• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

This bundle is marked as high quality. It exceeds standards and is highly desirable.

Long Bla-Bla part:

This campaign was initially intended to be a classical blizzard-type campaign, where you controll a custom race of Ice-Trolls. I decided to experiment a little with each level, and i redid a large part of the campaign as I got better at map making. As a result the levels range from base-constructing-strategy to multi-level dungeons to more quest like levels with mini games and puzzles. Most maps should be rather easy, as long as you stick to the proper strategy.

All maps in this campaign are completed and after several updates the campaign is slowly beginning to crawl it's way out of beta. Due to the complexity of the many custom spells there may still be bugs left though.
Don't hesitate to post comments, criticism or random thoughts below. I love to hear about your experience playing this campaign and it will greatly improve my skills as a map maker. I will continue updating this campaign as more bugs and suggestions are reported. I feel that with this update, most maps have taken on their final shape and I will direct my energy towards a new project: Avatar of Forest.

This campaign is unprotected: Remember that when you mess things up in the editor the maps might crash and all that jass.. Skipping the story might leave you more confused than John Locke after watching the Orientation video.. If you plan on using large chunks of the map then please have the courtisy of making a very cool map and allowing me to play it :) and so on..

Short

This is a beta-version. Be sure to check for updates.

Story

Dagar, an Ice Mage of Dalaran, follows a vision to the icy continent of Northrend; entering in the footsteps of an ancient demon called Boreas. Tuskarr legends state that this demon sealed a tremendous power in a hidden Oasis. Unfortunately Dagar is not the only one interested in this Boreas as a mysterious army of demons appears through the long forgotten waygates..

Aided by a band of local Icetrolls, Dagar begins to realize that his destiny is irreversably connected to the fate of Boreas, and as the adventure evolves, he learns that there might be more at stake than initially assumed.

Icetroll Race

The Ice Trolls perform better in the company of other tribe members, wards or the comfort of their camp, using their signature ability: Tribalism. The trolls can be upgraded with mounts or special items that enable secondary abilities such as lifesteal or ensnare. More heavy units can use Hibernate to regain Hp, Endure strong hits and boost their attack at low hp. During the campaign you will visit a variety of their icy settlements, from the icetroll fortress to freezing your own goldmine and camp.

Demon Army

The demons can boost their power by possession of souls; the demoness beeing the main agent of soul stealing. A soul boosts attack and enhances certain soul based abilities.
Demon camps are minimal, with a gate connecting to the demon world and one to the twisted nether. A sacrificial pit can be used to recycle units or summon storms.

Screens:

ingame.jpg

cinematic.jpg

minigame.jpg

camp.jpg

undergroundc.jpg

demonso.jpg

fortress.jpg

What's new?

The campaign has undergone dramatic changes since it's initial release. Where the second release had updated tooltips, dialog and cinematic skips and the third had revisions of the middle chapters and easter eggs, this lastest update is primarily focussed on improving the AI and the final two chapters. I have tried to reshape them into a more worthy end of the campaign and I hope I archieved that. I have also enabled variable difficulty levels. Note that hard will enable a better AI and will be significantly harder than easy in some levels.

As you may notice: the campaign buttons are now hidden. You can solve this problem by typing the cheat RevealAllCampaignButtons in the Melee Bonus Map or in Chapter one. The gamecache will then enable you to play all levels with your previously stored heroes, although some items may be changed.

Chapters 7 and 8 have been improved significantly this update! Please update if you have an older version.

- Fixed 1001 small things not worth mentioning.
- Added comments and pings to make the quests clearer.
- Removed the most annoying soundclips (but decided to keep some in)
- Brushed up some of the Dialog. There are still some typo's left for those who are really into that..
- Added "hardmode" cheat to Chapter 2/4 and 6 to increase the AI diffculty to insane.
- First attempt of balancing the AI a bit more.
- A small tooltip revision was done as requested.
- The melee bonus map got a little make over and some easter eggs.
- Countered critical bugs in Warclub and Endure.
- Redone Rage and Tribalism to counter a strange slowing of units.
- Added Snowcloak ability for Ogre of Ice
- The Chieftain can now cast Bladestorm in a group of 8 trolls.
- Added new easter eggs such as Robe of Boreas, Ancient Turtle, IceBolt etc
- Skinned the campaign screen :) (Although a bit ugly..)

- Fixed errors in cinematic skips
- Fixed native troll race and techtree
- Added a unique cheat in chapter 6 enabling a secret hero and an alternate story.
- Improved the icebolt system a bit
- I tried to balance the AI a bit better
- Added a new puzzle in chapter 6
- Added custom cheats, available as easter eggs or in the final map.
- Countered critical bugs, allthough the mass freezing of units in chapter 6, II may still cause errors.. If this occurs, please type "debug" after Boreas morphs into the avatar, as it should help.
- Optimized the triggers a bit more.
- -------------------------------------
- Version 1.03b fixes critical bugs in chapters 4 and 5. I disabled the wrong triggers.. D'OH!
- Minor fixes as I was working anyways.

