• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

BLIZZCONLINE 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
blizzconheader.png

Watch it live at BLIZZCON

Opening Ceremony

11:00 PM - 12:00 AM CET

Last edited:
Level 2
Diablo 2 resurrected looks cool.
Reforged was abandoned by Blizzard. There is no news. It's really disappointing.
Its good they abandoned Reforged cz we want a wc3 remaster and Reforged was never supposed to be a remaster as it was a Wowified wc3.

Level 20
I'm pretty resistant to cringe, but J.A. Brack and the WoW guy were just too much :p The only one that did a decent job was Luis Barriga from the D4 team.

But then, Diablo was by far the most interesting part of the ceremony. Rogue cinematics and gameplay were great. Diablo 2: Resurrected looks promising, hopefully they don't screw it up like they did Reforged. And then... Immortal is supposedly quite good, so there's that.

Classic TBC is cool too, but the rest of the WoW/Hearthstone stuff was pretty meh.

Archian

Site Director
Level 61
It was so cringe to see J. Allan Brack avoid the mentioning of Reforged. We need some MUCH NEEDED reassurance that the are working to fix Reforged (FPS issues) and add the missing features like Custom Campaigns. It's really frustrating. The silence was deafening. My stomach started aching. The recent dismantling of the Warcraft 3 Reforged team didn't help. We don't even know who is working on Reforged atm. Our contacts in Blizzard don't even work on Reforged anymore.

Really excited for Diablo 2 Resurrected, though.

Last edited:
It was so cringe to see J. Allan Brack avoid the mentioning of Reforged. We need some MUCH NEEDED reassurance that the are working to fix Reforged (FPS issues) and add the missing features like Custom Campaigns. It's really frustrating. The silence was deafening. My stomach started aching. The recent dismantling of the Warcraft 3 Reforged team didn't help. We don't even know who is working on Reforged atm. Our contacts in Blizzard don't even work on Reforged anymore.

Really excited for Diablo 2 Resurrected, though.

The whiplash of tone between your paragraph and that last sentence reminded me of the whiplash between the WoW:Shadowlands Patch trailer and stuff and them then talking about Pet Charities will joyful music played in the background.

Level 14
I like the look of D2 resurrected. I think they learned something from the disastrous rollout of Reforged. (I hope) they are not changing the original game, this is something separate. What a novel idea...

Level 20
Rhykker asked Resurrected devs what lessons they learned from Reforged and the biggest take away was how the old game was handled, i.e. that if you didn't like the remaster, you couldn't go back to the original. Because of that, they are not bringing down the original Diablo 2 to launch Resurrected.

Source (6:55):

Don't watch the video with your hopes up, they didn't say anything else about Reforged.

P.S. I started laughing when they said that D4 will have a lot of mounts with lots of cool gear and the chat started spamming "Horse DLC confirmed" :D So true :D

Last edited:
Level 13
Short recap (I'll bold the highlights for me):
  • WoW Classic TBC announced;
  • WoW 9.1 announced, Anduin becomes evil and kills the leader of the Ange....uhm..Kyrians;
  • Hearthstone new Barrens expansion announced, didn't listen, couldn't care less about Hearthstone tbf;
  • Diablo 2 Ressurected announced;
  • Diablo 4 new class, the Rogue, announced;
  • Diablo Immortal, nothing really;
  • Overwatch 2 a few shots of new maps and four new hero models, some updates, but again nothing really;
  • Warcraft 3 Reforged, Heroes of the Storm and Starcraft not even mentioned;

Level 12
I like the look of D2 resurrected. I think they learned something from the disastrous rollout of Reforged. (I hope) they are not changing the original game, this is something separate. What a novel idea...
The worst part is that they also did that for Starcraft 1, so it's not like they didn't know about this

Rhykker asked Resurrected devs what lessons they learned from Reforged and the biggest take away was how the old game was handled, i.e. that if you didn't like the remaster, you couldn't go back to the original. Because of that, they are not bringing down the original Diablo 2 to launch Resurrected.

Source (6:55):

Don't watch the video with your hopes up, they didn't say anything else about Reforged.

P.S. I started laughing when they said that D4 will have a lot of mounts with lots of cool gear and the chat started spamming "Horse DLC confirmed" :D So true :D
3:54 in the video: Oh, they're completely remaking the cinematics. Sounds awfully familiar...

Well I don't think they could be so stupid to pull another Reforged a second time so this time it's probably real...

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I am quite impressed with the Diablo IV and II: Resurrected work so far. I just want them to keep the passion and sincerity all the way to the release date.

In what Warcraft III is concerned, they could have at least said they had no plans for it yet and ultimately sometime in the future declare it unmaintained/abandoned if that is what they wish.
This is one of their most creative and creativity spurring game and to leave it out in a drenched trash bin just because of a failure that was their fault, is childish.

StarCraft II already got that huge Galaxy Editor patch so nothing about it doesn't hurt.

Level 16
I love it , that most of the people complaining about Reforged not getting an update but on the same time they already refunded the game .

They are not going to support a game with 10 people playing it people.

Reforged fail was our mistake , for not giving them proper feedback.

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Yeah, excuse us for pointing out chicken footprints as being imperative instead of stressing out the importance of custom campaigns and desynchronization issues among others.

And no, they played it safely like with StarCraft: Remastered and how they're doing it with Diablo II: Resurrected in what the crosscompatibility tech is concerned, meaning that those who were disappointed by the Reforged fiasco could have remained on Classic and Classic didn't get update, the emphasis was on the failed Reforged.

Level 11
I love it , that most of the people complaining about Reforged not getting an update but on the same time they already refunded the game .

Sorry mate, but are you kidding me??? People have been feeding them so much feedback Blizz should have become fat, pointing out every problem with desyncs or other performance issues, missing features, giving them suggestions etc., Ever since the announcement, during the early release, and post release.

Blizzard didn't listen to anyone. They just went and released a completely broken game, and didn't fix shit. And now, a year later, the game has been utterly abandoned in it's terrible state, and even mentioning it on ShitConline gets your comment automatically removed.
(@stein123 post)

At the very least, Blizzard could have let us keep the old versions. That would have been a sign of good faith, a sign that they actually care. But they didn't. They forcefully updated everyone, regardless of whether they asked for Reforged.

"Our mistake" my arse.

Last edited:
Level 11
One thing I think we should have been more vocal about is the visual style, thought I doubt that those who never played WC3 before had any issue with the new graphics.

Oh yeah, and custom campaigns. But nobody expected them to remove this feature entirely.

Level 16
I totally agree with you @deepstrasz , merging the old client with the new was their biggest crime they ever committed.

I might be wrong , but Blizzard was going to add new UI , cutscenes ,they even hired Christie Golden to connect the story with WoW because after all WoW is the ongoing story of Warcraft 3 you like it or not, but you guys said no , we want everything the way it is, but on the meantime still complaining why they did not add this features , but it was you who did not wanted them.

Some of you even liked that disgusting non Warcraft art-style. I hold responsible Hive for not reaching them in time so they can change the game.

I remember when some members manage to get their hands on the Alpha version , they were all saying that the game was great and no changes are needed.

All i can say is , Warcraft 3 is dying ....

Last edited:
Level 11
Wait a second , i might be wrong , but Blizzard was going to add new UI , cutscenes ,they even hired Christie Golden to connect the story with WoW because after all WoW is the ongoing story of Warcraft 3 you like it or not, but you guys said no , we want everything the way it is, but on the meantime still complaining why they did not add this features , but it was you who did not wanted them.

Some of you even liked that disgusting non Warcraft art-style. I hold responsible Hive for not reaching them in time so they can change the game.

I remember when some members manage to get their hands on the Alpha version , they were all saying that the game was great and no changes are needed.

