1. Are you planning to upload your awesome map to Hive? Please review the rules here.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Updated Resource Submission Rules: All model & skin resource submissions must now include an in-game screenshot. This is to help speed up the moderation process and to show how the model and/or texture looks like from the in-game camera.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. DID YOU KNOW - That you can unlock new rank icons by posting on the forums or winning contests? Click here to customize your rank or read our User Rank Policy to see a list of ranks that you can unlock. Have you won a contest and still havn't received your rank award? Then please contact the administration.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. We have recently started the 16th edition of the Mini Mapping Contest. The theme is mini RPG. Do check it out and have fun.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Choose your ride to damnation in the 5th Special Effect Contest Poll.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. The winners of the 13th Techtree Contest have been announced!
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The 13th Music Contest Poll is up! Vote for the best tracks in this symphony of frost and flame.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. Race against the odds and Reforge, Don't Refund. The 14th Techtree Contest has begun!
    Dismiss Notice
  9. Check out the Staff job openings thread.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
60,000 passwords have been reset on July 8, 2019. If you cannot login, read this.

Submitted by Sage Chow
This bundle is marked as approved. It works and satisfies the submission rules.

Long Bla-Bla part:

This campaign was initially intended to be a classical blizzard-type campaign, where you controll a custom race of Ice-Trolls. I decided to experiment a little with each level, and i redid a large part of the campaign as I got better at map making. As a result the levels range from base-constructing-strategy to multi-level dungeons to more quest like levels with mini games and puzzles. Most maps should be rather easy, as long as you stick to the proper strategy.

All maps in this campaign are completed and after several updates the campaign is slowly beginning to crawl it's way out of beta. Due to the complexity of the many custom spells there may still be bugs left though.
Don't hesitate to post comments, criticism or random thoughts below. I love to hear about your experience playing this campaign and it will greatly improve my skills as a map maker. I will continue updating this campaign as more bugs and suggestions are reported. I feel that with this update, most maps have taken on their final shape and I will direct my energy towards a new project: Avatar of Forest.

This campaign is unprotected: Remember that when you mess things up in the editor the maps might crash and all that jass.. Skipping the story might leave you more confused than John Locke after watching the Orientation video.. If you plan on using large chunks of the map then please have the courtisy of making a very cool map and allowing me to play it :) and so on..

Short

This is a beta-version. Be sure to check for updates.

Story

Dagar, an Ice Mage of Dalaran, follows a vision to the icy continent of Northrend; entering in the footsteps of an ancient demon called Boreas. Tuskarr legends state that this demon sealed a tremendous power in a hidden Oasis. Unfortunately Dagar is not the only one interested in this Boreas as a mysterious army of demons appears through the long forgotten waygates..

Aided by a band of local Icetrolls, Dagar begins to realize that his destiny is irreversably connected to the fate of Boreas, and as the adventure evolves, he learns that there might be more at stake than initially assumed.

Icetroll Race

The Ice Trolls perform better in the company of other tribe members, wards or the comfort of their camp, using their signature ability: Tribalism. The trolls can be upgraded with mounts or special items that enable secondary abilities such as lifesteal or ensnare. More heavy units can use Hibernate to regain Hp, Endure strong hits and boost their attack at low hp. During the campaign you will visit a variety of their icy settlements, from the icetroll fortress to freezing your own goldmine and camp.

Demon Army

The demons can boost their power by possession of souls; the demoness beeing the main agent of soul stealing. A soul boosts attack and enhances certain soul based abilities.
Demon camps are minimal, with a gate connecting to the demon world and one to the twisted nether. A sacrificial pit can be used to recycle units or summon storms.

Screens:

Reveal the dumb screens:

[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]
[​IMG]

What's new?

The campaign has undergone dramatic changes since it's initial release. Where the second release had updated tooltips, dialog and cinematic skips and the third had revisions of the middle chapters and easter eggs, this lastest update is primarily focussed on improving the AI and the final two chapters. I have tried to reshape them into a more worthy end of the campaign and I hope I archieved that. I have also enabled variable difficulty levels. Note that hard will enable a better AI and will be significantly harder than easy in some levels.

As you may notice: the campaign buttons are now hidden. You can solve this problem by typing the cheat RevealAllCampaignButtons in the Melee Bonus Map or in Chapter one. The gamecache will then enable you to play all levels with your previously stored heroes, although some items may be changed.

