    The class system will be a unique one. Instead of leveling up to a certain level, players must gain contacts with certain NPC's befriend them and learn the basics. There are set skills already, but most of the learning will be done by events and slaying monsters. This is a very vague system and will require further construction.
    [/box]

• Remember, this is just an idea. If I do receive enough support and willingness from other users, I might take this on. If not, anyone of able skill can use this for their own needs.

Last edited:
Level 7
Oh this looks promising! Especially the mind/matter, since I'm writing a story with physical/mental energies that involve elemental bending and such, I'm going to follow this with great enthusiasm, if you need a writer I'd love to sign up for that.

Level 12
Oh this looks promising! Especially the mind/matter, since I'm writing a story with physical/mental energies that involve elemental bending and such, I'm going to follow this with great enthusiasm, if you need a writer I'd love to sign up for that.

Thanks! This is a huge project and if I would take this on, I would also need loads of support from everyone!

Thanks again.

Level 12
Wow, this does look awesome. When you say there's no main quest, do you mean you don't get to fight this Dark One at the end, or is that just one ending?

As I said, you can join any, or multiple factions if they're associated. Each faction will have it's own background story and perks and benefits. All will have quests to complete, but there are some factions associated with the Dark One storyline, like the Blood Hunters. In the same way, there are also other "main" or epic quests/storyline which other factions, which might or not be associated with the Dark One storyline, have telling their own epic tale.

Basically you can choose to fight the Dark One if you wish. But you'll have to choose from an array of factions.

Level 7
SORPG. Well, it's just to say I meant the "S" to be save. Not Single otherwise it wouldn't make sense.

And don't double post.

SRPG has always meant singleplayer rpg. And MORPG has always been referred to as save-able multiplayer rpgs. So it's strange how your basically making up your own acronym that doesn't even coincide how the other ones are made; SORPG.

Plenty of rpg maps sprout up with similar structure and fail. I'm currently developing one that is actually pretty close to this in structure.

vJASSers: 3
Spell Makers: 2
System Creators: 2
Troubleshooters: 1 or 2
AI Editor: 3 (If possible)
Lua Programmer: 1

You also list these positions you have off like a mess. 3 vJASSers is more than most maps even need in itself and if your doing vJASS your probably going to do spell making as well. No one uses the AI editor for custom maps the AI is pretty much completely just triggered. Troubleshooters is another wacko made description. Also an Lua Progammer seems somewhat silly since there are not many Lua scripts/scripters out there and the ones that are out there often just accomplish tasks that other editor type people can do.

Story & Plot: 3
Dialogue: 2
Grammar: 2
Description: 4

Again; most people who are doing story/lore are usually at least a bit capable of producing some grammar and dialogue else why are they recruited?

I like what you have under the "A better understanding" part. It's the only somewhat original stuff that I've seen really cause a lot of it follows other rpg type ideas.

Reputation can decrease and increase. Reputation is what everyone views you as. If you have a low reputation, people will see you as either someone to avoid or shady dealer, depending on what you do. Understand?

Fame
Fame will increase if you do things. The only way to decrease it is by not doing things and laying low. Fame will be to everyone. That means if you have a high fame, everyone will know you. If you have a low fame, only certain people will know you.

Relation
Relation is something like reputation, except on a smaller scale. This is among factions and individual NPCs. Relation will affect your decisions. With a high relation with a certain faction, that faction will like you and you will gain better privileges from it. If you have a low faction with a person, that person will not respond to you or ask you to leave.
This part I kind of like a bit; but it seems kind of wacky for some of it. I mean most of these could be combined or they at least need a bit more of a differing explanation/impact to be considered to be different stats. I mean fame and reputation seem really really close in definition here.

Overall though you've done what a lot of people mistakenly do. Sure it's always a great envisioned type idea and the presenter says all about what kind of positions that he requires but he forgets to mention what he is bringing to the table. And in general it's not about quantity of people; it's much more about quality-- if they are able to fulfill the position they are given; and if they are able to come up with something unique that adds to the team.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.