- Enabled variable difficulties for each level.
- Lowered the Tribalism treshholds to promote the quest levels.
- Added several hints and comments based on reports by new players.
- Fixed the Icebolt upgrades in Chapters 3, 7 and 8.
- Fixed a bug in the melee map dialog.
- Redid the AI in Chapters 4, 6 and 7 to variable timed attack waves.
- The AI is now compatible with variable difficulties.
- Improved Chapter 8 terrain to a more epic oasis.
- Added optional quests to Chapter 8.
- Fixed the bug that prevented Alvar from appearing this chapter.
- Improved the Chapter 7 terrain to promote the chapters strategy of expansion and make the map feel more structured.
- Replaced this chapters third quest by a series of spawning events.
- Added some structure to the 2nd chapter terrain.
-----------------------------------------------------------
- Replaced Chain- to Forked- Lightning, removing a faulty trigger.
- Made the Tuskarr AI in Chapter 1 attack less frequently
- Fixed minor bugs mentioned below.

Hints:

This section contains some hints regarding the strategy for each level, small spoilers ahead..

Chapter one: The food limit and available resources are limited; try to keep your units alive by adding items, buying upgrades or buying mounts from the beastiary. The tuskarr can be recruited as an ally after completing that quest. The demon forces will not launch an attack on your base before you enter their base in the far Northwest corner of the map.

Chapter two: Scavenge the woods for usefull items. If you engage in combat an alarm will sound attracting guards. The generators require a specific strategy to take down. You may lure the guards away, disable them with Freeze or Bash or deal secondary damage to the Generators using specific items. Be creative. In the second part: Try to abuse the Tribalism ability by clustering your troops. Use the "hardmode" cheat for a greater challenge.

Chapter three: Have Dagar enter a cave to move up or down in the dungeon. There are several extra's to be found in the optional quests/puzzles. If you can find 5 of the seven coins Knobbs the Merchant will appear near the fountain in the upper mountains. You can get the Robe of Boreas near the Shadow Demon in the Ruins.

Chapter four: Try to push an early attack with both heroes. When you've researched enough you can have Dagar cast a spell at the well in exchange for more time and the highest upgrade tier. At certain locations Dagar has a special frostbullet ability, you can use it to flip switches across water. These bullets can be controlled as in the Chapter 1 Minigame.

Chapter five: This is were you get creative, the circles of power represent mini puzzles that you can solve by casting a Hero/Unit ór Item ability in the circle, in few cases you might even place an item directly into the circle. These special puzzles are not limited to the circles and secondary effects occur at other places as well. If you can think of something so creative that it doesn't work, but you think it should, please PM me an I might put it in!! Blue Fire needs a buff, Magic things need to be de-magiced, switches need pressure and certain lakes can be targeted (look for the obvious). More explicit hint can be found somewhere in the blabla of the comments.

Chapter six: Use part I to obtain the proper items/hero for part II. Note that you don't need to destroy the camps directly, use diversions to sneak into the catacombs, or certain items (there are shops in both parts). If you had completed the natives quest in part I, you will gain a powerfull ally in part II. On replay there will be a special easter egg in part one that enables you to clear the fire. Also a series of cheats is available in the part II treasure room that enable a secret hero.

Chapter seven: Again, you may opt for stealth and early raids to provide fast results. You can let the demons do the dirty work while you set up camp. If Brutus enters a circle of power you will have two minutes to kill him before you lose the game. Try to fortify the second gold-mine and the one east of the basecamp in the beginning to avoid expanding during the second part.

Chapter eight: You can take items from previous quests to kill the bosses, or look around in this map. Defrost and kill the undead heroes to gain extra time. There is a hidden laboratory to provide you with extra sappers halfway. To deal with the distance you can upgrade your troops with items or go back in the beginning. Destroy the iceblocks to kill undead on the spot, so you don't have to deal with them later on and get some easy gold to buy units in the beginning.

Note that Ragnar, Tricksah and Torga may ferry items to the next level if you manage to keep them alive.
[/list]

Credits:

MODELS: WillTheAlmighty, Gottfrei, Amigurumi, Pyritie, DonDustin, Hawking, DanvanOlhus, Mc!, Illidan(evil)X,Kitabatake, Chillakilla, MeteORA, Calahan, Happy Tauren, Hellblazer-14, Happy Cockroach, Skizzik, Weep, Sellenisko. And YAY for the UTM :)

ICONS: Mr. Goblin, Army-of-Pandas, Crazy Russian (Many)
Juan_Ann, Lieutang, cedi, Kershbob, Sundance, FrIky, alfred_totn, NmSAM66, The_Avenger's_Return, LiOneSS, BlackDoom, THe Silent, Tonic, VaLkYrOn, Stanakin Skywalker, Paladon, Kitabatake, NFWar, WoW.

