• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BLIZZCONLINE 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 39
I watched the deep dive panel on Resurrected. Getting more and more hyped about this remaster. The team seems like they actually give a shit about preserving the spirit of the original and are adopting a "don't remove features that work" approach. The contrast to Reforged is insane. I really hope they will consider fixing Reforged too.

Yeah modding is actually pretty good. There's a project that allows you to write in TypeScript which gets compiled to Lua. So you can finally write your map code in a real language.
Warcraft III - TypeScript
Oh damn, that actually looks awesome! Might get me motivated to finally get into TypeScript :grin:

Level 8
The team seems like they actually give a shit about preserving the spirit of the original and are adopting a "don't remove features that work" approach. The contrast to Reforged is insane. I really hope they will consider fixing Reforged too.
I have already seen looking enthusiastic about a remaster project. We all know how it ended up.

Level 18
I'm not usually say this but oh well,
Because of what blizztivision had done with like everything, we might need to set the bar like on average, not like on cyberpunk or no man's land level.

Or you can even go even lower

Level 39
I have already seen looking enthusiastic about a remaster project. We all know how it ended up.

Because of what blizztivision had done with like everything, we might need to set the bar like on average, not like on cyberpunk or no man's land level.

Definitely not setting the bar too high. I'm more cautiously optimistic than anything. But one can hope that they learned from their mistakes with Reforged.

Level 21
I think the main problem is - blizzard are stuck now.

They already put a bunch of money and their name behind reforged, so they can't really back out without losing face (which I believe is a mistake, since this mess is dragging their name in the dirt worse than anything else).

To fix Reforged would cost them a buttload of resources, (possibly even two buttloads) and for what gain? for a handful of people who might still buy a revamp of this outdated game?

I agree that it would be great if they at least manned up, apologized and unmerged the old game and Reforged (probably also a large undertaking...?idk) But is there any way blizzard can still justify fixing Reforged financially? seems like it was just an attempt at fanservice/to squeeze an extra buck out of n old product that went horribly wrong, so now they are trying to just forget it.

Does it suck? yes. for sure. But if they can't find a way to make it pay for itself, I highly doubt there will be a change of policy any time soon...

Level 20
If anyone is wondering what is happening with Starcraft, a bunch of sites had an interview with Allen Adham and J.A. Brack... Here's what they said:

When creating something, we don't want to assume that it's going to work for only one genre. Warcraft is a great example. It started off as an RTS with three separate games, then we made a huge MMO, World of Warcraft, and finally a card game, Hearthstone. It's not hard to imagine more games in the genre. Just as it's not hard to imagine other games in the Starcraft universe, outside of the main series. The same is true for Diablo or Overwatch."

The fact that Starcraft was mentioned right after Warcraft tells me that it's next in line to be expanded to other genres.

Other stuff - they like VR, work on new IPs and hope that lessons learned from Reforged will result in better Resurrected. Oh, they also haven't stopped thinking about making another movie. Other than that, they don't say anything interesting, so I wouldn't bother Google Translating it from Polish, but...

Here's the link if anyone wants: Rozmawiamy z szefami Blizzarda o Diablo, ich największych błędach i przyszłości firmy. „Pracujemy nad nowymi markami”

Last edited:

pyf

pyf

Level 32
The status of TACT according to WoWDev, may be interpreted as a clue about the future of Blizzard's games.

For example, the fact that the PTR for SCII (s2_ptr(_locale)) is now listed as deprecated, seems to corroborate the idea that there will not be massive efforts to update the game anymore. Regarding WC3:R, the PTR distribution channel (w3_ptr) is still labelled as being active, despite the fact that Blizzard's official downloads page does not list any PTR for it to be available for installation afaik as of this writing.

Last edited:
Level 11
The status of TACT according to WoWDev, may be interpreted as a clue about the future of Blizzard's games.

Hmm...
5cAvtzz.png

Level 13
I cant' believe there's people unironically still kissing activision's rear and licking their boots clean as if it was going to revive the game. They could not care any less about any of us or the game at this point.

They aren't avoiding the game out of shame, they are dropping it because they know they won't make any kind of profit if they try to fix the mess they made. It's just like with overwatch and its questionable gameplay designs and horrible, horrible map layouts. They don't need to fix any of it, the game already made billions. Games don't need to be good, they only need to be successful. Wc3 reforged was not successful.

I love warcraft 3, it's still my most favorite game, but I also know that the blizzard that made that game doesn't truly exist anymore.

Level 39
Well, if you want new natives for Warcraft III, then, yes :D

Fair enough, but that hardly seems relevant for Diablo II :p

My point is, people shouldn't be forced to use a new, potentially broken, client for a 20-year-old game they already paid for, especially if they didn't opt-in to do so. At that point you're actually taking away the product people originally paid for. It's not alright in my opinion.

pyf

pyf

Level 32
This makes me happy:

chrome_a1n1aalpbc-png.374443

Yet another sign that they might have learned something.
As of this writing, it is still a bit unclear to me if, how and for how long they will maintain Battle.net 1.0 support for D2 v1.14d

This make me angry. They are cyberbullying us
Personally, I am encouraging people to download any previous Legacy version of any of their games, by using any of the official Legacy Downloaders Blizzard is still providing and them only. This applies to Diablo 2, Warcraft 3 and StarCraft.

Downloading legally any of these Legacy versions from Blizzard's own servers is imho like voting for a better tomorrow. As paying customers, I strongly believe it is yet another way to make our voices heard.

~El

Level 17
Downloading legally any of these Legacy versions from Blizzard's own servers is imho like voting for a better tomorrow. As paying customers, I strongly believe it is yet another way to make our voices heard.

I'm not sure if anyone is keeping stats on those numbers. In all likelihood the only person seeing that will be a tired support engineer who couldn't give less of a shit.

Level 11
Honestly, even 1.31 wasn't that bad. It was unstable as heck and buggy, but if they'd just kept all the reforged-specific """features""" to a separate client, I'd be willing to wager there'd be far less grievances with it.
Of course. This was the whole point from the beginning. The main reason people were so mad about Reforged was because it took away the original game. Even if it flopped as hard as it did, but we'd still have the original game (and maybe bnet 1.0) available, the outrage would not have been anywhere near this big.

As it is, I do think, that Blizzard should continue to be flamed for this. They have done things that, in more sensible times, a company would have been sued to oblivion for (False advertisement, fraud, robbery). At the very least, they should have provided options for refund not just for those who bought Reforged, but also, those who bought WC3 in all these years, at least from the online store. And even then they could be sued, for people who bought the game as physical copies are still robbed of the game they purchased.

Status
Not open for further replies.