• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

"Battlemasters" beta testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 10
[EDIT]
Uploaded v0.5 BETA. Check in this post.
Good players are welcome to test this map!!

Battlemasters
Hello!! I'm making a map called Battlemaster (and hopefully I'll make a campaign), a modern warfare/futuristic one. There will be 4 factions: USM, United Earth, Ghost Corporation and an alien race.
The game is quite different from the original Warcraft III: first of all, instead of Gold, Wood and Food there are Founds, Tech points and Units Cap. You gain Founds periodically by capturing strategic points located somewhere on the map; Tech Points are earned in a similar way but, instead of capturing strategic points, you have to build Tech buildings; Units Cap is raised by 25 by every strategic point you capture. You start with 25 unit cap (there's a maximum of 250), a 4 founds per second income and a 1 Tech point per second income.
Founds are used for creating structures and units while tech points are only used for researching.
Like I said, you have to capture strategic points for winning: you capture them by eliminating any enemy presence and then getting near; many of them are protected by neutral buildings such as bunkers and artillery emplacements that can be captured by infantry. Remember that if you leave them undefended the enemy will be able to take them too!
So this is how the game works; if you want to know a little more about Battlemasters or, if you're a modeler, what to know more about models ideas, check here: http://www.hiveworkshop.com/forums/...ristic-map-battlemasters-blazing-river-95205/

If you are interested, here are some userful hints about the two factions I'm making.
USM
Main concept
The USM is an aggressive and versatile faction. Every unit excels in more than one field so they are a formidable foe: their basic infantry unit, the marine, if used wisely and in big groups, can be a real match for armoured companies; the MLRS, their artillery unit, can shoot at air units too and its rockets follow their target, so every shot is a hit! The advanced units are even more powerful, but the structures are versatile too: the ADS tower can be upgraded to a multi-purpose tower armed with anti-infantry, AA and AT weapons! However, they must be used very wisely and not wasted: the EMP counterbattery cannon can stun vehicles for some time but that doesn't mean it will be able to hold the enemy alone: you must assemble a fast team and destroy the stunned artillery for making it really functional. So team play is very important and every unit must work together for victory!

United Earth
Main concept
The United Earth is a slow but very powerful faction, very good at defending: if the United Earth captures a strategic points, it will most probably be defended by powerful weaponj emplacement, tough tanks and lots of artillery. They have a cheap infantry, being able to expand and capture strategic points very quicly; most of the times you will be able to controll the most of the defence positions in the map before your opponet does. The United Earth has also lots of devastating units like the Trebuchet artillery, capable of levelling entire bases from a very long distance: its powerful rounds can destroy more than 5-6 tanks with a well placed shot! However, the United Earth is slow and its units lack of versatility: while the USM has artillery and AA merged in one unit, the MLRS, the United Earth must use Lizards for artillery and Perforators for AA power. It's infantry, while cheap, is also very weak and is no match for well organized infantry groups and armoured divisions. The goal that United Earth commanders must keep in mind is that they have to expand quickly, defend strongly and outshoot and outresource the enemy!

I have uploaded the version 0.55 BETA, just get it in the link and leave a post! =D
Post here if you need to ask something!!
BATTLEMASTERS v0.55BETA

Last edited:
Level 10
New screenshots

Here are some screenshot I made. You can see:
1- EMP counterbattery cannon attack, a defensive USM building which stuns enemy vehicles so they can be quickly and safely destroyed by other units.
2- A heavily defended strategic point attacked by enemy forces. While being outnumbered, the USM marines holding the strategic point won the battle thanks to the fortified positions they took control of.
3- Enemy vehicles being targeted by an airstrike (and you can see the Air control tower in the portrait - a lumbermill!!!). You can also see the SPMU mech "Hunter" in his stealth mode.
4- Enemy vehicles after 4 airstrikes. NOTE: at the end of the attack, all of my aircrafts were destroyed =D.

I've almost finished the "beta" USM faction, so I will soon start the United Earth one (that already has some units).

