• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Basic model edit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 3
Hi my lords, i wish you a merry christmas :)
This is my first message here (hope that i m in the good place :S).
So i want to create some units using icons as model : actually i m using the circle of power model to represent differents "skills" in mt map (sword, bow, hammer.....) , but i want to replace it by special icons that represent those sword, bow, hammer... I have created those icons, but i don't know how to import them AS A MODEL (not as icon /!\) in order to see them on map as a "unit". Any idea or clues ? :)

Shrrignien

Level 39
You could display them with some sort of image library (of which there are a couple, but they're all in JASS), or you can make the model from scratch. The latter is actually incredibly easy, as I figured out how to do it myself for a project with next to 0 modeling knowledge.

Essentially you need to use something like Milkshape to create a basic plane model. There is a 'basic shapes' library and plane is one of them; you can then reduce it in complexity to literally be 2 polies (delete a lot of the vertices). It doesn't matter at all how big it is, but if memory serves you'll have to rotate it 180° so the icon faces the same direction as the unit. Export as .MDL and open in war3modeleditor and you can then assign a texture to the plane. Pick your .blp icon and you're good to go.

I can upload my model to show you how I did it if you want, but it's Christmas and I'm with family. When I have access to my computer I'll try to attach it here.

Level 10
Download the file below. Make your icons as .blp files. Use Mdx Pather to open the model file, change its texture path into your icons' names and save it. My default texture file can be imported without changing its path.
Untitled.png
Copy more model files and change its texture path accordingly with your icons, you have multiple model files.

Attachments

• IconModel.rar
    48.5 KB · Views: 55
Level 3
Ok so, I tried your idea Artur, but i can't link the texture with the model, ofc i did what you said, but even your file don't work, when i open both (your defaut model and mine) this is what i see in warcraft viewer:
capture rapide.JPG
And in warcraft editor i just see the usual green and black cube.
Maybe it dont work cause of the pathing :
Here is yours : war3mapImported\Image.blp
here is mine : war3mapImported\swordskill.blp
Do i need to change the war3mapImported path ? If yes what should i replace ?

Anyway, thank you both of you guys :)

Edit : Ok obviously, i just removed the war3mapImported part and it worked ! thanks again :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.