Chapters 7 and 8 have been improved significantly this update! Please update if you have an older version.

version 1.02

- Fixed 1001 small things not worth mentioning.
- Added comments and pings to make the quests clearer.
- Removed the most annoying soundclips (but decided to keep some in)
- Brushed up some of the Dialog. There are still some typo's left for those who are really into that..
- Added "hardmode" cheat to Chapter 2/4 and 6 to increase the AI diffculty to insane.
- First attempt of balancing the AI a bit more.
- A small tooltip revision was done as requested.
- The melee bonus map got a little make over and some easter eggs.
- Countered critical bugs in Warclub and Endure.
- Redone Rage and Tribalism to counter a strange slowing of units.
- Added Snowcloak ability for Ogre of Ice
- The Chieftain can now cast Bladestorm in a group of 8 trolls.
- Added new easter eggs such as Robe of Boreas, Ancient Turtle, IceBolt etc
- Skinned the campaign screen :) (Although a bit ugly..)

version 1.03

- Fixed errors in cinematic skips
- Fixed native troll race and techtree
- Added a unique cheat in chapter 6 enabling a secret hero and an alternate story.
- Improved the icebolt system a bit
- I tried to balance the AI a bit better
- Added a new puzzle in chapter 6
- Added custom cheats, available as easter eggs or in the final map.
- Countered critical bugs, allthough the mass freezing of units in chapter 6, II may still cause errors.. If this occurs, please type "debug" after Boreas morphs into the avatar, as it should help.
- Optimized the triggers a bit more.
- -------------------------------------
- Version 1.03b fixes critical bugs in chapters 4 and 5. I disabled the wrong triggers.. D'OH!
- Minor fixes as I was working anyways.

version 1.04

- Enabled variable difficulties for each level.
- Lowered the Tribalism treshholds to promote the quest levels.
- Added several hints and comments based on reports by new players.
- Fixed the Icebolt upgrades in Chapters 3, 7 and 8.
- Fixed a bug in the melee map dialog.
- Redid the AI in Chapters 4, 6 and 7 to variable timed attack waves.
- The AI is now compatible with variable difficulties.
- Improved Chapter 8 terrain to a more epic oasis.
- Added optional quests to Chapter 8.
- Fixed the bug that prevented Alvar from appearing this chapter.
- Improved the Chapter 7 terrain to promote the chapters strategy of expansion and make the map feel more structured.
- Replaced this chapters third quest by a series of spawning events.
- Added some structure to the 2nd chapter terrain.
-----------------------------------------------------------
- Replaced Chain- to Forked- Lightning, removing a faulty trigger.
- Made the Tuskarr AI in Chapter 1 attack less frequently
- Fixed minor bugs mentioned below.

Hints:

This section contains some hints regarding the strategy for each level, small spoilers ahead..
Reveal hints per chapter

Chapter one: The food limit and available resources are limited; try to keep your units alive by adding items, buying upgrades or buying mounts from the beastiary. The tuskarr can be recruited as an ally after completing that quest. The demon forces will not launch an attack on your base before you enter their base in the far Northwest corner of the map.

Chapter two: Scavenge the woods for usefull items. If you engage in combat an alarm will sound attracting guards. The generators require a specific strategy to take down. You may lure the guards away, disable them with Freeze or Bash or deal secondary damage to the Generators using specific items. Be creative. In the second part: Try to abuse the Tribalism ability by clustering your troops. Use the "hardmode" cheat for a greater challenge.

Chapter three: Have Dagar enter a cave to move up or down in the dungeon. There are several extra's to be found in the optional quests/puzzles. If you can find 5 of the seven coins Knobbs the Merchant will appear near the fountain in the upper mountains. You can get the Robe of Boreas near the Shadow Demon in the Ruins.

Chapter four: Try to push an early attack with both heroes. When you've researched enough you can have Dagar cast a spell at the well in exchange for more time and the highest upgrade tier. At certain locations Dagar has a special frostbullet ability, you can use it to flip switches across water. These bullets can be controlled as in the Chapter 1 Minigame.

Chapter five: This is were you get creative, the circles of power represent mini puzzles that you can solve by casting a Hero/Unit ór Item ability in the circle, in few cases you might even place an item directly into the circle. These special puzzles are not limited to the circles and secondary effects occur at other places as well. If you can think of something so creative that it doesn't work, but you think it should, please PM me an I might put it in!! Blue Fire needs a buff, Magic things need to be de-magiced, switches need pressure and certain lakes can be targeted (look for the obvious). More explicit hint can be found somewhere in the blabla of the comments.

Chapter six: Use part I to obtain the proper items/hero for part II. Note that you don't need to destroy the camps directly, use diversions to sneak into the catacombs, or certain items (there are shops in both parts). If you had completed the natives quest in part I, you will gain a powerfull ally in part II. On replay there will be a special easter egg in part one that enables you to clear the fire. Also a series of cheats is available in the part II treasure room that enable a secret hero.

