• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Best way to make stackable doodads?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 15
Hi,

I'd like to make a custom doodad that can stack upon other doodads, but still blocks units/has collision.

Is there a flag in the editor that lets you stack doodads?

Level 10
I'm pretty sure there isn't an explicit field for that in the editor if you want them to stack right on top of each other and still have pathing/collision. I'd probably use doodads without pathing/collision, then fix the pathing by placing pathing blockers on the map.

Level 15
Alright but in the original map, the mapmaker stacked doodads on top of other destructibles without pathing blockers AND they all had collision/blocked player's units.

Here are some pictures...

3136uf9.png

2uhr68w.png

rrmjb9.png

Especially in the last picture, you can CLEARLY see trees are inside the rock doodads. But, if I copy and past his exact doodads (the custom rocks he has), it does not let me put them on top of trees, or trees on top of them. So I'm going to call bs about the whole two layer of doodads/pathing blockers. And in the last picture, those purple boxes are not pathing blockers. So there is a way to stack doodads/destructibles and keep their collision (look at Ashenvale rocks, you can stack those in many SotDRps, but they still have collision!).

So why when I copy and paste his custom doodads it doesn't let me stack them, even though in the third picture the trees are clearly inside the rocks...

Level 15
I think you can hold shift (or control?) while placing a destructable to place them closer than what they'd normally be allowed. If you want to stack them directly on top of each other (e.g. houses), then you need a separate object without pathing.

Those trees are clearly inside the doodads. Using your shift technique I should be able to emulate their placement?

Level 10
Holding shift will allow you to stack them upon each other as long as they aren't at the exact same spot:

f36yh0.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.