• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Best Robin Hood Custom map?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
This is why I hate THW.

I'm sharing the sentiment I think. Coming onto a site where the main populance post their angsts at a whim is aggravating to say the least. The concept of this thread is simple and was hoping to inspire the creativity and sparks of people who've played some of the maps around and have come across a good Robin Hood themed map. The editor provides a good backdrop for this kind of map, I'm curious how some of the best mapmakers here have used it to make a map such as this for instance.

Level 11
Ya because best Robin Hood themed custom map isn't enough description. By the way the answer is none as seemingly a search for Robin Hood yields nothing, other than some numpty who has chosen to call himself Robin Hood.

If the description was enough than I wouldn't have asked. Obviously this isn't a very popular theme as you have found out. What if I wasn't familiar with the "Robin Hood" story, did you consider that? No, of course not. Let's assume I was familiar with the story, I still don't know why you'd think these types of maps would be popular...but maybe if you explained better we could help you beyond the futile searches you tried.

Last edited:
Level 7
Matey I wasn't responding to you- hence the quote. Look really pick your targets because I am older than a lot of you but just share the same passion of Warcraft 3. I could blink as far as I'm concerned and beat some of your arguments, though you'd beat me a long way in map-making :D

As far as I'm concerned the thread title is simple enough, and therefore the due response. But a valid point is that maybe some of you outside of Britain or England have not heard of Robin Hood. And if that's the case I duely apologize.
Thanks.

Level 11
Matey I wasn't responding to you- hence the quote. Look really pick your targets because I am older than a lot of you but just share the same passion of Warcraft 3. I could blink as far as I'm concerned and beat some of your arguments, though you'd beat me a long way in map-making :D

As far as I'm concerned the thread title is simple enough, and therefore the due response. But a valid point is that maybe some of you outside of Britain or England have not heard of Robin Hood. And if that's the case I duely apologize.
Thanks.

Age shouldn't have anything to do with it. If the logic is sound, it's sound. There is also a good chance that you're not older than me, though I agree with you that a lot of people here are late teenagers at best.

I appreciate the compliment, even after I flamed you. Your reaction was surprising, and definitely put me to shame. Believe it or not I usually just flame at this site (because most people here are incapable of a response like yours). The least I can do is edit out the flames. Though, I would appreciate you addressing the arguments I made.

You agree that some people may not have heard of "Robin Hood" and I anticipate that a lot of international people will fall under this category. For this reason alone, I think you should explain better. But, I also don't think "Robin Hood Themed Map" is very descriptive for those who are familiar with the story. My knowledge of the story is basically "some rogue woodsman steals from the rich and gives to the poor" and that's about it. If that is the story you were thinking of, then I don't see the direct translation to a WC3 map. I also don't see why you'd think they would be extremely popular, but again if you explained the type of gameplay then we could all discuss this better.

Level 7
A really great film is this one here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0102798/ I recommend watching it. We have so many films based on this on this famed archer who stole from the rich and gave to the poor. This arguably, is the best one. (or the cartoon version :D)

Anyway, I say Warcraft 3 is a good setting for this because the setting of Robin Hood was in notably the time of swords and bows, and castles. The choice of doodads, units and terrains go well with this in the world editor. In terms of gameplay, I wasn't specifically thinking a of gameplay archetype in mind but as I say with the term Robin-Hood themed I'm leaving it open to the creator of the map and what they've done with that theme. Have they made it a rpg? Or have they based it on an archery element? Or something else?

My main reason for doing this thread was to enjoy other people's map offerings. Whether I said Robin Hood- or a Naruto based one, or a battletanks and planes one. It's just to get some good suggestions to have a look at, and also make an enjoyable thread in the process. Just it seems Robin Hood was a bad one to start a thread with.

Status
Not open for further replies.