Chapter seven: Again, you may opt for stealth and early raids to provide fast results. You can let the demons do the dirty work while you set up camp. If Brutus enters a circle of power you will have two minutes to kill him before you lose the game. Try to fortify the second gold-mine and the one east of the basecamp in the beginning to avoid expanding during the second part.

Chapter eight: You can take items from previous quests to kill the bosses, or look around in this map. Defrost and kill the undead heroes to gain extra time. There is a hidden laboratory to provide you with extra sappers halfway. To deal with the distance you can upgrade your troops with items or go back in the beginning. Destroy the iceblocks to kill undead on the spot, so you don't have to deal with them later on and get some easy gold to buy units in the beginning.

Note that Ragnar, Tricksah and Torga may ferry items to the next level if you manage to keep them alive.
[/list]

Credits:

Show Credits

MODELS: WillTheAlmighty, Gottfrei, Amigurumi, Pyritie, DonDustin, Hawking, DanvanOlhus, Mc!, Illidan(evil)X,Kitabatake, Chillakilla, MeteORA, Calahan, Happy Tauren, Hellblazer-14, Happy Cockroach, Skizzik, Weep, Sellenisko. And YAY for the UTM :)

ICONS: Mr. Goblin, Army-of-Pandas, Crazy Russian (Many)
Juan_Ann, Lieutang, cedi, Kershbob, Sundance, FrIky, alfred_totn, NmSAM66, The_Avenger's_Return, LiOneSS, BlackDoom, THe Silent, Tonic, VaLkYrOn, Stanakin Skywalker, Paladon, Kitabatake, NFWar, WoW.

SKINS:
MountainGiant - FrIky
Herobloodelf - Hueter
Skullsplinter - Juice_F/Norinrad
Warlock - Afroknight_76

CRITICAL FEEDBACK & MAPTESTING:
Cleavinghammer, Worstcase, Turnro, Supertoinkz, Forsaken_Ranger and many more.

NOTICE

The campaign was suffering from random crashes on latest patches. The issue has been fixed. See this post for information plus the newly saved and attached file (patch 1.30.4).

Keywords:
Troll, Icetroll, Dagar, Northrend, Avatar, Avatar of Ice, Zulzujas, Ice, Cold, Campaign, Arctic, IcyMapMaker
Contents

Reviews
14:32, 1st Aug 2010 ap0calypse: Approved
  1. Worstcase

Worstcase

Resources:
    Resources:
    Woot! Sounds to me like you got yourself a lot of work ahead of time, but it sounds like the end result will be quite amazing all the same. In any case, I think after reading this I will have to go back now and try out Map 5 again with many of these hints you've given me.

All in all, I wish you the best of luck with your update. I will wait eagerly till then. :cute:

2. venus0310

venus0310

Resources:
    Resources:
    oh it well

3. venus0310

venus0310

Resources:
    Resources:
    i like campaign map

4. Forsaken Ranger

Forsaken Ranger

Resources:
    Resources:
    Other things

Another thing I was wondering is in chapter 2 during the siege when it says reinforcements and upgrades are available, did the upgrades happen automatically or do you have to research them? I can't remember because I deleted the campaign since I know you're going to post an updated version. If you do have to research them, where do you do that? Also now that I think of it, in chapter 3 if you've taken the central or right paths, there is one particular rock formation that when you destroy yields an emerald piece for the item the mage is going to craft. This is located at the bottom near the right side of the map. The problem is that the emerald spawns on a cliff above where the rock was that you cannot reach. I tried using the owl scout from the consumable intelligence rune to pick it up, but it said that it cannot. I know you probably did not mean for it to spawn up there, but it just needs fixed is all.

I also have an idea regarding those runes if your interested. I don't know how many runes there are exactly but I know I got two of them, the strength and the intelligence one. The idea is maybe having an option to combine all the runes into a craft-able reusable item that adds to all the attributes and maybe has a special ability added to it. There could even be a specialization in the item. For example, if it were forged by an NPC, you could have him/her give a choice as to which specialization the item will have: strength, agility, or intelligence.

Basically, here would be the effects of the item depending on the choice of specialization.

If You choose:

Strength
    adds +3 intelligence
    adds +3 agility
    adds +5 strength
    ability: summons the furbolg that the strength rune would summon if consumed, one furbolg at a time of course either permanent or for a duration whichever.

Agility
    adds +3 intelligence
    adds +5 agility
    adds +3 strength
    ability: either summons something similar to the strength rune or has an effect relating to agility. (I don't know if there is an agility rune so I'm just making that one up.)

