• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Award icon borders

Which award icon border do you prefer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, I've discussed this with elenai (since he likes it his way, and I don't, blah blah the usual), but I thought I'd ask the users first.

Which icon borders would you prefer?

Gold
Grey
modeling12.gif
modeling-contest-12.gif

If people prefer the gold ones, then all of the old award icons would be updated as well.

Last edited:
Level 35
That's it, I'm tired of trying to do nice things for this ungrateful site of tit sucking babies.

Have your crappy grey icons, I don't care anymore. Jealousy riddled political staff, insolent peons, constant complaining populace of sycophants.

Level 18
It's okay if you are done, but seriously why?

People have their opinions and they vote. God should we just put it in Mod Lobby and not to ask the users at all?

Did anyone offend or insult you? They just didn't like your work. It's not bad but IMO the current one is fine.

Seriously think about it, is this necessary? Someone likes it, someone doesn't, did you expect this: omg the gold one is soo goood! Omg we need the gold one.

:/ Take Hive a little less serious, and things may seem more positive.

Besides you have seven votes for your border aswell, you don't know how it will end, people are just expressing what they think. I hope that isn't forbidden, then I'm in the wrong place.

Level 14
Lioness said:
goddammit, why do you want to hide everything?
Because most people at this site like to show off and by virtue of hiding it, said individual effectively says that he or she doesn't care about the gaudy excess. It's just a nice way of saying that one doesn't want to be rewarded for what he or she does, he or she just wants to do it for the sake of doing it. If the Hive were less reward-driven, such a statement would not be necessary. It's not a problem either way, really.
bounty_hunter2 said:
God should we just put it in Mod Lobby and not to ask the users at all?
Heh, some things unfortunately never change.

Level 14
My honest opinion is that the icons are too small for the gold to look good. The gold is bright next to a typically dull icon image, resulting in it making the smaller image harder to see. With the gray, at least you can remotely figure out what the icon is even of. Note that this only applies to the icons under a user's reputation bar, not the one visible in the profile.

If the icons were larger under the user's reputation bar, I'd probably vote for the gold. That they are only 20x20 under the user's name means I prefer the gray. However, since consistency is more important, I say keep both icons gray-bordered.

Level 36
Because most people at this site like to show off and by virtue of hiding it, said individual effectively says that he or she doesn't care about the gaudy excess. It's just a nice way of saying that one doesn't want to be rewarded for what he or she does, he or she just wants to do it for the sake of doing it. If the Hive were less reward-driven, such a statement would not be necessary. It's not a problem either way, really.

Actually, at least in the case of disabling rep, people used THAT to show off that they are "too good for rep" or that they are "above petty trifles such as rep." No matter what you do, you will always get the moronic showoffs and there's not much you can do.

Oh, and:
354.jpg

Level 14
~Void~ said:
Actually, at least in the case of disabling rep, people used THAT to show off that they are "too good for rep" or that they are "above petty trifles such as rep.
Those are the people where you remove the ability for them to disable it in the first place. At one point, you had to be a good human being (or at least not be a prick/rule-breaker/etc.) to be able to disable it.

Actually, at least in the case of disabling rep, people used THAT to show off that they are "too good for rep" or that they are "above petty trifles such as rep." No matter what you do, you will always get the moronic showoffs and there's not much you can do.

That's not the case with everyone. I, for one, think reputation is just stupid. It makes a moron out of everyone, even myself, and makes people pull stupid stunts so they get massive amounts of reputation. It's a joke. That's why I had mine disabled.

As Dusk said, if people do this then you strip them of their powers.

Level 27
My honest opinion is that the icons are too small for the gold to look good.
Is that what those things under the rep are? :p

Gold fits with the theme. Where the big icons are used, gold borders fit. Where he small icons are used, I can't make head or tails of it gray or gold, but the gold would fit more with the theme anyway. If it doesn't fit with the icon inside the border, we could tweak the icons to fit inside the border. But really, the small ones are too small for any sort of purpose. Maybe under the rep we could have a single dedicated image to show that a user has won a contest, and you can see which one(s) by going to the profile.

Why don't we just use scalable vector graphics?

Mm, vector won't work very well if we were using WC3 borders. Possibly with the gold ones, since those aren't as "textured", but still.

What about using gold borders for the big icons but grey borders for the small icons?

Mm, vector won't work very well if we were using WC3 borders. Possibly with the gold ones, since those aren't as "textured", but still.

What about using gold borders for the big icons but grey borders for the small icons?

That would be really unified don't you think? If you want to have them then make then equal coloured.

Level 7
I think gold looks better, and also looks more Warcraft-y.

Comparing the icons side by side, I think the grey just looks..boring.

Level 27
Why don't we just use scalable vector graphics?
Because browser support for that is limited. :(
If you mean server side, then sure. :p
That's what, you know, the icon is for. The border is so that it just isn't an abrupt change.
Or, as per most of the rest of the theme, the point of the border is to stand out.
just test it and see how it looks
I suppose you also want us to give peace a chance. And sit around the camp fire, laughing and playing and making S'mores. And in the morning you'll take us to the beach. And teach us to swim. And then you'll take us all out to ice cream. And we'll see that movie we've all been wanting to see. By the end of the weekend, we'll be so funned out, we wont be able to do anything more than slide our hands around. And you know what will happen then? We'll have to look at the new borders. I can see your plan right down to the mint chocolate chip.

*BUMP*

Alright, so here's what we're going to do. We (the staff, mostly) are going to be giving out more award icons in exchange for (possibly) less reputation as rewards. I whipped up some borders. You'll notice that I made ones for the 20x20 icons as well - normally the 20x20 ones have blurry borders and I thought I might as well make nice ones.

Yes, if you got 2nd or 3rd in a past contest you'll get icons as well.
We're still debating on whether less serious contests (such as the comic contest and whatnot) should get these as rewards.

I'm also going to redo a lot of the old icons, so for art contests (modelling, skinning, etc) the icon is a screenshot of the winning entry. Yes, this includes terraining. :p

1st
gold40x40.png

gold20x20.png

2nd
silver40x40.png

silver20x20.png

3rd
bronze40x40.png

bronze20x20.png

Misc (donors, respected users, etc)
misc40x40.png

misc20x20.png