All i can say is , Warcraft 3 is dying ....
Except no one was against new UI or cutscenes. Some people were sceptical about campaign changes to fit WoW, but
1) Blizzard promised to allow people to keep original campaign versions.
2) The sceptics were a minority. Most agreed with changes.

And Blizzard didn't deliver on any of these. No new UI, no new cutscenes, not even a working game.

disgusting non Warcraft art-style
You mean the new models blizz bought from cheap Asian market?

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
I guess, remastering a 2D game with High Res assets is easy than remastering a 3D game.
In case this isn't a joke:
The other way around is easier, just check the Diablo II: Resurrected video on how they had to put 3D over a (semi-) 2D engine.

I might be wrong , but Blizzard was going to add new UI , cutscenes ,they even hired Christie Golden to connect the story with WoW because after all WoW is the ongoing story of Warcraft 3 you like it or not, but you guys said no , we want everything the way it is, but on the meantime still complaining why they did not add this features , but it was you who did not wanted them.
No. That's just their excuse because it would have cost and taken more time to develop.
The additional content would have been well received for Reforged but not for Classic as well and the purists were afraid of Classic being stained.
That could not be helped. Tastes are different and a lot of the younger audience likes nowadays graphics.
Again, this is not about Reforged but Warcraft III. Classic could have still be maintained properly and be successful on both ladder and custom games scenes.

Level 28
You mean the new models blizz bought from cheap Asian market?

That's so rude. They are a third party company that have poor knowledge about WC3 universe, everything should be blamed onto Blizzard not them. They did a good job with the models tho they definitely don't suit with the warcraft universe

Blizzard killed WC3 by merging both the old and new patch. Fuck them

~El

Level 17

Get the fuck out, Blizzard had all the feedback in the world and they did fuck all with it. It's not the responsibility of a bunch of enthusiasts to see through that a multi-billion corporation doesn't fuck up their own product.

Level 11
That's so rude. They are a third party company that have poor knowledge about WC3 universe, everything should be blamed onto Blizzard not them. They did a good job with the models tho they definitely don't suit with the warcraft universe

Blizzard killed WC3 by merging both the old and new patch. Fuck them
And I AM criticizing blizzard for their decision to cheap out and outsource the model work to save a few bucks instead of putting in the work themselves (considering they didn't even care that the style would be completely different.)

It's a fact, that outsourcing the models was cheaper for blizzard though.

@Amigoltu Yes these models. Don't take me wrong but the models don't look cheap, they are very well done . The Malaysian team put a very good effort to make them. But they don't fit at all with Warcraft.
I guess this gets a bit subjective. Personally, I don't like them because they look to me like generic mobile game models, that are in some places overdone (Thrall's wolf, acolyte, necromancer, a lot of the weapons), or they are too cartoony (wolf).

Generally, the higher detail of these models is lost because it's an RTS. Also, I noticed that most of these models lack animations entirely (banshees disappear on death), or have much lazier animations compared to original 2003 game (new dreadlord death animation ironically lacks much of the detail original 2003 version did, e.g. the bats).

And I agree, that these models utterly don't fit in the warcraft 3 game. Seems like the creators went for... relative realism, while Warcraft always put style before that.

Last edited:
Level 16
Get the fuck out, Blizzard had all the feedback in the world and they did fuck all with it. It's not the responsibility of a bunch of enthusiasts to see through that a multi-billion corporation doesn't fuck up their own product.

Haha , yeah blizzard had all the feedback after the beta was released , when pretty much everything was done , when people realised how bad was it.

It was too late then. They did not know what to start fixing first.

By the way you look little bit salty , have i banned you from somewhere ? If yes , i will keep banning you :)

Level 28
And I AM criticizing blizzard for their decision to cheap out and outsource the model work to save a few bucks instead of putting in the work themselves (considering they didn't even care that the style would be completely different.)

