• 🏆 Texturing Contest #33 is OPEN! Contestants must re-texture a SD unit model found in-game (Warcraft 3 Classic), recreating the unit into a peaceful NPC version. 🔗Click here to enter!
  • It's time for the first HD Modeling Contest of 2024. Join the theme discussion for Hive's HD Modeling Contest #6! Click here to post your idea!

Auction house to get the chop...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
In a move that has surprised millions of people, Blizzard has decided that the Diablo III Auction houses (both Real Money and Gold) are to be shut down in Match 2014. This will leave the game without any such trade facilities come the expansion which is sparking much controversy.

Their logic behind the change is that people will no longer need to trade. However many people fear it will turn Diablo III into another Diablo II where cheating and third party sites were the only way to get ahead.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
I personally have no problem with it being cut as long as they cut all trade or at least cut all end-game trade (so all good items are account bound on pickup).

Sadly I kind of liked the auction house. It made getting the stuff I needed a lot easier. I never used the RMAH, only the GAH where I would sell good stuff that I did not need for stuff I did.

I understand the feeling Dr Super Good, having that facility was pretty nice, although, the downside was that it made monster slaying nothing but a dreary grind because the good items would rarely drop (for me anyway) that 100% of the gear on my chars are from the (G)AH. So instead of periodically being surprised by a good drop I just didn't bother and amassed gold to buy stuff on the AH.

Imo, removing the AH will do more good because it will be that element of discovery back to D3 (with loot 2.0 ofc).

This said, I am going to buy all the worthwhile legendarie while I still can lol.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
This said, I am going to buy all the worthwhile legendarie while I still can lol.
Do not bother. Even a low 70 one will beat any existing top end one by a huge margin.

Imo, removing the AH will do more good because it will be that element of discovery back to D3 (with loot 2.0 ofc).
Only if they remove all sources of trading. Otherwise people will just go to third party sites to get all their end game gear while hackers will be forced to hack more on the chance of finding something good.

What they need to do is make all targeted rares and legendaries account bound. As these are the best sort of item, they would be the only end-game items for people to use. If they cannot be traded then there will be no trade economy which will remove the need of auction houses and also make your accounts a lot less targeted for hacking.

Magical and normal rares should be trade-able but that is because they are weak and you will hardly see people trade them outside of give-aways.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
it is just that the AH as it was made trading too efficient.
There is no "middle ground". You either have very efficient trading for a level playing field or you have no trading for a level playing field.

In Diablo II it was stupid when 1 day into a ladder someone had an Enigma because they brought the HRs using third party sites (D2's GAH/RMAH) where as I never, ever found a single HR, let alone the ones needed for an Enigma. I would also have to spend days trying to sell single un-identified torches and even then 1/3 of the people tried to scam you.

This is why they should remove all end-game trade if they are removing the auction houses. This way there will be no need to ever trade apart from in a friendly charitable way as you are levelling up. It would also mean hacking becomes no existent as items are worthless so there will be no incentive to hack.

Level 16
Their logic behind the change is that people will no longer need to trade. However many people fear it will turn Diablo III into another Diablo II where cheating and third party sites were the only way to get ahead.

Sadly I kind of liked the auction house. It made getting the stuff I needed a lot easier. I never used the RMAH, only the GAH where I would sell good stuff that I did not need for stuff I did.

In Diablo II it was stupid when 1 day into a ladder someone had an Enigma because they brought the HRs using third party sites

Ok so. A third party site in Diablo 2 is cheating. Paying money to get good items = bad.

Wait a minute. Lets look at this again...

Sadly I kind of liked the auction house. It made getting the stuff I needed a lot easier.

This is the problem. This is how most people see the auction house. Open your eyes....The Auction house is EXACTLY THE SAME as a third party site from Diablo 2. The only difference is Blizzard supported the idea in Diablo 3.

I am so surprised the Auction house has gone. I am so surprised. Looking at the expansion I thought. Nope! Not an expansion in the world can fix this game. But removing the auction house. Wow. The new director is starting to bring back Diablo. He's got the balls to make some major changes! I can't believe Blizzard finally admitted the Auction house was ruining the item drops. And nobody confessed their ignorance and apologised to those who knew. Thank god the auction house is getting the boot. We just need to see some more changes though.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
This is the problem. This is how most people see the auction house. Open your eyes....The Auction house is EXACTLY THE SAME as a third party site from Diablo 2. The only difference is Blizzard supported the idea in Diablo 3.
That and that it is 100% safe as Blizzard will not hack your account or scam you.

The new director is starting to bring back Diablo.
Only if all trade is removed. Otherwise scamming, botting and hacking will run even more rampant that now.

My luck is bloody shit. I never found a HR in Diablo II. How on earth will I get anything good in Diablo III without an AH to trade the junk I do not need for items I do. I will constantly get 1337 gear for some other builds except the damn build I want.

If people start to trade via third party sites there is no way I can compete with a decent class. I will have to stick to very low MP, lower than I currently do due to nothing good ever dropping that I need. However these cheaters would be paying for the best end gear and would be flooding the trade markets making everything good only purchasable via real money on third party sites or for the odd over priced item that some one else does find who has no idea of its value that they then proceed to flog for a profit.

In short...
No trade = No botters, no account hacking, no gold spammers, completely fair.
Trade but no AH = Huge number of botters, even more account hackings, much much more gold spammers, completely unfair for people who just want to play the game they brought instead of play the third party sites that support the game.

Thus the only logical solution is to account bind all max level legendary and rare items as they are the best gear. No one cares about serious trade with "second best" gear or gold if it cannot buy you the end game they want. All third party sites will also pull away as they cannot trade anything for money so there will be no bots and no hackings.

Level 37
but yeah, it will be bad if they remove the AH but maintain trading...

I don't think it will be that bad. The AH is just too efficient method, that is why it has to go. But people still want to trade, it is an exciting way to get items to some. Trading items is part of Diablo. Not allowing any trading takes away some of that player to player interaction.

Dr Super Good

Spell Reviewer
Level 64
w8, why is No trade = No bot? You can still bot to try to farm for the item that you want...
Because it is quite easy to realize that 99% of robots were run for commercial reasons. Mainly because all of them get banned eventually which is not acceptable for private use where as commercial use writes new accounts off as a expense.

Trading items is part of Diablo.
Which is why the Auction House should stay as that is how trade should be. If you do not have an auction house then hacking, scamming and third party sites will run rampant. The only people who benefit from the removal of the AH are the third party sites as their profit will sky rocket. People like myself end up having to spend more hours for even worse junk than currently as there is no way to trade anything below "the best" and even then 3/4 people will try and scam you (just like Diablo II).

The problem isn't just the existence of the auction house itself, but the excessive botting caused by it. The auction house made it very easy for people with bots to profit, causing more people to bot just for the sake of real money profit. The flooding of bot-farmed gold and bot-farmed items into the auction house made the average quality of things available through the auction house superior to anything most players would ever find while playing.

Status
Not open for further replies.