Intelligence
    adds +5 intelligence
    adds +3 agility
    adds +3 strength
    ability: summons the owl scout or something else again either permanent or for duration like the furbolg, maybe has an attack or just some cast-able spells or abilities.

This is completely up to you of course, I just randomly thought of it as I was typing the above message and decided to write it down. Hope your progress for updating is going smooth.

5. miyon

miyon

Resources:
    Resources:
    I love your campaign so far.

Im currently on chapter 6 and though I have been having some issues with the previously mentioned bugs I just wanted to tell you that this is one of the most enjoyable campaigns I have played in years.

For those people playing this campaign now, if you can't get past the problems in chapter 3, skip to chapter 4 for now. I plan on going back to chapter 3 when it will work for me but I wanted to keep going ahead with your storyline that I jumped to chapter 4.

Once the bugs are worked out I think this will be one of my favorites. Very original additions to the game. You have added so many new features and options that it makes it refreshing to play W3 again but also you didnt over do it, making new things just make them.

I'm not going to list out the bugs or other things I've noted yet that havent been mentioned because I figure you are busy working on the stuff already mentioned. Maybe Ill note some stuff down and let you know after I finish the campaign. Or if you want let me know and I can let you know now.

6. Sage Chow

Sage Chow

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Dear all,

After some hard work I'm very close to releasing a new update but please be patient a little longer. There are still several stubborn bugs in the core that I need to fix, and a few unexpected new bugs that for some reason did work in the old version but not anymore. In the meanwhile: Don't use Warclub on non-blizzard trees or use Endure while getting smacked by Chain Lightning ;). The bug that slows icetrolls and yeti is caused by adding/removing abilities and will be fixed in 1.02. The coming update will feature:
    - improved dialog (no more "man", more in character)
    - less soundclips (But I only removed the most annoying parts)
    - better tooltips
    - updated abilities
    - better quest descriptions and hints/pings telling you where to go
    - More AI on the easy parts (Short boss scrips, events etc) but also a weaker AI in the base-construction levels. You will be able to play a better AI in these levels by typing the cheat "hardmode"
    - a new snowcloak ability for the Ice Ogre, increasing defence in snow storms
    - various new easter eggs, artifacts and other candy.

Conclusion: wait another week or so and there should be a much clearer campaign.

@ forsaken ranger: I also decided that bringing the runes together should result in something after that hard work :) I liked your suggestion, but ended up doing something else. The armor is researched automatically, maybe I should add a comment somewhere.

@ miyon: Thanks for the support! As you may have noticed I'm a big fan of simple unit abilities over the regular X times agility spells. I've tried to incorporate some other idea's as easter eggs in the next version.

7. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Great, an update! Here's hoping the caves'll work...

Please fix the Battle stations ability as well, the trappers get in, but they don't get out...

8. Turnro

Turnro

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    I have been playing your campaign, and I must say that your ideas are very original. An Icetroll race is something I would have never thought of, and you have done a good job with the Icetroll techtree and units. I also like it how Summoners can freeze goldmines and harvest gold.

However, from playing the start, I got the impression that this is your first campaign. There are quite a few bugs and unbalances, which affect the quality of the campaign. As a campaign maker, I can pick these things up easily, and can tell you things normal players would never consider. You can find out by reading the reviews I have written for the Prologue and Chapter 1.

Prologue
    Normally, Interludes don't have that many problems since there is no gameplay, but there are a couple of things I noticed.

- When moving the camera, it seems to go off-path. The camera would go through doodads and trees in some parts. You should have a look at it.
    - You should check all of your maps for grammar and spelling mistakes. They tend to be common throughout the campaign.

What I found to be annoying was the cinematic speeches. The Narrator would say something like:
    "A long time ago.."
    The next line would be something like:
    "A long time ago, a very long time ago..."
    This may be a bad example, but what I am basically trying to say is that when characters would give a new transmission, they tended to say the whole sentence(s) they said in the previous transmission. Throughout the Prologue, I fell into the habit of reading the same sentence more then once, and I didn't have enough time to read what was new. If you want to have a sentence lead off another, use this instead:
    "A long time ago.."
    "... a very long time ago..."
    You may have a different opinion about this, but your campaign is the only campaign I have seen to do this. You may choose to leave it, but keep in mind that you will confuse the player the first time they play the campaign.

Chapter 1
    I will firstly begin with bugs\errors I found. Some of these you will know already.

- During the first cinematic, a troll has a question mark, or a 'TalktoMe' special effect above his head.
    - Troll ascents don't seem to be right. The biggest giveaway was that they said 'man' instead of 'mon'.
    - The quest where you kill the Furbolgs works, but it doesn’t seem quite right. If you are only suppose to kill the Furbolg Champions, how come you are shown the amount of normal Furbolgs you have killed? Later on when I was able to reach the Tuskarr camp and crossed the bridge, a message appeared that said that it was advised to completed the Furbolg quest before I continue on. Don't you complete the quest when you return to the Icetroll Fisherman after killing the Furbolg Champions?
    - It might be me, but the Icetroll Trapper units tend to wander randomly, even when you order them to stop. You should look into this, as player controlled units are not suppose to randomly wander unless for an intended purpose.
    - There is a problem with the Frost bite ability with Dagar. The problem isn't turning units into snowmen, it's turning a snowman into a snowman! You should change Forst bite so that you cannot use it on units that are currently turned into a snowman.
    - Units can walk through the mountains in the northern part of the map. I noticed this when I attacked the Tuskarr base and demons came out of nowhere!
    - In the cinematic when the warlock talks to the Tuskarr Chieftain, the warlock randomly started to attack the Tuskarrs!
    - You don't get enough gold in the starting goldmine. In fact, nearly all of the goldmines have hardly any gold in them. I had to spend-wise my because I had limited resources. You should look into it.
    - There seemed to be a problem with the amount of units I could get. After building all of these Icetroll igloos, I could only get a food limit of between 40-50. However, I checked the upkeep and it said I could get 100 food. If you want to limit the user in food usage, it is advised that you don't use triggers. Use 'Gameplay Constants' instead.
    - I haven't looked at the triggers through World Editor, but I got the impression that you used triggers to set the Icetroll Summoner's gold harvest animation. It was alright, until the gold from the goldmine was depleted. The Summoners still did their channelling animation, even when I ordered them to do something else. What you could do to fix this problem is to get into Warcraft 3 modelling. You don't have to know a great deal of it, but where modelling will come to use is with your Icetroll Summoners. You can apply harvest animations to them from other units. It saves from having triggers and completely eliminates the Summoners animation problems.

On a side note, Icetroll Trappers and Priests are the only units that you can get from the techtree in the first chapter. It would be alright, if you weren't required to assault enemy bases! You should be able to train more units. Although you can recruit Mammoths and Dire Wolfs from this random Icetroll place, you can easily miss it. I only found it by mistake.

Many of the problems with the first chapter are not to do with the bug\errors that I previously discussed. They are more to do with the triggers and gameplay. What people do before they release a game to the general public is that they test it for problems and unbalances. From what I read from the description, you had not tested the campaign when you uploaded it onto this site. This is bad! You need to check for bug\errors to make sure that it goes precisely how you want. Below are some parts of the game that are to be tested especially:

Cinematics - The main problems aren't necessarily to do during the cinematic. It is before and after. There is a lot to explain, but the idea is to get the game to start precisely where it ended before the cinematic played. An example is with the cinematic where you first confront the Tuskarrs. The cinematic began when I came across a couple of Tuskarr scouts, and all of my warriors were together. When the cinematic finished, however, my units were all over the place. I had Dager and Ragnar at the Tuskarr base and my Icetroll Trapper was by himself, next to the now hostile Tuskarr scouts. I really didn't want that trapper to die, but there was nothing I could do to save him. When playing cinematics during the gameplay of each map, take the following things into account:
    - If you don't want certain units to appear during the cinematic, you can hide them so that they can't be seen. The only problem is that you have to remember to unhide them when the cinematic has ended.
    - If you don't want units to do anything during a cinematic, you can pause them. It doesn’t stop them from moving altogether, though. It just stops them from moving from one place to another, attacking, harvesting, etc. Then once the cinematic has ended, you can unpause them. There is a step further in this, as there is a trigger which allows you to pause\unpause all units so you don't have to pause\unpause each individual unit.
    - During the cinematic, I noticed that my units were still selected. Imagine, watching a cinematic being played and having a considerable amount of units with green circles around them. Before a cinematic starts, you are able to set a variable to the units that the player currently has selected, and then clear the player's selection of units just before the cinematic plays. When it has finished, all you need to do is set the selection of the player to the variable, which is the units that the player had selected before the cinematic played.
    - The main thing you have to remember is to leave the units controlled by the player unless for an intended reason. If you want particular units to be in a cinematic (like Dagar or Ragnar), you can create 'fake' units, which is just creating a whole new unit. When the cinematic has finished, you will just have to remove the unit from the game. Keep in mind that for units that are created during the game, you need to set variables for them so you can order them to do things.
    With the last suggestion, you probably intended to have Dagar and Rangar at the Tuskarr base when the cinematic finished. If that’s the case, you may have to move the Tuskarr scouts closer to their base, since it is a fair way to travel.
    Also keep in mind that the beginning and end cinematics in each map do not need to be tested for these errors, since gamplay has either started or ended.

