• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Blink By Gogetakao[GUI]

This bundle is marked as useful / simple. Simplicity is bliss, low effort and/or may contain minor bugs.
Credits:
Gogetakao(me for making spell)
Hiveworkshop(for a good start in editor tutorials)

Description
This here is a gui spell and i think it is leak-less(moderators will let me know if it is leak-less or not....this spell is a short triggered script with each step mentioned in detail...
When casted the user will channel mystical energies which will allow him to go to the desired area ....

If any bugs or suggestion tell me since this is my first spell in hive i won't be upset if i get rejected...
Triggers:
  • Blink
    • Events
      • Unit - A unit Starts the effect of an ability
    • Conditions
      • (Ability being cast) Equal to Blink
    • Actions
      • -------- ---------------------------------------------Setting the animation we want you can set it to the animation the particualar unit has , (here i have setted it to attack,splam)------------------------------------------------------- --------
      • Animation - Play Caster's Attack,slam animation
      • -------- -------------------------------------------------------Assigning Variables------------------------------------------------------- --------
      • Set Caster = (Triggering unit)
      • Set Postion[1] = (Position of Caster)
      • Set Postion[2] = (Target point of ability being cast)
      • -------- -------------------------------------------------------I have paused the unit in case of good effect you can do what you like------------------------------------------------------- --------
      • Unit - Pause Caster
      • -------- -------------------------------------------------------Effect when the unit will start casting------------------------------------------------------- --------
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at Postion[1] using Abilities\Spells\Human\Flare\FlareCaster.mdl
      • Trigger - Turn on Blink loop 1 <gen>
      • Wait 1.00 seconds
      • Trigger - Turn off Blink loop 1 <gen>
      • -------- ------------------------------------The trick do not edit this please ------------------------------------ --------
      • Animation - Change Caster's vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 0.00% transparency
      • Wait 0.10 seconds
      • Animation - Change Caster's vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 20.00% transparency
      • Wait 0.10 seconds
      • Animation - Change Caster's vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 40.00% transparency
      • Wait 0.10 seconds
      • Animation - Change Caster's vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 60.00% transparency
      • Wait 0.10 seconds
      • Animation - Change Caster's vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 80.00% transparency
      • Wait 0.10 seconds
      • Animation - Change Caster's vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 100.00% transparency
      • Unit - Create 1 Dummy for Player 1 (Red) at (Position of Caster) facing Default building facing degrees
      • Unit - Move Caster instantly to Postion[2]
      • Wait 0.01 seconds
      • Camera - Pan camera for (Owner of Caster) to Postion[2] over 0.00 seconds
      • Animation - Change Caster's vertex coloring to (100.00%, 100.00%, 100.00%) with 0.00% transparency
      • Unit - Unpause Caster
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at Postion[2] using Abilities\Spells\Human\ThunderClap\ThunderClapCaster.mdl
      • Wait 0.00 seconds
      • -------- ------------------------------------Leaks Removal :)------------------------------------ --------
      • Unit - Remove (Last created unit) from the game
      • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Postion[1])
      • Custom script: call RemoveLocation(udg_Postion[1])
      • Custom script: set udg_Caster = null
and the loop trigger
  • Blink loop 1
    • Events
      • Time - Every 0.30 seconds of game time
    • Conditions
    • Actions
      • -------- ------------------------------------The special effect you want during the casting you can set here------------------------------------ --------
      • Special Effect - Create a special effect at Postion[1] using Units\NightElf\Wisp\WispExplode.mdl
      • Wait 0.00 seconds
      • -------- ------------------------------------Leaks Removal :)------------------------------------ --------
      • Special Effect - Destroy (Last created special effect)
Keywords:
blink,earth,universal,gui,cool,short,triggered,script
Contents

Just another Warcraft III map (Map)

Reviews
12th Dec 2015 IcemanBo: Too long as NeedsFix. Rejected. 09:34, 12th Dec 2013 Maker: Do not use waits.

M

12th Dec 2015
IcemanBo: Too long as NeedsFix. Rejected.

09:34, 12th Dec 2013
Maker: Do not use waits.

Level 8
good for a first attempt (I think?)

but this spell is way too basic to be accepted even more so since it's not MUI
maybe you should have more effects such as the caster taking nearby units with it when it is done channeling, or granting bonus move speed, dmg in aoe effect

better than me preaching tho, I think what you need to do is go sample other recommended spells here/read more tutorials and copy what they do for a bit. See how some of the better GUI spells are triggered and try to understand why.

Level 29
This leaks.
  • Unit - Create 1 Dummy for Player 1 (Red) at (Position of Caster) facing Default building facing degrees
Also look at these chapters in my tutorial Things a GUIer should know. ( link is in sig below)

Chapter 2 - Dealing with Waits
This will show you why waits are bad.
Chapter 12 - How to Index
This will show you how to make spells MUI

Chaosy

Tutorial Reviewer
Level 40
1. call RemoveLocation(udg_Postion[1])
you use this twice in the cast trigger

2. you dont remove point leak in the loop triggers

3. do not use waits. waits which wait 0.00 seconds are not only bad they are pointless too.

4. you should nerver turn the loop on / off that way. Instead just created the effect and then remove it. The loop is pointless.

5. you remove the unit the wrong way, it leaks.

6. you should remove the effect instantly after you create it, do not wait until the end of the trigger.

7. you play the casters slam animation before you have set the caster variable to a value.

I think that's it. Pretty good for a first try.

Last edited:
Nice you post your triggers here, but please use '
' code for it.

What would make me to use this spell instead of normal blink ability of object editor? I can change the duration time, and even change the effect there.

It's not looking bad, but actually for me it's not special enough.. it's just a simple 'move instantly' action, and rest of code is only about special effects.

3. do not use waits. waits which wait 0.00 seconds are not only bad they are pointless too.
Yes, waits are inaccurate and not recommended. And in this case I agree, but wait 0.00 seconds can be useful sometimes.. just if you wanna start a new thread.

I think that's it. Pretty good for a first try.

Even you may be right ofc, that it's only first try.. but that does not change anything to get this approved.

If you want to work on it, this may help you: How to get your GUI spell approved

And also you can try to make it more unique, just a special feature which differs your spell from usual one.. gl :wwink:

Edit:

Please add a version number, and if you work on further versions a changelog would also be good.

Last edited: