1. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still haven't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Ride into the sunset with the 32nd Modeling Contest. The contest is optionally paired. Best of luck, people!
    Dismiss Notice
  4. This adventure has come to an end. Congratulate our heroes in the 16th Mini Mapping Contest Results.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. From the gates of hell, the 5th Special Effect Contest Results have emerged.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Bane - A "Hybrid RTS"

Discussion in 'Map Development' started by wereguy2, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Dezedor

Dezedor

Resources:
    Resources:
    Don't worry about the delay to much. We want a good map, not a rushed one. Take the time necesary, to do it properly.

2. Cyper95

Cyper95

Resources:
    Resources:
    this project sounds great
    May the mapmaking be with you.

3. wereguy2

wereguy2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Done a bit of the terrain, and have posted a screenshot.
    Yeah, I know I suck, but I will get someone to beautify it later :p

4. Dezedor

Dezedor

Resources:
    Resources:
    Based on what I've seen, I think this map will be work best at Local or Private games, rather that online.
    But then agian, most maps do.
    Anyway i like the terrain, as a rough skecht.
    I does not seem to be very gameplay focused, rather interesting and lively. Based on that I'm guessing this map will be entertaining and fun, rather than appealing to proffesional, play-to-win kind of gamers.
    Whether thats good or bad, is anyones guess. I, for one, like it.

5. wereguy2

wereguy2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Meh.

EDIT. Ok, I will not make any villages, just the town. This is because, if I do, there will not be enough space for players to build. D:
    After I upload the new version of the terrain, I will continue working on the units, and hopefully release a very early test-version.
    This will, however, be barely playable. :D

EDIT2. Uploaded a new map WIP, this one has much better annotation. A lot of it is subject to change, especially the underworld passage positions.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2009
  6. Zhall

Zhall

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Its august... And quarter 2 of 2010 could be as late as May... So.. 10 months (maximum) isnt long enough to pump out a wc3 map? Perhaps you should recalculate your workflow and move a bit faster...

7. Dezedor

Dezedor

Resources:
    Resources:
    Thats not necesarily a good idea. For most people wc3 mapping is a side hobby. Being busy usually means having almost no time for hobbies.
    Take for example my self. Half my day-hours spend at school. All my weekends booked up, every week, by friends and larp. Sparetime is use at eating, sleeping, homework and some hours of entertainment. That means that I normally have 1-2 hours in total each week, to do some actual work and a good part of that is spend remembering which exact data i was working on the time before.
    In other words, if you're busy a map can easily be in making for 10 month and cutting down on work time is often done at the cost of quality.

8. wereguy2

wereguy2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I do not set myself deadlines for warcraft mapping. Nor do I try to gauge the percentage of what I have done.
    I do not think that this hobby, for yes, that is indeed what it is, should make me feel pressured.

9. wereguy2

wereguy2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    New unit progress screenshot. Yes, I know there are two Knights, I will find a new model for one of them (Light Cavalry) later.
    This one is actually ingame too, mainly just to show off the awesome UI and cursor. :D

I will release a demo with some random creeps and the two Legendary Units I have (pretty much) completed - the Manipulator and Shadow Spawn.

10. Dreyus

Dreyus

Resources:
    Resources:
    this map look very complex and fun to play!

and also look like a lot of work D:

still, good luck with it! i really like the concept of it all!

i'm eager to see this! ^^

11. Silver_wing227

Silver_wing227

Resources:
    Resources:
    When will this be done. I wanna play it so bad now

12. wereguy2

wereguy2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Muahahahhaha!

UPDATE. Ok, I am hoping to release a demo version with a near-complete Manipulator, as well as most of the completed units.
    I have scrapped the Hide system, as it interferes with a lot of other things, such as magical invisibility etc.
    I have completed the majority of 24 basic units and, after the demo, I will finish making the Shadow Spawn.
    I am redesigning the tooltips, with a paragraph of practical information about the unit, and another with miscellaneous information.

UPDATE AGAIN. Awesome new banner :D
    Added information about what exactly will happen at the start of the game to the General Information section of the thread.

YET ANOTHER UPDATE :mad:. Added a bit to the Manipulator bit regarding Rituals, a new form of magic! :D

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  13. Silver_wing227

Silver_wing227

Resources:
    Resources:
    I would love to test the beta if possible. Any new information on the Infection race and the Manipulator, They sounds awsome :D.

