• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

[Trigger] Begins Casting vs. Starts the Effect

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 4
What's the difference betwin "Begins casting an ability" and "Starts the effect of an ability"? Why doesn't the first one consume mana and start the cooldown? I've got a demo map of a jump spell with the "Begins casting..." as an event. I changed it to "Starts the effect..." so there would be cooldown and mana consumation but the spell goes crazy. The hero pauses for a second or two than blinks to the target location and then performes a jump in the same direction. So what is the difference betwin those two?

By the way is there a simple way to make a jump spell? The one I have is Hans_maulwurfs Jump spell. It has two triggers, couple of dummy units, two heroes and couple of custom abilities needed for that spell.

Level 4
Well I do believe "Begins casting an ability" is when you click an ability but have yet to select a target.

And "Starts the effect of an ability" is after a target has been chosen and all the buffs are applied and damage is dealt and so on.

I could be wrong tho.. maybe try the trigger list tutorial I will find it and give u a link..

Level 13
I don't think that there are many differences, but one important one:
You can 'stop' or give your units any orders after 'Begins casting an ability' so it's possible that your spell trigger triggers but the spell isn't on cd.
It's definitly NOT possible to stop a spell with 'Starts the effect of an ability', or yes you can stop it but it will have cd :)

Level 4
Yea, none of the tutorials on triggers on here or wc3c have an explaination of those specific events..

Level 28
Well i agree with Valdez.
As far as i know, 'Begins casting an ability' just runs exactly when you click on the ability you want to know.
'Starts the effect' is run when the ability it at its end.
I used 'Begins casting an ability' for more than 15 abilites and every single one works ^^

Level 9
"Begins casting" fires the trigger right before the caster start, so if for some reason it was stop (i.e. hit by a stun skill etc...) the trigger still takes effect and the spell will not be on cool down. "Starts effect" is right when the cool down starts so even if the unit is stopped the spell is on cool down. I prefer the 2nd one since it can't be abuse.

Try using the "begins casting an ability" then make a test trigger to stop that unit as soon as it starts and see if the damage/effect trigger fires. You can keep recasting the spell without having to wait for cool down.

Level 29
Do you have english problems ?

A unit begins casting a spell - when a unit begins to cast a spell.
A unit beings effects of spell - when the effects of the spell start.

Now, "A unit begins casting a spell" isn't suggested for almost all the abilities whatsoever, since a player can start casting and immediately order the unit to stop/move/whatever, and the trigger will still run.

Begins casting abiltiy is like, say with storm bolt, when you just click on the unit that your targeting. Starts the effect is when the projectile is created. NO DAMAGE HAS BEEN DONE AT THIS POINT!!!!!!1!!1!

With some abilitys, these have almost no difference, like beserk, but with most there is a .3 second delay between the two (I had to figure it out to make a spell).

Level 4
Yes, yes, yes but nobody is explaining why "Begins..." don't consume mana or start the cooldown? What's the use of it then?

Level 4
Begins is prior to the effect. If you begin casting an ability if there is a cast time or you need to select a target still then this would be the event you would use..

Level 1
The use would to be to do something before the spell starts. IE: A floating text saying the name of the spell.

Status
Not open for further replies.