SKINS:
MountainGiant - FrIky
Herobloodelf - Hueter
Skullsplinter - Juice_F/Norinrad
Warlock - Afroknight_76

CRITICAL FEEDBACK & MAPTESTING:
Cleavinghammer, Worstcase, Turnro, Supertoinkz, Forsaken_Ranger and many more.

NOTICE

The campaign was suffering from random crashes on latest patches. The issue has been fixed. See this post for information plus the newly saved and attached file (patch 1.30.4).

Keywords:
Troll, Icetroll, Dagar, Northrend, Avatar, Avatar of Ice, Zulzujas, Ice, Cold, Campaign, Arctic, IcyMapMaker
Contents

Reviews
14:32, 1st Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Approved
Level 6
This campaign is pretty amazing I have to say. I have found a bug though. In the Melee map arena, the computer doesn't do anything. Rarely, it collects only gold and lumber and that's about it. It would really be cool, if this issue might be corrected.

Level 1
after the first stage the map does not move on.actually it does not make any difference , it goes to the same place

Level 1
Why is chapter 1 black screen? I can control the hero and all but i can't see anything but utter blackness. Could you please fix it?

Level 2
Great camp so far!

Just one question. How the heck are you supposed to get the frost orb on the first map? I feel like a complete idiot but there seams to be no way to get over to the island and press the button.

I have tried attacking it and walking there with a polar bear. Nothing happens and I have no other amphibious units? It's driving me crazy! :ogre_rage:

Level 8
Great camp so far!

Just one question. How the heck are you supposed to get the frost orb on the first map? I feel like a complete idiot but there seams to be no way to get over to the island and press the button.

I have tried attacking it and walking there with a polar bear. Nothing happens and I have no other amphibious units? It's driving me crazy!

Hmm, yeah, so here's the thing.. You were supposed to use the owl for now.. I was going to make an icy bridge that you can freeze using the icicle staff. I guess i forgot about it, i'll place it in an update somewhere. Kudo's for trying though..

@Slymox: I've never heard of this bug before.. I'm guessing one of the masks hasn't reset after the minigame. Maybe you can use the iseedeadpeople cheat to counter the bug.

@ azgalore: Does it prevent you from completing chapter 1? Then check if you have the newest version.. Else: Chapter 3 will start in a different place for each route chosen. It's not a huge difference, but it will make the chapter harder if you start on the left.

Level 1
The campaign as a whole is quite good, but it crashes continuously... Map 4, Map 5... Is there anything I can do to avoid this inconvenient?
Thank you :)

Level 8
Thanks for the comment. I am aware of the crashes and will update this campaign somewhere next month. The heart of the problem lies in the many triggers that I used to make up for my crappy modelling and spell making ideas.

- I will model the mounts to remove the consuming mount system.
- I will replace Endure, Conversion Jolt and possibly Pressure by new triggers/spells.
- I will add a stun order to the freeze system, as I think there is a problem there.. The AI seems to really dislike it :(
- I will implement a more advanced weather system.

It's just that this will take me quite a large chunk of time and skill (which is only slowly advancing..).

Level 8
The mount ability will stay. But the triggers allowed me to create mounted units without having to model.. It's a dummy unit that is coupled to a beast and moved every 0.02 sec. The dummy attacks if the unit attacks etc.. it's quite well triggered, but apparenly not for a project of this scale..

As for the weather I plan to create more stuff like the Ice Ogre's Snow Cloak that decreases damage by 12 in snowstorms. Was thinking to add snow-evasion to normal wolves, double blizzard damage etc. Most stuff like that will be in my melee race too (but with sun and rain).

Level 2
Good Campaign but there are some bugs for example in the first chapter i killed 3 furblog champions but then:fp: fisherman did not talk to me.

Last edited:
Level 1
at chapter 3 i cant get the last coin... coz i cant open the door or break it its right there whre the wolf and priest are captured and i dont see any lever around... can any1 help me:)

Level 8
at chapter 3 i cant get the last coin... coz i cant open the door or break it its right there whre the wolf and priest are captured and i dont see any lever around... can any1 help me:)

Lol, had to think about this for a sec. On the top of my head: If you mean the treasure room in the southwest (the metal door), there is a sequence of levers in the abomination experiment room in the northeast corner. (You have to kill the iceblocks berfore you can flip the lever, there is a specific sequence for the levers around. Kudo's on getting the other six!

