• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Autodesk Maya

Status
Not open for further replies.
Level 6
I'm asking if it's possible to create model and animate them with Autodesk Maya 2011. Is it possible to convert a model from Maya to .mdx?

Level 12
I don't know about that but Autodesk is generally for high-end professional companies or professions. In the modelling world, there are two types of models: Low-poly and High-poly. Low-poly means the model has less polys, therefore less of everything including vertices, details and fluid animation. High-poly is exactly the opposite. Wacraft III only uses very low poly models, as the game is unable to support models of such high detail.

Autodesk costs thousands, meaning it's meant for professionals, companies and industries. It's totally unessesary to purchase software such as Maya to develop models for Warcraft. There are some considerably good and cheap software out there that is used more commonly among the modelling community such as Milkshape and Blender.

Save your money, your time and yourself.

I think he already has it...

Definitely you can make and animate models there, but IDK if you can do wc3 models there... but it might be highly possible...

@Arcisal - wc3 supports High poly models... but its highly not suggested because of 1)High file size and 2)It doesn't really fit much... and this becomes more apparent when High Poly is mixed with High res textures...

Level 17
use 3ds max, I'm using 2009 and I'm yet to encounter a problem with the NeoDex script.

as the game is unable to support models of such high detail.
it has nothing to do with wc3, but crappy computers. Warcraft 3 used very low poly models because there were no computers able to handle more back in 2002.
ironically higher quality textures take their toll much more than hi-poly models.
warcraft 3 can display 2+ million polygons (other than terrain which is around 67,500 polygons at 256x256 map size which is around 65,500 squares of 64 pixel texture) at playable framerates (ofc not if your rig is worth of museum exhibit)
as to engine limitations there are none, really.
Seeing that even 14 million polygons on-screen do not make it collapse.
its drawbacks are lack of advanced shaders and that the engine renders even the hidden geometry.

Level 6
I don't know about that but Autodesk is generally for high-end professional companies or professions. In the modelling world, there are two types of models: Low-poly and High-poly. Low-poly means the model has less polys, therefore less of everything including vertices, details and fluid animation. High-poly is exactly the opposite. Wacraft III only uses very low poly models, as the game is unable to support models of such high detail.

Autodesk costs thousands, meaning it's meant for professionals, companies and industries. It's totally unessesary to purchase software such as Maya to develop models for Warcraft. There are some considerably good and cheap software out there that is used more commonly among the modelling community such as Milkshape and Blender.

Save your money, your time and yourself.

I'm asking for Autodesk Maya cause I'm presently learning the software at school and I have a free(and legal) copy via the Autodesk Education Communauty.
Maya is like 3ds Max, it's not made especially for create low poly but you can. I don't really want to learn 3ds Max cause I've no time for understand a new software.

Status
Not open for further replies.