It's a fact, that outsourcing the models was cheaper for blizzard though.

maybe its the word "cheap asian market" is the one that seemed rude to me, but yeah i understand what you mean, but i wouldnt go and call them cheap, they actually did a good job... in my opinion

Level 11
Haha , yeah blizzard had all the feedback after the beta was released , when pretty much everything was done , when people realised how bad was it.
I mean, how were people supposed to give proper feedback before the Beta? Until Beta released, and even later, people still thought that the missing features were going to be implemented. Blizzard themselves said as much. Even the models were only said to be concept, and may be adjusted before final release. Guess that was a lie too...

And this is not to say that people didn't give suggestions before. Blizzard forums were bombarded with ideas. A lot of great ideas too (TESH in editor, customizable UI, etc.).

Also, I forgot to mention that Blizzard was getting lots of feedback in the patches leading up to Reforged (1.29 - 1.31), but somehow wasn't quite succeeding in fixing the stuff pointed out even then. And with each patch, more problems would come rather than less. Even now, patch 1.29 is probably most stable of new-pre-reforged patches. Though 1.27 is better still ofc...

@mori could have expressed his opinion in a more civil manner, but his anger is justified. Blizzard messed up BIG time, and their fault in this is undeniable. They have gone back on everything they promised and destroyed the game, that the fan community kept alive for almost 20 years at that point.

Just to give you an idea, almost all the things below still hold true a year later:
https://www.reddit.com/r/WC3/comments/exav5v/just_a_list_of_everything_wrong_with_reforged/

Yet here you are, blaming the fans for this...

Last edited:
Level 20
It was too late then. They did not know what to start fixing first.
I guess it was also too late to make sure that the game didn't launch with a plethora of bugs, disconnects and performance issues, huh?

Poor Blizzard... who could have known that people wouldn't enjoy being kicked out of a game, having to restart because of bugs, getting frame drops at random times and in every bigger battle, etc. Or that everybody loving the reveal cutscenes meant that we really wanted them. Or that people expected to get all the original features.

And let's have a moment of silence for Blizzard for having to deal with Warcraft 3 neckbeards that wanted to get their money's worth and weren't happy to be scammed.

Last edited:
Level 13
I'm not being sarcastic, though. This thread has opened my eyes to the atrocity I've commited. I must repent by flagellating myself all the way to my credit card :p
Not gonna be enough. To truly repent from such a horrible sin, you'll have to make your way to Jerusalem, and cross the whole Via Dolorosa while carrying a giant cross and flagellating yourself at the same time.

Level 11
OMFG! @deepstrasz @Amigoltu @mori @MasterBlaster I'm pretty sure that @Power is just being sarcastic and teasing you a bit.
Oh well, at least I got to get that off my chest. And in case he wasn't sarcastic...
paladin-gif.374051

People are not to be blamed for this. Blizz is.
The only fault people have done - they purchased Reforged and did not refund. And they keep buying Blizz products. As customers of game dev companies, we can moderate what they put out by "voting with our wallets". But there are people, who keep buying regardless of how much shite a company does. Such people are what keeps these companies doing this shite.

Attachments

• Paladin.gif
    Paladin.gif
    12.6 KB · Views: 686

~El

Level 17
Haha , yeah blizzard had all the feedback after the beta was released

Blizzard has been getting feedback since 2017, which is when Reforged-preparation patches started rolling out.
By the way you look little bit salty , have i banned you from somewhere ? If yes , i will keep banning you

I'm calling you out on your nonsense. I have no idea who the hell you are.

Level 7

Now that's blame shifting if I've seen any, sarcasm or not.

I guess, remastering a 2D game with High Res assets is easy than remastering a 3D game.

Don't forget that SC2 got W3 remastered models years before Reforged was even a thing, so that's not even an excuse.

Also, HTML menus, like, what the hell?

Million times this. In any case, they should be thankful they got any feedback for free to begin with.

Rui

Rui

Level 41
I'm pretty resistant to cringe, but J.A. Brack and the WoW guy were just too much :p The only one that did a decent job was Luis Barriga from the D4 team.
Luis Barriga is a latino name. Had he been born in an English-speaking country, his name would have been Louis Belly.

That's pretty much all the insight I have to add to the topic at the moment.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.