Attachments

• EMPCounterbatteryCannon.jpg
    EMPCounterbatteryCannon.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 171
  • StrategicPointDefence.jpg
    StrategicPointDefence.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 211
  • AirstrikeBefore.jpg
    AirstrikeBefore.jpg
    1,005.2 KB · Views: 162
  • AirstrikeAfter.jpg
    AirstrikeAfter.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 158
Last edited:
Level 10
Ok, here are some more screenshots. I now have a playable map with only the USM faction, here it is; just leave a post so I know who I can count on; there are no requirements for being beta testers: just try the map and leave fair and constructive comments =D.
In the screenshots you can see:
1- two veteran lieutenants calling an artillery strike on a USM base (note: they aren't in the playable BETA yet).
2- the ion cannon attack, the USM final weapon
3- Warhammer meches destroying lots of tanks by their own. These are what I call an "outresource unit": they're really powerful but their cost is veeeery high.

[EDIT]
I've uploaded version 0.41 BETA. Check into the first post.

Attachments

• ArtilleryStrike.jpg
    ArtilleryStrike.jpg
    1,006.7 KB · Views: 143
  • IonCannon.jpg
    IonCannon.jpg
    901 KB · Views: 101
  • Warhammers.jpg
    Warhammers.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 157
Last edited:
Level 10
Hey Crusad3r91 ,
Your map is cool , what could I say , and I think I want to be a beta tester , if you let me , because I'll test almost all corners :wink: Well , you decide.
Good Luck! I hope you will give an answer.

Feel free to download the map and test it.
I'm looking foward for your feedback! And thanks for deciding to become one of my beta testers!

Level 6
Crusad3r91, i tested it and for the first time it was very good :). So here're the results:
-DamagrTypeIcons: Rockets(sword) and Energy(arrow) icons should be changed
-BuildingTime: too many, i mean for the barracks should have less building time at least
-Icon: Assault Marine has a strange black squere on his icon :eek:
-Icon: Idle Workers' icon should be changed(peasent)
-Icon: non-imported units should have(maybe everything?) the same icon frame like the imported units have (it would be more beautiful:))
-Others: maybe tanks should get some damage after crossing the forest (i got suprised when i saw them moving across the forest destroying everything^^)
-Others: i think airstrikes should damage everything(damaging your land units too)

For now thats all for this test, ill test it again when you create the other races(without having a look at them i dont want to share some results^^)

and some words to Dieseldodge ^^:
what about testing together, maybe in 1v1 to test how balanced the races and the map itself; work and enjoy at the same time :)

Level 10
[EDIT]: answer to LightBloOD
Crusad3r91, i tested it and for the first time it was very good :). So here're the results:
-DamagrTypeIcons: Rockets(sword) and Energy(arrow) icons should be changed
-BuildingTime: too many, i mean for the barracks should have less building time at least
-Icon: Assault Marine has a strange black squere on his icon :eek:
-Icon: Idle Workers' icon should be changed(peasent)
-Icon: non-imported units should have(maybe everything?) the same icon frame like the imported units have (it would be more beautiful:))
-Others: maybe tanks should get some damage after crossing the forest (i got suprised when i saw them moving across the forest destroying everything^^)
-Others: i think airstrikes should damage everything(damaging your land units too)

For now thats all for this test, ill test it again when you create the other races(without having a look at them i dont want to share some results^^)

and some words to Dieseldodge ^^:
what about testing together, maybe in 1v1 to test how balanced the races and the map itself; work and enjoy at the same time :)

Thanks for testing my map!! About your hints:
1-I will make them as soon as I can ;)
2-Ok, I'll work on it as soon as I get more feedbacks
3-I don't see any black square... maybe you mean the gunsmoke? Or the marine's chest?
4-I will make one soon
5-I changed the icon frame because I believe they fit better with a modern warfare/futuristic set (I hope I'll get a new game console soon!); however, I'll probably change it from gold to grey.
6-Perhaps I'll just slow them a little bit, since trees are not recognised as obstacles and unit would pass through them if they think it would be a shorter way... it could be a bit annoying to see your mighty armoured division destroyed because it wanted to pass through some trees!!
7-Since airstrikes attack only specific target (they use aiming rockets for now) I don't think i would be a good idea making them attack your units ;)

Thanks again for your test!

[EDIT] New version avaiable
Uploaded version 0.41 BETA (check into the first post); fixed some bad mistakes I did:

v0.41 BETA
-[Fixed] now airstrikes start from the team side instead of team 2 side only
-[Fixed] some building descriptions were not complete: War factory (didn't say anything about Hunters and Defenders) and Ion cannon satellite link (wrong description)
-[Fixed] weird unit cap increase*

*Not fully tested, may not be completely fixed

NOTE: Every new version will now be uploaded into the first post.