{EDIT}
    Will the Infection race feature in the demo?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2009
  14. wereguy2

wereguy2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Yeah, there is more stuff on the Manipulator, who will feature in the upcoming demo which i hope to finish in a week or so.

{EDIT}
    Nope, haven't even started it, though all the planning is done.

15. Silver_wing227

Silver_wing227

Resources:
    Resources:
    so how is everything going along

16. wereguy2

wereguy2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I hope to release the demo version today. :D

EDIT. DONE! After a tiring day of brainstorming Silhouette ability ideas, I finally managed to finish!
    As I have said, this demo mainly features the Manipulator - minus several abilities - and some units.
    I will now either do the Infection race, or the Shadow Spawn...

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  17. Dezedor

Dezedor

Resources:
    Resources:
    Okay, I've had time to test this now, so here is my comments on the Manipulator.
    I think the concept is really great, and you're definately on the right path. However, I don't feel that this setup really utilizes the concept properly.
    Here is my suggestions on how to improve it.

I would like the Manipulator to be more... Manipulating. The Doombolt and Scrying are both nice abilities(Especially the last one), but none of them seem quite approiate.

The Domination spell is fine, so the Complete Domination(Convert) and the Kill spell, but i think you could do better. For example abilities like this:
    *Standard* -Domination (Fine as it is.)

Complete Domination (This would be better if it cost some mana. Maybe make a limit to how many could be converted at a time? Maybe a the cost could be decreased and the limit increased by leveling the ability?)

"Kill-spell" (This is to simple and boring for an ability. I think that the ONLY way the Manipulator should regain mana would be by using this ability. Something like "Add(number of units killed) to Manipulators Current Mana.". That would make it feel a lot more usefull)

*NOTE: The three above mentioned spells should be standard. Maybe levelable, but then the Manipulator should start with them all in lvl 1. Also DON'T have them in spellbooks if it can in any way be avoided. Having spell, especially standard spells, in spellbooks is annyoing and inefficient.*
    Maybe add a some different abilities that requires dominated victims to function. That would be great. I hope to be truly amazed by the end of this.

18. bureaulamp

bureaulamp

Resources:
    Resources:
    Hey wereguy2, Glad the demo is here and ofcourse i gave it a shot :)
    The manipulator looks really nice (Noticed the model from the campaign uhh.. dreamlords or something?) I was just leveling my manipulator and noticed that I could solo an entire army >:p , was this really his point?

Do you have any ideas how to solve this in the start of the game? because i think he can just manipulate someones entire base in start .. game over?

Will he be able to manipulate builders?

P.S. 2 more posts for an awesome post count :)

19. wereguy2

wereguy2

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Pretty good ideas, I will read them properly sometime tomorrow, as I am busy now.

{EDIT}
    No, he will not be able to manipulate builders, this would just make it stupid.
    I will probably give the Doombolt spell a cooldown.
    Lulz, 1234 posts.

EDIT. Ok, I am currently making some changes to the Manipulator. I am going to give the doombolt a longish cooldown (60s+5/Level) and a higher mana cost. It's maximum damage will also be drastically reduced to about 5+5/Level or even lower. It is pretty much his only form of personal defense (though he will have the Ritual of Summoning, which I will probably implement in the next update, as well as the Infection race).
    Scrying I will keep mostly the same, it is his way of subtly finding out where units to manipulate actually are, instead of running around looking for them, it fits his style.

I am not sure about the Complete Control thing, maybe I will limit the amount of units he can control using some sort of (level x 2) + 5 equation...
    Maybe I will make the Manipulation Menu abilities dependent on his level. This would mean that he does not have to actually spend ability points on them, but levelling would still influence their effects.
    For example, with the kill spell, i could do something like (Number of killed units x level/3) + 1...
    Units in warcraft do not have enough ability slots to make these regular abilities, so I will keep them on another units. The manipulator will be using a spellbook ability for his rituals, he would only use these every so-often anyway, so it wouldn't be much of a hassle.

EDIT AGAIN. Lol, the infection race, which I have made a surprising amount of progress on, is currently ridiculously overpowered. I will probably make killing an enemy unit only have a chance to spawn a new Infected unit.

20. bureaulamp

bureaulamp

Resources:
    Resources:
    You could also make it like , it spawns really weak units , or maybe really slow ones.. and you might combine them to make them stronger.. sounds like an infection to me and it will get rid of controlling masses of units if you dont want to.