AI - This is pretty self explanatory. You need to check that the AI for the computer players is right in terms of what units they get, what buildings they build, the size of their attacks, how often the attack, etc. In Chapter 1, I had the enemy bases attack me quite frequently.

Finally, you said in the description of your campaign that you wanted your maps to be blizzard-like. The trick is to make the gameplay as close to the normal Warcraft 3 campaigns as possible. Here is some advise:
    - When showing quest messages, have the layout of the text relatively the same as it appears in the normal Warcraft 3 campaigns.
    - When approaching the trolls with a 'TalktoMe' special effect above their head, make the cinematic play when your units are in a certain range of the troll and not when you select him.
    - Give the option to the player to skip cinematics when they want and not before the cinematic plays. Giving them 3 seconds before it plays is not a good idea, because what if they fail to skip it in time or they are halfway through the cinematic and randomly decide that they want to skip it? I suggested this to Aeroblyctos in his campaign 'The Chosen Ones', but he ignored me. If you are having difficulty, open up the Demo Campaign in World Editor and see what triggers and actions have been used.

So far, I have only played these maps, so not a lot can be said at this time. I was planning to play more of it, until I saw that you will be updating this campaign very shortly. I want to see the changes you have made, so more up to date feedback can be given.

If you have any questions or queries, feel free to contact me. I can't give you a rating at this point, because I haven't got far into your campaign yet.

9. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    * Weird bug on the fourth level: there's at least one place where Dagar's Frost Bullet changes from a targeted ability to "fire in the direction he's facing".

* And on the fifth, I've seen a grand total of three working circles of power: The two ice wall ones, and one where you get a snowmaker.
    ** Also, the second village I reached said it was the third, change the texts to read "another" and "final", or something like that.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2010
  10. Sage Chow

Sage Chow

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Turnro,

Thanks for reviewing my campaign so far. I've played some of your maps aswell and it means a lot that you've taken the time to give me some tips. You're absolutely right in suspecting this is my first campaign. A lot of the things you've mentioned are probably the result of my beginner mistakes. There are a lot of good points in your reply that would have been usefull earlier on in the process. It might be an idea to add a tips section to the campaign tutorials. I made every mistake in the book, so i have quite a few of my own xD

Cinematics:
    - The things mentioned for the prologue are these beginner mistakes. I should have planned the dialog in word and planned the camera movements. The rolling dialog was an attempt to create more action in the cinematic; like those old gameboy games. I won't change much of the cinematic anymore. It's a bit subpar but thats allright with me.

- I respectfully disagree that a cinematic should end where the game pauzed. If your characters move in the cinematic, why not move them in the game?
    However: It does make for an easy cinematic skip sequence, especially hiding units and making dummy characters. I will definitely use this in new campaigns, as it makes the cinematics easier to controll.
    - I did replace the 3 second skip by another method in the smaller cinematics later on. But because I create units and have camera movements I need to disable the skip when units are created to avoid double units.
    So my question to you: How do you stop your cinematic trigger from running after you've skipped? The camera/transmission/create units actions still run on the background, this can be very annoying. I had to make an "if trigger is OFF then skip remaining actions" check to avoid this. But I would need to place a lot in long cinematic sequences, and even more complicated ones in the unit creation triggers.
    I hope you understand why I can't change some of these triggers and why i made a choice to use aeroblyctos' method there. In later maps I did try to separate actions from cinematic by creating a "settings - cinematic - more settings" sequence allowing the cinematic to be skipped. I guess this is one of those tips that should be in a tutorial aswell..
    - Actually: I do use 'pauze all units' in every cinematic, its just that this damned tuskarr cinematic is such a pain. I guess i'll use your hide units trick there and rewrite it a little.
    - The selection of units is something I never thought off.. You're right, units should be deselected.

AI
    The AI editor and I didn't get along well :( I made an elaborate condition and attack wave AI for chapter 6 Pt II, but the map was lagging for an inexplicable reason and i made the AI simple melee-typed.. Now I realize that using Warclub on non blizzard trees by AI units or the endure/chain lighning combo may have caused some crashes aswell.. (fixed in update)..

In this update they will be balanced to be beatable (around 50 food per AI and smaller attack waves). Having solved a lot of other bugs, i could try to incorporate the attack waves again. Is there a relation between lag an AI? Or can it be caused by the AI not understanding my custom spells? In a later map a mission is to permanently freeze (pauze) enemy units. This caused some major problems.

Chapter 1
    "there was little gold in the goldmine, i had to spend wise", "I could only get trappers and priests and mounts at that random place"
    Well that about sums it up, you build a small camp to familiarize yourself with the techtree. You may want to get the mounts to gain the upper hand. I chose the foodcap trigger because I didn't want to lose gold to upkeep. You need to keep your troops alive, by spending on upgrades and items, abuse tribalism etc. Note that you can get a troll sapper by doing the stupid dialog (to be changed). I could slightly increase the gold capacity, or give a gold bonus for completing quests.

The goldmine summoners are controlled by triggers, I made this system three years ago and was very proud that i could make it all work without modelling. Offcourse by now i realize that this is highly ineffecient xD. The reason the animations continues is the locust ability on the iceblock that prevents the removal of this dummy. I modified the trigger by a stack. I guess i'll just rename the spell animation of the witchdoctor..

Why would you snowman a snowman?? ;) I'll add the ancient tag to the dummy..

Finally, your suggestion of opening up a standard campaign in WE was a revelation. I never knew this was possible. I do realize that the quest messages are slightly different from the regular ones. This is an advice i will take to a next campaign.

Cleavinghammer,
    Thanks, Keep em comming!! :)
    *Added stand down to the igloo's
    *The change in frostbullet is not a bug. It's a secret ability allowing you to flip the switches across the water (like in the Ch 1 minigame). There's a spot near the water in the camp (i'll add a special effect on Dagar to mark it) where you can shoot the switch near the gate.
    There is a secret area where you must shoot the switches to obtain items and an Ogre.
    *The Circles in CH 5:? Do you mean you got only three to work? I'll send you some tips if you need them.. maybe the puzzles are too hard.. For instance you can bowl the ice-pillar past the first camp. I added cinematic skips and exclamations in the update.
    **I'll change the dialog.

OK, lot's of work for me.. I'll try to modify some of the AI things before the release. Back soon!

11. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    ^ Except that the bullet dies when it hits the water, and the switch can be attacked normally anyway from the other side of the gate. (And you should make the location of the spring clearer, remove the black mask from its location and have it pinged.)

About the circles: I got the icewall ones to work (send snowball into it), and casting warcry in another got me a snowmaker, but all others had no reaction when I cast snowball or warcry.

12. Turnro

Turnro

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    When I suggested some tips for the cinematics, I stated that the starting and ending cinematics of each map do not need to have all of the settings. In your case, the units do not necessarily need to be paused.

Camera movements are automatically stopped once you have issued another order. If you reset the camera at any time, all camera movements will cease.
    As for the units, all you need to do is create the unit before the player is able to skip the cinematic.

You would be glad to know that you are on the right track. What you're missing is variables. First, create a Boolean variable (a Boolean is a true or false statement). Give it a name that you will easily remember, like 'Movie1Skipped'. When the player skips the cinematic, set the variable to true. Before each necessary action in the cinematic trigger, add an if statement. In my case, it is 'If Movie1Skipped Equal to True, then Skip Remaining Actions, else Do Nothing'.

There is still a better method to use. Go to the Advanced button in the toolbar, and select Gameplay Constants.
    Advanced > Gameplay Constants...
    You will find that you can edit quite a bit, but most importantly, you are able to edit the amount of food you can get, as well as changing the upkeep. In your case, you will be able to change it so that the player can never have upkeep, even if they have full population!

13. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Beat level 5:

* Strange bug which I think is caused by skipping the intro cinematic: all items which require puzzle solving are already out, so pushing down the switches isn't needed (and does nothing).
    * Why does that one yeti thank you for his bear? You've never seen it before...
    * The Magic Pen barrier doesn't respond to any spell (though some of the items can be picked up if the unit is close enough).
    * Make the pig bigger, it looks too small...
    * Give the healer yetis a different model (oracle, for example) so one can tell the difference.
    * The boss fight: the avalanche only worked once.
    ** Also in the cutscene, the camera goes straight through the Elder.
    * In several cutscenes, the camera can still move around (if you move the mouse to the left edge of the screen, the camera goes left, etc.).
    * Make wood available in all shops, it's annoying to backtrack all the time...
    * A problem with Snowball: The distance traveled by the snowball is nowhere near the distance you can cast it at (That is, tell the Elder to cast it at maximum range, and the snowball will die maybe halfway to the targeted unit).
    * There's a circle of power in the southwest corner that doesn't seem to do anything...
    * Two other bugs:
    ** Sometimes the unit portraits disappear for some reason, though the only change in gameplay is that the unit isn't centered on when the portrait is clicked. It goes away after a while, though sometimes it reappears.
    ** At some point the second optional quest was marked as completed, even though I never discovered it.