[EDIT] More screenshots
Sorry for triple (arg) posting, but my internet didn't function for a whole day and I have something new ;).

The United Earth faction is almost done, I just need to make some more buildings and researches. I've uploaded some more images:
1-Broadsword helicopters, capable of destroying entire armoured companies with its rockets. However, it has weaker AntiAir capacities and will lose in a fight against a USM Raven.
2-Trebuchet artillery, the United Earth best artillery: slow, range of 4000 and its attack is something like 400 to 800...
3-The Nuclear missile launching pad, United Earth's final weapon (like the USM's Ion cannon satellite link), concept, made by me with Paint.NET.

I also have some ideas for the USM faction:
1-Marines drop pods (Air control tower ability): spawns 4 marines at the target location (with a drop pod)
2-Assault marines incendiary grenades: short range attack, only against buildings, capable of instantly killing any garrisoned unit into the target structure.
3-Mule jeep rocket launcher: the jeep can be upgraded with a rocket launcher, sacrificing its cargo with more firepower (Anti-Air? Anti-Tank? I don't know for now...)

Tell me what you think of these!
By the way: triggerers are allowed (and also welcome) to ask me (by PM) for my map for watching my triggers and tell me how they could be improved to be less leaking, more userful or less annoying.

Attachments

• Broadswords.jpg
    Broadswords.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 95
  • Trebuchets.jpg
    Trebuchets.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Level 18
Nice game you got here. I played it Single Player to check out the units and gameplay. There are very nice stuff in it, but also there were a few things that were strange.

Good things:
-The models matched the warfare type of game very good.
-The abilities available were effective, attractive and ofcourse destructive.
-The Strategic Points was a good idea to enter here.
-Replacing the resources made the game look more modern too.
-Destroying trees by riding over it with a vehicle was a nice addition.

Bad things:
-The buildings should be modern too, just like the units to create a complete modern look.
-The terrain might be done better. You can either go for a more desert-like look or for a more filled map. I suggest you add more trees to it, so people can create paths themselves and let their own strategic minds use that to give themselves an advantage.
-The Broadswords regular attack didn't have a attack sound at all.
-The infantry unit size was pretty small. Too small in my opinion. Also when a unit died it created a blood effect where 1 blood drop was bigger then the unit itself :gg:
-Last thing is the selection of the Broadswords. I tried to select a group of units, and I had to do effort to prevent the Broadsword to be selected too, which were far out of selection range.

With this said, I think the game is worth playing Multi Player (haven't played it Multi Player yet, but I will). Fix these little things and your map will be splendid! Personal rating: 3/5

Level 6
i downloaded the 0.5 but i could find the 2nd faction :O

also found some 'bug':
-after calling an airstrike, the plane appears beyond the enemy's base, and the plane kills his workers and im sure it would attack everything along his way not just in the location where he is called for(sorry for bad english)
-when i order a troop more than once to get into a bunker, the bunker will be mine forever - i had also have a problem when the bunker becomes neutral but the troop is still in..

funny :) but strange :(

Level 10
Answer to LightBloOD:
You can't find the 2nd faction? You should move to squad 1... anyway...
1-I thought I fixed it... I'll check it. (by the way, planes are actually created for attacking anything they see... they use aiming rockets for now, I may add carpet bombing or so later)
2-Check in the Known issues in the mission menu

Answer to Avator:
1-It's a bit hard to find modern warfare building that fit my needs... I maybe ask for some modelling help.
2-Sure :), the new version will have a more devastated aspect (craters and so)
3-Because you attacked a very near object: the Broadsword hasn't got an attack sound, the projectile has.
4-I did it for making them with the right proportions compared to tanks and vehicles... you're right about the blood pool, it's the same about tank tracks and footprints : (...
5-Selection is a little messed up since the game scale is reduced.

Thanks for your comments! Keep posting!!

[EDIT]
LightBloOD, are you sure you didn't played version 0.4? Because the airstrike issue was fixed in version 0.41...

[EDIT]
Version 0.55 BETA uploaded, check into the first post.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.