• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

[General] Best Way to Detect Physical Attack Landing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 2
I have been reading into some damage detection systems and the problems in damage detection. Specifically, damage detection systems that want to differentiate between spell damage and physical attack damage require some form of overhead, ex. all spells must be triggered, ex. use of Magic Resistance ability, etc.

I have now a few questions.

1. Have any new techniques been developed to detect physical damage, its source, etc.?

2. In the following link, the poster writes that "passive poison" can be used as the ability to place a buff and that it seems not to have side effects. Does anyone know exactly which ability (i.e. ability code) the person refers to? Does this ability have any side effects beyond placing the buff (ex. does it override any other buff placers or orb effects)? I am unsure if they mean Slow Poison, Poison Stinger, or something else.

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...98/detect-physical-damage-225364/#post2242933

EDIT:

I am taking suggestions for buff-placing auto-attack-related abilities, but I would like to know if any of them have side effects.

Last edited:
Level 2
I'm afraid that system cannot be implemented in my map. The map in question is an altered melee map and thus has dependency on the ladder Life Drain and Finger of Death spells, and the ladder spell resistances. Additionally, I already have a DDS in place.

Apart from that, I don't know if the vJASS version of the system is maintained, as I would like to use that.

EDIT: That said, this system does seem to be highly praised and brought up frequently, so I will likely use it for entirely custom maps.

Level 24
"Best Way to Detect Physical Attack Landing?"
Best way? Dont.

The best way of doing it is not doing it at all and create the basic attack by script.
But ofcourse you wont be doing that because that requires some serious scripts, numberless testing and full access to all attack related data.

So now that you cant get the best way, lets do it on a slightly-less-perfect-but-still-good-enough-for-every-other-map-maker-in-the-hive-way... aka a DDS.
The people that made such systems did their best to avoid as many troubles as possible, and last time I checked, Bribe's DDS has quite the things you need to get everything right again.

But you have to agree that you wont get anything better than that and start fixing the things that it breaks instead of waiting for someone like me to explain to you that you are not going to get anything better in this time.

We have a horrible API and even more horrible data and still make things that you as general user can use to detect damages... guess you should be happy with it and deal what we offer.

Level 2
Bribe's system is good enough. I'll be going with that, the overhead is worth it and the system came with the appropriate measures to makeup for its few weaknesses.

Level 31
Uh, a warning. All current DDS's that detect physical damage will break Spirit Link. There is no way to fix it. You'll have to code Spirit Link from scratch.

As you wanted an altered melee, I would think that this'd normally be a deal breaker for you.

I think Almia discovered this awhile ago and messaged me about it. I tested it and found no way to fix it.

I made a thread in The Lab about it, the breakage of Spirit Link is largely ignored. I also notified Bribe and looking_for_help about it. I don't know that they put anything in their threads about Spirit Link breaking, but they do know about it.

Level 2
If you did that, I think you might have been able to cover, more or less, all edge cases of ordinary melee spells.

Status
Not open for further replies.