For level six:

* Why on Earth do the Felguards have Lich voices?
    * Which yeti ancestor are you supposed to kill? They're all named Yeti Ancestor.
    * Make the Meteor ability kill trees as well...

14. Sage Chow

Sage Chow

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Lots of text on both our accounts: My point is that your set up of cinematics is way more efficient: Hiding all units and creating actors separately.
    * Unfortunately in the long cinematics I didn't use this. I load Dagar in the ship, and then I can't move him instantaneously, I create Ragnar halfway etc.
    * The trigger keeps running: I also use a boolean trick (slighly different) to stop small cinematics. But in a long sequence I would have to incorporate 20 or more checks for every action. Also camera movements are nót reset by the skip if you add waits in the trigger <Cleavinghammer: these are the portait "bugs" that you've observed, resulting from "transmission from unit">.

Conlusion: Next time i'm using your method from the start, but i'll keep the slightly annoying 3 second thing instead of rewriting the long cinematics (again).
    I'm aware of this. Out of pure curiosity: why would it be better to use the gameplay constants over the normal trigger: set food cap/max (which doesn't apply to all players so the AI can do what it needs to do)?

Cleavinghammer,

You got me just in time.. "Done" to all points! The second quest IS the bear one, so that's why you've never seen it. Added comments etc. The Iceblock over the magic pen can be destroyed but is hard to target, reduced life so you can take it out with a single blow/snowball. The items thing is weird.. maybe its just the items in the blue fire field?

Further:

* Changed to Grom, do you have a better suggestion? The satyr and bandit ones just sound too high for my tastes and the orcs keep screaming "for the horde!" all the time.
    * Haha, yeah not so clear on my part. It's the hero magnataur one.
    * The meteor ability dóes kill trees, although not in this level (the custom models lack a proper death animation).

In principle, i'm now done with the major updates. I'm just going to see if I can skin the campaign screen somehow so that Dagar appears instead of Arthas.

15. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Nope, it's every single puzzle on the map, including the book of teleport.

Also, towards the end there are a few tomes of experience, you might want to change them since by that point the hero's reached max level.

The Felguard already has a soundset, I dunno why you'd want to change it...

16. Sage Chow

Sage Chow

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hmm, that's not good.. I'll have another look, maybe i already noticed this and changed it in my version. The tome of experience fest was there because you absolutely must be at lvl 6 to cast snowstorm to advance to the next level. It was a kind of failsafe. Maybe i'll drop a few. Obviously most items should have been hidden there aswell..

17. cleavinghammer

cleavinghammer

Resources:
    Resources:
    Aaaand in the latest news, it seems there's some kind of game-crashing bug on the sixth map, no idea why.

(The error message reads "The instruction at '0x6F40B341' referenced memory at '0x00000028'. The memory could not be 'read'", don't know if it'll help. I got it when trying to load a save before killing the last cult member.)

This might actually be my computer's fault, so if no one else encounters it, don't worry about it.

Also, the Meteor Impact spell needs tweaking: the damage is done before the meteor lands.

18. kkots

kkots

Resources:
    Resources:
    The cinematics in this campaign are very long and uninformative, so they should be skipped even if you never watched them before. However you introduce a whole new story based on original Wc3 characters. And you set up a good atmosphere in first mission, that encourages the player to play on. Some mini-game are frustrating, yet amazingly simple and interesting.
    There are lots of side quests, so if the player gets bored and overpowered, there will still be something to do in each map.

The terrain is very detailed, but some places are not as good as the rest of the territory.
    You used invisible platforms (on ladders) inaccurately, as I could, on some places near those towers, walk over the palisade. That does pose a problem, but it can be easily solved using JASS and basic geometry.

As a minor map moderator, my duty is to give this piece of warcraft a thumb up.

19. Sage Chow

Sage Chow

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Hahaha! Best comment so far! I hope for my sake you're trying to tell me that all cinematics should have a skip ability. Because when I read the post it looks like your advice is that I just throw all the cinematic in the garbage.. LOL, so much for delicasy.. xD

The minigames are frustrating? I played them a lot and made the score to get a prize a little harder each time.. Maybe I got really good at them.. Although the chicken still have me screaming at the screen too, but I also smile because I made them so annoying.

I never got into Jass, so I wouldn't know how to do that, but I should have used pathing maps anyway. The little towers are just a little extra in the terrain, so I won't bother too much with them anymore. I did fix some of the pathing blockers.

Thanks for the heads up!

20. BlackKnightTGS

BlackKnightTGS

Resources:
    Maps:
    Resources:
    Great campaign, haven't finished it yet, but I've found a bug:
    The Tribal Icon in the inventory doesn’t show, shows the empty inventory icon when I pause.
    For now 4/5 :D