• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Copyright of Music/Soundtrack in Custom Map

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Hi Hive, I have a question if, let’s say I play music in my Custom Map that has any copyrights(i don’t know) can there be any Problem with...

Im asking because there so many Copyright Models out there

Anime’s
Nintendo things..
And and and

if I play some soundtrack‘s for my Boss Themed Map will there be any Problem with?

Level 20
The answer really is "it depends" because some companies are more lenient about this sort of thing than others.

But if you are really concerned about it, just don't do it. Doubly so if you want to monetize your work.

If you're REALLY concerned consult a lawyer (a real one).

Level 12
The answer really is "it depends" because some companies are more lenient about this sort of thing than others.

But if you are really concerned about it, just don't do it. Doubly so if you want to monetize your work.

If you're REALLY concerned consult a lawyer (a real one).

Thx for your Anwser :) I don’t have a clue what i do now xD I mean some soundtracks will incrase the atmosphere and incrase the value for a good map... and other hand I don’t wanna have the stress to spend weeks and months in a lawsuit if it happens... I mean I work on ~60 Bosses and wanted to theme them with Boss Fight Themes... but 60 Soundtracks would incrase the Chances that one of them will cause some problem...

im confused now haha... damn perfection

Level 18
Now Blizzard owns the rights on Custom Maps that means for modders new Consequences... that’s my Point...
not exactly (they did before) and if it's not used for monetary reasons no company is really gonna care, plus even if they ever did, somehow care about wc3 modding, there's no wc3 team anymore lmao nobody is ever gonna look into it at this time, I use copyrighted music on all my maps, who cares.

Level 12
What do some of the Similar threads listed at the bottom of this page inspire you to maybe (not) do?
Nice didnt know that function that shows similar threads.. i just googled and searched on the search option on hive and didnt find anything...
but i will at least give a fuck too and add soundtracks and credit them too because i dont wanna Monetary.. :) thx for your anwsers

Reactions: pyf
Level 13
Is the Blizzard ownership clause actually enforceable though? Say Microsoft releases a windows 10 update that states all intellectual property you make using their IP (including .dlls that allow the basic functionality of the OS) belong to them. Certainly that would not be valid?

Level 20
Is the Blizzard ownership clause actually enforceable though? Say Microsoft releases a windows 10 update that states all intellectual property you make using their IP (including .dlls that allow the basic functionality of the OS) belong to them. Certainly that would not be valid?
Its only 'enforceable' if they're willing to take someone to court over it. It's the whole reason why people can literally write anything into an EULA-- no one wants to take one to court and find out how legally enforceable it is (especially if a company ends up losing).

Just be aware that if you use copyrighted music in your mod, YouTubers, who make a video of your mod, will be notified by ContentID.
This is the biggest concern most people will run into. The difficulty comes in that you can't tell until someone tells you.

Most of the time companies won't care, but some of them do and they'll bully you over it.

Level 13
Its only 'enforceable' if they're willing to take someone to court over it. It's the whole reason why people can literally write anything into an EULA-- no one wants to take one to court and find out how legally enforceable it is (especially if a company ends up losing).
Sadly steam and Blizz settled out of court otherwise we'd have a public ruling on this. Its funny because the 1 time it HAS gone to court, it didn't actually END in court, so your point that no one wants to let the court settle it out is funny-- and true! By enforceable I was more speaking to how I speculate the result would have been. But the fact that both sides agreed to settle is tricky. On one hand, it could have been a move by Blizzard to keep the EULA valid. It could have also been because Steam was actually scared of the courts ruling in Blizzard's favor. I'd wager on it being the former though, theres no logical reason you cannot own your own software. Period.

Status
Not open for further replies.