Level 1
oo thanks vrm Sage:) i will try again... i was thought from there its something but i wasnt sure and i like the game wich its there:)

Level 8
You caught a little bug there. The triggers assume you get the artifacts before killing all the undead. If you do kill most undead the game will immediately run the cut-scene (the land becoming snow). I must have forgotten to turn a camera on or something like that. I'll fix it in the next update.

Level 7
What a great campaign, I played only the first four chapters so far, but I'm truly impressed. I had an idea about an ice troll campaign some time ago but I abandoned the project unfortunately. Anyways great backstory :thumbs_up:

I don't know if this was posted before, but there's a bug in chapter six part one: If you select one hero and then decline it the first quest gets completed already and you can control 2 Boreas and several demons from the start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Level 1
chapter 3

hello! thx for the campaign great job:)
i just think i caught a bug in ch3
the book of tuskarr drops when you had all 8 emerald stones
and if some other unit takes the book, it cannot drop,
while it is like that, when you stand in front of a statue(circle of power) tuskarr book's counter doesn't increase..

i think i cleared everything on the map except the kobolds at the far north west
and except the taskmaster but i could't finish the level..

btw,
great job again thx

Level 8
^^ Yes, the book is not supposed be droppable, because it would screw up the (vital) notebook count. The emerald trigger drops the item in slot x; I hadn't realized it could drop the tuskarr book aswell. To all players: Don't give the book to any other unit than Dagar!

glad you like the campaign so far ;)

Level 1
Although this map give me some hardship (fatal error, some minor bugs), it's a great campaign. And when will avatar of forest release? I eagerly anticipate. I want this map to translate into Korean. Can I?

Level 1
Thanks for the campaign :D, it's great.
But I got problems at chapter 3 lol, I have already searched everywhere and finished almost all quests(except the chieftain and the taskmaster), still the chieftain can't be found.
More, the taskmaster mentioned in the optional quest means the one at the east of cave?
But that's invulnerable lol...
One more thing, how to unlock the door at the northwest of the cave?
These problems troubled me for a long time lol... still troubled with it XD

Level 1
Great! But The Level Where you play as Alvar (The Yeti Elder) When you Fight The Pit Lord
HOW MANY AVALANCES DO YOU NEED Cause i just stayed 5 hours
50 Battle Cry Then Nothing Happens Well Great I Just Vote it 10/10

Level 1
Some problems on chapter 5 lol...
I have met quite a number of fatal errors these days, causing WarcraftIII being shut down.
Is that a bug? While some enemy cast spells, error appears.

Level 3
i had problems with a few things.... When i bought a Mammoth i couldnt get them out because of the animal guy walking around and i had to kill him for them to get out you should make him invulnerable, also the troll sapper he blew up on the spot..... also sometimes when i use the ship i stay in the sameplace even though the cameras move, also i agree with cleaving hammer Azula should be made bigger and possibly with a different model... thats as far as i got cuz i ended the game after i accidentaly killed the animal dude, and one more thing... can you revive Ragnar? other than this it's a great campaign (First level anyway :( )

deepstrasz

Map Reviewer
Level 68
Interesting but...

-Unit transition between levels bugs me. It would've been cooler if all of the units on that map came along with you not just those near the entrances. The maximum number of units to be translocated is 9 besides the hero and Ragnar. There is also a random choosing of units to be left behind when you bring all of your units to an entrance. Maybe a ask/choose system for level to level transition ? Highlighting the entrances on the minimap after you discover them would be nice.
-Frostbite affects your units as well after it busts from an enemy unit. The same with Frost Bullet.
-Cinematic dialogues annoy when they are continued with the same phrase plus some more instead of a total change of lines. Some grammar mistakes that should be fixed too.
-The Golems in that level should be invulnerable or activate on attack.
-The Elusive Kobold Taskmaster is invulnerable.
-The game crashes most of the time at the encounter with an Eredar Sorcerrer in the Meltdown cinematic. This happens in the next level with Alvar Snowmane too. Permanent game crash when loading a game near the bridge with undead on the first chapter of Boreas' Past (Eredar Sorcerrer included, maybe it's the same problem as above).

Overall a good campaign.

Level 3
Note: When starting a new speech for a unit during a cinematic, be sure not to mkake them repeat what they say.(e.g: Then the demon died. Then..... Then the demon died. It is a small but hopeful victory for allof us.)

Level 2
How the HELL do I get to the Southern Island on chapter 1??!? HOW?! And how do I build a small encampment (on the southern Island) ? And where is the mammoth ranch from which I am supposed to be able to buy mounts?? And where is the darkspear tribe from which I need to recruit icetrolls???!!!
Come on dude, provide some information in the map ffs. It does not show how to do any of that stuff that needs to be done :(

Level 2
I can only find 2 circles of power to kill the sea monsters. One, near the start of the sea monsters quest, and 2 at the very north, and slightly east of the map. But where is the third circle of power from which to lure the final sea monster?

Last edited: