• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!

Award icons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the award icons were the color of the spot the user won (gold/silver/bronze) and maybe varying in size, but were instead recognised by their shapes instead of the drawing, then' they'd have more impact.

A model compo #14 award would be some shape in gold, silver or bronze, for example. Gold would seem much more rewarding.

I think it's ok to the 3 of them gain the reward. But I'd suggest something different:
What about icon uniformization by category?

• Modelling Contests: Gold, Silver and Bronze sculpture
  • Mapping Contests: Gold, Silver and Bronze crossed compasses
  • Texturing Contests: Gold, Silver and Bronze painting pallettes
  • Phoenix Trials: Gold Silver and Bronze bird statues.
  • Animation Contests: Gold, Silver and Bronze marionette strings with cross sticks
  • Cinematic Contests: Gold, Silver and Bronze old tripod cameras.
  • Concept Art Contests: Gold, Silver and Bronze scrolls of paper with drawings
  • Emoticon Contests: Gold, Silver and Bronze roman theater masks. (comedy and tragedy thingy)
  • Terraining Contests: Gold, Silver and Bronze pick axe with dirt pile aside
  • Melee Contests: Gold, Silver and Bronze crossed swords.
  • Minigame Contests: Gold, Silver and Bronze dice.
I can try creating these icons for you if the idea is approved..
I just think that it's really messy the way it is, each icon with the victor's image.

What about we keep 1st color + gold borders, make 2nd greyscale + silver borders, and 3rd sepia + bronze borders?

I'm against all of the contests of a certain type having the same icon. Part of the reward is getting your entry on the award icon. :p

Who came up with the bright idea of diluting the meaning of the icon reward from the arena contests?.

I mean seriously, 3rd place? Runner up? Woo! Good job, you weren't good enough to win, here's an icon!
That would be me. xD

Level 24
Well, I wasn't very informative on my previous post as to what I really think about this recent change.
I think there are to many awards at the moment, that's for sure.
HappyCockroach's (HC's) idea sounds sweet to me, even though all model/any other contest contest awards would look the same.
I think a combination of only winner getting an award and HC's idea would be best.

I believe that we could keep the first 3 awarded with icons, since it's a human tradition to give medals to the best 3, a bronze one, a silver one and a golden one. Each one having an icon based on the category won't look too spammy neither will require much mouse-hovering.
We can make the first one more valuable in a noticeable way:

• First Place: Animated GIF trophy with shining lights.
  • Second Place: Still pretty but no animation in the trophy.
  • Third Place: Little contrast and darker trophy.
Because the border isn't very noticeable. At first glance, a person with 4 bronze awards looks 'more awarded' than one with 2 golden ones, with only different borders.

Well, it's the staff who does it usually and we wouldn't ask upon others to do the dirty work, unless they volunteered. Also, there's more to the process then uploading it. You have to get the image, apply the proper borders and dimensions, get one of the admins to upload it to the server, make the award icon, then give the award icon to the appropriate user.

You mean that it can only be made by the staff? Or they are lazy even to change the image paths after someone has done it?

I have a folder with all of the award icons in it. There are 380 files. Making all of the current award icons took about two days, and that was with zombie2279 helping me do half of them. :p

What about this though?

What about we keep 1st color + gold borders, make 2nd greyscale + silver borders, and 3rd sepia + bronze borders?

Level 34
Anyone else noticed that only 4 award icons can be shown below someone's avatar. Dionesiist for example, where are his first place texturing awards? :/ Or Pyritie, he's got 7 awards now. Maybe this wasn't such a great idea after all...

EDIT: Oh yeah, one more thing. Awards cannot be seen in the resource sections, when you post something. I noticed this long time ago, but I didn't know should I mention it or not.

I agree with the color idea. Because I can't really see whats gold/silver/bronze on those borders. Also i would like to see a small beakers colored with gold/silver/bronze with 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.

I'd like to see this sort of thing. It's a poor example (it was done fast, of course), but I think it demonstrates the idea well enough.

AwardIcons.png

See, I see your award colors. Wolf with a gold outline. Green thingy with a silver outline. Two bronze ones to the left.

The green one is a dragon.

Then maybe an award icon is warranted. Does someone even deserve a first place trophy if they were the only entrant and won by default?

I can see second and third place awards as justifiable in some cases, but for every contest? I don't think so.

Rewards can vary. This has happened in contests before. We had a really high number of entrants, so we gave 4th place a prize too. If the number of entrants is really low you can lower the number of prizes.

Level 26
I'd like to see this sort of thing. It's a poor example (it was done fast, of course), but I think it demonstrates the idea well enough.

AwardIcons.png

The green one is a dragon.

Rewards can vary. This has happened in contests before. We had a really high number of entrants, so we gave 4th place a prize too. If the number of entrants is really low you can lower the number of prizes.

Yeah, this is what I meant. But what about 1st place being full-color?

I also think the 1st place should have full color.

Status
Not open for further replies.