• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Damage Detection Colors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
Alright I am creating a damage detection system for my map and sadly i do not know what the "best" colors are for the text that shows the damage such as;

melee damage dealt on enemy = "what color"
melee damage dealt on you = ""
ranged damage dealt on you = ""
spell damage dealt on enemy = ""
spell damage dealt on you = ""

If someone could please just point out the best colors that flow with each other to use for a system like this in the format i gave then they will be mentioned in credits and +rep.

Please and thanks again guys!

Well, to my eyes,
Melee: a color that is the average tone of all skin types. Melee is actually addressing close combat of physical contact and what can represent it better than the body itself? (in Warcraft III: |c00ff9933melee|r)
Ranged: Usually dealt by steel weapons or orbs that travel with the power of wind. Wind is always represented with grey color and so is any metal. (in Warcraft III: |c00ccccccRanged|r)
Spells: Linked with mana's color, it represents the spiritual energy spent on spell-casting. Lighter tone, for readability. (in Warcraft III: |c000099ffSpells|r)

I'd set the color of damage dealt to the enemies to red, because it will become really complicated afterwards (problems to become familiar and easily recognize each color).

P.S. Definitely not the right forum :p

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

melee damage dealt on enemy
melee damage dealt on you
ranged damage dealt on you
spell damage dealt on enemy
spell damage dealt on you

Just use different shades of red and blue. This is only IMO.

Bannar

Code Reviewer
Level 26
I always like spell damage as green one, melee as white and ranged as light yellow.
Although if you are going to use floating text for healing leave green for healing and use orange for spell damage.

For damage takes, I think you shoudln't manipulate with color palete much since if unit will be taking high amount of damage (meaning many sources at the same time) color spam will be ugly, although setting FT speed and angles can help here a lot.

Spell damage or Spell damage
Melee damage
Ranged damage << I use even brighter color.

I recommend you use this damage event, since it's pointless to create new system if there are already existing ones (and they are great), Weep's GDD can be replacement if you are used to it.

Level 12
Well, to my eyes,
Melee: a color that is the average tone of all skin types. Melee is actually addressing close combat of physical contact and what can represent it better than the body itself? (in Warcraft III: |c00ff9933melee|r)
Ranged: Usually dealt by steel weapons or orbs that travel with the power of wind. Wind is always represented with grey color and so is any metal. (in Warcraft III: |c00ccccccRanged|r)
Spells: Linked with mana's color, it represents the spiritual energy spent on spell-casting. Lighter tone, for readability. (in Warcraft III: |c000099ffSpells|r)

I'd set the color of damage dealt to the enemies to red, because it will become really complicated afterwards (problems to become familiar and easily recognize each color).

P.S. Definitely not the right forum :p

This is probably the colors ill use but are you sure about all damage just being red when you hit the enemys?

Oh and sorry i didnt really know which forum would be most suited for something like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.