• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

"best" damage detection system?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 7
i'd like to know what you guys think what is the "best" damage detection system, including the Jass and vJass systems
the 2 important aspects for me:
- how user-friendly is it?
- how many functions does it have? (like detecting damage type, amount of raw damage and dealt damage)

I highly recommend u Damage Detection System by Cold Bone(i think to that is his name xD). I have seen many damage detection systems but they are somehow hard to understand (at least for me).
ColdBone DDS - Good Because
Easy to undestand and remake for your map.
Also I think to it's good and one Made by Maker - shows unit maximum and minimum damage.
But probably best but and hardest is:
Damage Engine
With it u can make many things:
Make attack damage 0, nullity damage, and many sistems like moving units lesser damage, summoned extra. Etc with it u can make many unique thing, but it's somehow hard for me because I and not best with Integer A.
That's all from me

Level 12
No system is better than another one.

All of them have their pros and cons.

This is quite untrue, although I won't get nitpicky. There's many ways to classify one system as being "better" than another.

Anyway, as far as user-friendly is concerned, it doesn't get much better than one of the GUI DDS and there is a couple out there that are very popular. Weeps is one and Bribe made another good one.

The GUI ones are popular cause they have many of the functions as the fancy JASS ones do and seeing as it is in GUI, it's more easily understandable by most people.

This is quite true, IMO.

Do a trigger like this :

• Unit - A unit Enters Entire Map Area
  • Trigger - Add the event ((Triggering Unit) gets damaged) to MyTrigger <gen>
That's better than Weep's or others DDS in Simplicity, but Weep's or others DDS are better in Efficiency (i.e.)

If we consider all the point of views and all the pros and cons, We can say that none of them is better than another one in General. But if you consider only a few of point of views or only 1, one will be better than another for this point of view.

Also, 69stehend asked to know our opinions, so i explained mine.

Level 31
  • Unit - A unit Enters Entire Map Area
  • Trigger - Add the event ((Triggering Unit) gets damaged) to MyTrigger <gen>
do that if you want event leaks ;P

the absolute most efficient one (not even close in similarity to the others as far as the back design goes) is the one I wrote. One of the challenges in a DamageEvent system is cleaning up the event leaks when units go out of scope (remove, decayed, etc). Some of them create 1 trigger for every unit (wtfx), otherwise will reregister all of the units on the entire map (spike much?), mine creates multiple triggers for groups of units and refreshes only when it is not costly to do so. This means no spikes, save on memory, and get great performance. It registers to triggers with the least units registered to them as well ; ).

Not only can you do all of this, but it has 1 very simple variable for modifying damage, and that is modifiedAmount. If you want the damage to be 0, set modifiedAmount to 0. If you want to access original damage, you can as well ; ). If you want the damage 100% absorbed, modifiedAmount = -modifiedAmount.

It doesn't get much easier than that.

edit
Not only do you get a great core and an easy to use system, but you get prioritized damage. If you want cold damage to run before absorb damage, you can do that easily with priorities! : D.

edit
Also has this absolutely fantastic system written for it, which will allow you to create the most complex things very easily

http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/submissions-414/system-damage-modification-effect-213608/

You create damage modifiers for units. For example, if you want a unit to reduce fire damage by 5, you create a modifier for it.

Level 12
The above is a great example of shameless self-advertising.

lol, not reaming you, mate. Just callin' it as I see it <3

Level 33
the absolute most efficient one (not even close in similarity to the others as far as the back design goes) is the one I wrote
Is this needed -,- ?

I suggest you should stick to simplicity and about the efficient part, does really it shows its significant "unefficiency" in-game ?
No, right ?
You can't even see it with naked eyes, I did not say efficiency does not matter, but as long as the game goes on without any bugs, well I guess it's a good thing, players would never check those codes before they play
They play for fun, and that's it
Unless, System A shows weird significant, I repeat, significant ("Sufficiently great or important to be worthy of attention; noteworthy.") unefficiency, well you should change that system you're using.
I don't think the game using "unefficient" system would lag that much either.

Well, just use it whatever suits you and most important, easy to understand and implement.

Not only can you do all of this, but it has 1 very simple variable for modifying damage, and that is modifiedAmount...
This is indeed, nice system :)

I highly recommend u Damage Detection System by Cold Bone
Cold Bone's system isn't a damage detection system, its a damage setting system...

DDS detects damage events, while Cold Bone's system doesn't...

what it does is to allow you to set and obtain the damage value of a unit without using any DDS...

@OP:

For GUI, get Bribe's GUI Damage Engine

for vJASS, get Nestharus' system

Status
Not open for further replies.