• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Battle Elephant

Battle/War Elephant model. Originally from my Favor mod.
Model, textures and Icons are made by me.
Been a Age of Empires and Warcraft fan for decades and figured a neat Elephant for the community wouldn't hurt.
Team color available. Custom icon available.
Please credit me if you use this model.

Enjoy!

Keywords:
elephant, animal, medieval, siege, war, battle, historical, age of empires
Previews
Contents

Battle Elephant (Model)

Battle Elephant Icon (Icon)

Reviews
General Frank
Works in-game and performs well. Awesome job!
Level 6
Great job dude. In my humble opinion Hive model's sector would benefit a lot from more different/exotic models like yours. When I look for human units what I get most is a massive amount of paladins and different approaches on making footmen and knights. I struggled for some time to build an Orc army for my map, because as I said there are a lot of grunts and blademasters. Also green-orcs seems to be in disavantage against their red fellows, so building a pure race roster becomes quite a challenge. I quite appreciate for example how @Gluma 's Lizardmen race has such diversity without mixing with other races and I would really like if he make more skaven units because they are awesome.

I don't want that my comment seems unfair since there are lot of creative models comming up every day in the community, my goal here is to inspire people to try unique models. Just like our friend's amazing elephant here. A small list of things modelers could go for: a chimaera, a cerberus, a lion (indeed a lot of animals are just missing maybe they are not interesting as other stuff), more variety on orc and human units, battle chariots, war engines that are not tanks (we have a lot of them thanks to @General Frank and others as well) and more.

Last but not least I personally think that these stuff should be vanilla-compatible as much as possible. This means that these models should use ingame textures and be modelled in a way they could be seen as part of the original game or a campaign unit from RoC or TFT to improve visual synergy. Again, I just want to inspire others to make stuff this way if they are already willing something of the sort, and not to underrate those who made paladins, footmen, blademasters and so on. The most important thing is that the community keep bringing life to new stuff be it a tank or an elephant, something completely new or a reimagination of an existing resource. Both are important to Hive and for modelers the more important is to be pleased with what you are doing. I hope my comment may inspire someone as much as this elephant inspired me to write this little wall of text. :D

Level 27
Definitely love this model, when I saw it in your Favor mod I thought it would be a very nice addition here :)

I am a little intimidated by the filesize, however.

I join @Wazzz. The filesize is 4x too huge for Warcraft 3 maps. I know the limit is now 128mb but it will make modest bandwidth (i'm talking about 50kb/s) download it faster.
Any plan to make an Elephant archer variant (with howdah) ?

I'll look into it, probably the animations taking a lot of space.

Edit:
The Texture is 500kb, it's a 512 x 512 texture I made because the Elephants in the mod I made are twice as large as all other units and required a large texture to not look pixelated.
I'm gonna see if I can compress it with some UV mapping and retexturing and get it down to 256 x256.
The model is optimized and I tried my best but it's hard to get it below 500kb.

Last edited:
Level 2
Great model!
Can you make some other versions with riders on the elephant? for example only controlling the elephant, or throwing javelin, or shooting arrows. Maybe with a cage/basket on it from where they shoot arrows. The elephant in itself is oke, but with a rider its more realistic and neat :)

Level 27
Great model!
Can you make some other versions with riders on the elephant? for example only controlling the elephant, or throwing javelin, or shooting arrows. Maybe with a cage/basket on it from where they shoot arrows. The elephant in itself is oke, but with a rider its more realistic and neat :)

The filesize is already a bit big and with the addition of a humanoid on top, it would require several versions or
else it'll look a bit strange with a medieval rider for a roman, middle eastern or fantasy race. We'll see if I'll add one or not.

Level 27
Impresive, I remember someone doing an Elephant with a Kodo skin and it looked deformed on the face. For something original as this, a nice optional could be the Creep version, a naked skin without armor and clothes.

From the rest, isn't going to be long before a 2D artist decides to do an undead version.

Kyrbi0

Arena Moderator
Level 44
Very nice! A proper lumbering pachyderm, and it even looks pretty Warcraft-y. I echo the filesize concerns but good job, man.

~wall o text~
I absolutely agree (especially the part about "filling out rosters" and "in-game textures"), and would love to see more stuff like this, as always. : ) Bring on the Chimeras, the Manticores, the Lions (HOW DO WE NOT HAVE A LION???)

Level 35
I absolutely agree (especially the part about "filling out rosters" and "in-game textures"), and would love to see more stuff like this, as always. : ) Bring on the Chimeras, the Manticores, the Lions (HOW DO WE NOT HAVE A LION???)

I'm always in constant bewilderment of some of the models we don't have on the site. Like Manticores, for instance, but also Unicorns? Such a lack of those, how do we even function.