• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Avatar skin: is this approvable?

Submit?

• Yeah

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Nah

Votes: 4 57.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 12
So i eventually decided to make a skin for the Avatar in my map. The model it will wrap on is an edit of the demon hunter from Misha, but it may aswell go on a DH.

Is it good enough to submit in skins section or what should i change?
JPEG%20avatar%20jake%20sully%202.6.jpg

JPEG%20avatar%20jake%20sully%202.6%20front.jpg

JPEG%20avatar%20jake%20sully%202.6%20back.jpg

JPEG%20avatar%20jake%20sully%202.6%20left.jpg

JPEG%20avatar%20jake%20sully%202.6%20right.jpg

JPEG%20avatar%20jake%20sully%202.6%20yoga.jpg

800px-Jakeritual.jpg

800px-Toruk_Makto_3.jpg

Last edited:

Deleted member 177737

D

Deleted member 177737

It looks good, but as stated above it's to blurry & it looks more like a water-color painting than a skin (mainly the body area.)

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

There's too much evident use of filters, too little is changed, the wrapping (particularly the face) needs some more work and the overall look of it in-game is blurry and undefined.

I like the pockets though, and I guess the idea is OK. You should probably put more emphasis on those tribal markings, as they seem to just be irregularities in shading at the moment, like his skin is bumped in waves. It's hard to get the eyes right on the DH, but take a look at other, approved textures for the DH with eyes and try to make yours similar. You should definitely change the parts you've left untouched, even if it just means making essentially the same thing again, but with your own hands. You have to shade the pants some more and freehand the fabric instead of using filters.

Conclusion: No, this would not be approved.

lol @ dumpbucket filter on the pants. And personally, i think that the concept behind the skin isn't changed at all. Its just a Demon Hunter that can see and has different skin. Altogether, NOT enough freehand. There isn't much more to say about it i it doesn't follow the rules, and the freehand clearly doesn't surpass, 75% of the skin.

Level 12
Okay i see i was right to not upload this yet to the skins section then.

I am worried about the "tribal markings" though, those were supposed to be the darker blue stripes of a na'vi skin, but according to your comments, it seems like they're not showing up as that, at all. What did i do wrong there, and is there any trick that could fix this without necessitating re-drawing them all from scratch again?

EDIT: added reference pictures to illustrate ^this.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

You shouldn't use tricks (too much) to achieve what you want with less effort. You need the practise either way. Now, what I suggest for the tribal markings is to make them even darker and you can add a subtle dark edge to them as well (as you see on the references you posted). You could also play a little with the hues to make them stand out more. Good luck!

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

The dominant wavelength of a color. Also known as "chromaticity." A color system (color space, color model) measures color by hue, saturation and luminance. The hue is the predominant color, the saturation is the color intensity (from white to pure color), and the luminance is the brightness (from light to dark).

Pick up your brush, find the colour of the Na'vi's skin, paint with it. Then for the marks, use a slightly different hue of colour. That's what I'm trying to say.

Level 12
Well that's what i did :O i copied the color of 1 pixel of the blue navi skin from the reference picture and filled the selection with that. Then i did the same for 1 pixel of the darker stripes and drew them all with a smooth brush, and after that i applied shading and stuff.
But from what you quoted, i think hue/saturation/luminance applied over the whole selection should fix the skin.

Deleted member 157129

D

Deleted member 157129

The markings need to be darker and sharper (don't use a soft brush, use a hard one).

Status
Not open for further replies.